over on protein bad or good??

awaito
awaito Posts: 18
I have left over calories today...yay! however I am over on my protein. Does anyone know how this affects my plan? Is this a bad thing or is this more of something that won't really affect me?? Help!

Replies

• brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Nope. You're fine. As long as you're not exponentially over or you're exercising, no worries.
  • Being over on protein is not a bad thing.
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    don't know if it's bad or good but i'm almost always over my protien and i'm still losing weight and inches so I really don't worry about it LOL i think if you're doing a lot of strength training the more protien would be a good thing but i'm not a personal trainer or nutrionist so don't take it from me LOL!!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Your body tends to get rid of things it doesn't need, so I wouldn't worry too much. :D
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I don't think being over in protein is a bad thing as long as you your calories are within the limits. Protein helps keep you satisfied longer. I raised my protein and lowered my carbs.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    I typically go over on protein each day and under on carbs, but I am insulin resistant so this is better for me. Oh, and I have lost 11 pounds in my first 20 days on MFP, so it must be working!
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Your body tends to get rid of things it doesn't need, so I wouldn't worry too much. :D

If thats true why do people get fat or suffer from toxicity?
  • radeey
    radeey Posts: 4 Member
    as long as you don't drastically exceed being over it will not hurt you still maintain a good balance protein carbs and fats with a strict workout plan and you will see surprisingly fast results.
  • cheetahcub2010
    cheetahcub2010 Posts: 62 Member
    The worst thing that'll happen is your body will have to get rid of the excess nitrogen and your pee with be extra yellow.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member

She said 'tends to' get rid of things... not 'always does'... naturally, your body tries to adjust to use what it needs and discard the rest in normal circumstances... but if you consciously overeat or consume substances that is high in toxicity, the circumstances are no longer normal and therefore people would get fat or suffer from toxicity...

Why is that even a question you'd raise? It's pretty obvious.
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member

She said 'tends to' get rid of things... not 'always does'... naturally, your body tries to adjust to use what it needs and discard the rest in normal circumstances... but if you consciously overeat or consume substances that is high in toxicity, the circumstances are no longer normal and therefore people would get fat or suffer from toxicity...

Why is that even a question you'd raise? It's pretty obvious.

It was meant rhetorically. But you need to remember protein contains calories and they can be converted into fat storage molecules. Its not true to say you'll just excrete it.
  • awaito
    awaito Posts: 18
    Fantastic! Thanks guys! I was worried..but the general concensus is that i'm going to be fine :) I'm aiming to get back to my original weight before my desk job 3 years ago :(.. in time for my wedding :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Protein requirements on MFP tend to be set low anyways so I wouldn't worry about being over. You said you still have calories left over so you're fine.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Very true... rhetorics get lost on the interwebs lol

I find it so difficult to keep track of these specifics, i just boil it down to the majority... if you see the results in the longterm, I try to not take much focus on the minor details.

Thanks though.
This discussion has been closed.