Do you ever miss your old habits?

Options
2»

Replies

• kbcara
    kbcara Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If I know I have a visit to somewhere special where I'm bound to want to order old favourites (I'm talking nice restaurants/great cooking not fast food rubbish), I force some extra activity into the day before/day of/day after and allow myself a night off but plan my menu for the rest of the day/next day to ensure it is just 1 night off. And you know what? More often than not, it isn't as good as you remembered it to be!!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If I eat out, I order what I want, but I ask for a to-go box upfront. Before I take the first bite, I take half of the food and put it in the to-go box. I eat what's left.

If there is something I like that's healthy, I'll get that. But if not, I employ the above trick and it really helps. Plus, that way I get two meals for my money! :wink:
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    No really.. my old ways left me sick, fat and miserable.. don't miss that at all.. it's all about making the better choices and I choose health and life
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    No, I don't miss my old habits.
    I can't eat heavy foods without feeling sick. I can't even eat 1 doughnut without feeling awful. So I take it as a good thing.

But I do eat lots of great food and I am still able to have treats.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I do miss eating anything I felt like whenever I wanted and not giving it a second thought.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't miss it but that's mainly because I really haven't stopped. The trick that works for me is that I don't have quit eating my favorite things, I just can't have all my favorites all the time. My habits have changed quite a bit and I find myself craving healthier foods a lot of the time but if I'm somewhere that has great carrot cake then I'm going to have some great carrot cake and not feel the least bit guilty about it. I don't feel deprived these days so I don't go completely off the wagon and start eating everything that doesn't get out of the way. Been there, done that and it wasn't pretty at all:)
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    Yeah it happens to me but then i think back to all the weight loss and think "do i really want to sabotage all my hard work???" But its ok to have a cheat day once in a while! this is what i do, i order what ever i want and ask for a box with my meal. then when my meal comes, before i even take a single bite, i put half of it in a box. That cuts your calories in half! You dont need to eat all that anyways! then i eat slowly and drink a lot of water so i feel fuller. That way its a win-win situation! i get to eat the yummy food but i dont get all crazy and feel like a blob afterwords! Its ok to cheat once in a while :)
  • MsCNicholleD
    Options
    NOPE!! The craving for what is yet to come is greater than any urge to splurge food wise!!!

Love this. :)
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Why not order what you want, ask for a to go box up front, and box up like 2/3 of the meal (or even 1/2)? You still get a treat, and might go over your calories, but you are not doing all the damage you could be doing by eating the whole plate. Plus if it is already in the box, you are not tempted to eat more of it.

And I do miss drinking soda. But I had to give that up because of a medical reason. It was either drink soda, or be in sever pain a lot. I found that I really crave it when I am stressed out, but I just kind of ignore the craving.
  • meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been serious about a strict diet for about 4 weeks and i havent had any major issues yet. That being said i try to avoid dining out for that reason. When i see people eating bad food or excessive amounts of food i just think they are poisoning their bodies and i want mine to be fit and healthy so i feel sorry for them instead of jelous. That being said i've only been on a serious diet for 4 weeks, ask me again in 3 months
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes I absolutely do get sick of it. I miss eating whatever I wanted. Now I have to watch it. Eating poorly leads to an early death. I've had two friends (men) die in the last month from heart attacks. Occluded arteries. This is when it hits home...when your friends die basically due to poor diets. They were not even 50.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I rarely miss my old habits, because I still indulge in them.

I bought some delicious cookies today on my lunch break. Then, at the end of the day, I thought about all that I ate and felt like it was a lot. So, I put my sneakers on (and my sports bra) and grabbed the jump rope. I don't feel one bit bad about those cookies, but I didn't sit there and let them stick to me either.

I don't think two bites of anything is going to ruin a whole day.

Lately, I find myself asking my husband for a bite of whatever he is eating. That way, I can experience what it tastes like, but I don't have to eat the whole thing (or even half of it). He gets annoyed, but once he realizes that I will stop after that one or two bites and leave him alone, he's ok with it. It might actually save him some calories!

Sometimes watching other people eat is awful, and it really sucks when they want to share it with you. Then, realize that you don't need a whole cupcake, or a whole order of fries to enjoy it. I like having just a bite or two, but then going back to a meal that I know won't make me feel sluggish later.

There is something about letting a piece of chocolate melt in my mouth, or savoring a greasy bite of whatever. That's just it though. I can savor it. I eat crappy food for entertainment and for cultural experiences. I eat healthy food for nourishment and fuel. By recognizing that each has their place in my life, it helps me know how much of each I actually want to have.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yes but I remind myself how I fel the week before I started (crying every night) and how amazing I feel now.

I also have before pics on my phone.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I REALLY REALLY miss being able to eat. It sucks *kitten* eating healthy. Most stuff tastes like crap but I know I need to do it. I allow myself some of the bad crap as a treat occasionally so I don't completely derail myself. But still.... oh to be 11 again!
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    Very, very occasionally, but not enough to make me feel miserable. I love the feeling of being healthy, of feeling like I'm in control. The sense of accomplishment that comes along with it far outweighs the disappointment of not eating that cheesecake!
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    I rarely miss my old habits, because I still indulge in them.

I bought some delicious cookies today on my lunch break. Then, at the end of the day, I thought about all that I ate and felt like it was a lot. So, I put my sneakers on (and my sports bra) and grabbed the jump rope. I don't feel one bit bad about those cookies, but I didn't sit there and let them stick to me either.

This has been my mindset as of late. I really try to not feel "guilty" about what I've eaten, even if it's a "bad" decision. Instead, I take control and I go work out.