Calories burned and MFP #'s

So I know if you use a HRM or something you're supposed to subtract the calories you would have expended just by living from the ones you burned during your workout, but does MFP do that for you with the exercises you log here? Like if I tell it I walked for 45 minutes did it already subtract the calories from living for me? I know MFP is prone to over estimating calories burned, so I usually under log my time - if I walk an hour I log 45 minutes. Should that be enough to even things out? Am I over thinking this?

Replies

• Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    I personally think half is more sufficient. I would rather under estimate calories than over.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    In my opinion you are over thinking this. I just log my calories exactly as my HRM says them, I never subtract my "living" calories but I also don't log a lot of the walking I do (I'm a student so I spend a lot of time walking around campus).
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    In my opinion you are over thinking this. I just log my calories exactly as my HRM says them, I never subtract my "living" calories but I also don't log a lot of the walking I do (I'm a student so I spend a lot of time walking around campus).

Exactly.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Simply put...

MFP = Generalization that is purely an estimate (Everyone's body is different)
    HRM = An accurate rate