Workout nutrition

Options
I do my workouts first thing in the morning (6am) and must have breakfast beforehand, at about 5:25am. My current breakfast during the week is oat brits with 1/2 cup milk, which is about 210 calories.

I was wondering whether it would be beneficial to swap this for instant oatmeal made with water (130 calories) with a protein powder. As I usually aim for a 150-200 calorie breakfast, I don't really want to add a whole lot of calories with the protein powder (on my calorie budget, there is no room for 400 calorie breakfasts) but since it is a workout day I could probably live with 250 calories if I had to, if this was beneficial to my workout nutrition.

I have not done post workout shakes in the past - I need to eat for satiety, and I don't have a few hundred calories to throw away on a beverage (1600-1900 cals/day doesn't leave a lot of room for non filling calories). I do protein bars though, I usually have one as a mid morning snack after my workout (at 8:30-9:30am).

So what do you think? Is it worth trying a protein powder with my porridge for breakfast? Would the extra cals be worth the improved recovery?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Would the extra cals be worth the improved recovery?

Are you having issues with recovery, or are you having any other problem that is leading you to seek changes in your pre-workout breakfast?
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Well it would be nicer to feel less sore after a workout, but I haven't had real problems with my workout or recovery, no.