Feeling a bit low...

Options
Hullo you all,

Sorry if you have seen many posts like this but I am just feeling a bit low and need some motivation.

I am really trying to stick to my goals, but I keep going off track. I just need a bit of support. Anyone else out there struggling? Or maybe anyone who is good at motivating people? I would love to hear how people motivate themselves.

Also, Good luck to everyone with their own goals :)

Replies

• liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Aww.. We've all been there..! Although I'm quite new to MFP, I know that feeling. One of the things I do to try and alleviate myself of guilt and self doubt is think of positive quotes.. the best one I've found so far is in my sig. If you think about it, it's very very true.

I'm also very big into visualization and seeing the image of what and who I want to be over and over. I tell myself that that, is what I'm doing all of this for. I may take a few steps back here and there, but if i can help it, that image is what I want to take steps to every single day.

You may have fallen off for a few days, or a week, or a month..but you can't change the past, so let it be the past, turn that frown upside down, and smile as you walk toward the new you!
  • ledmands
    Options
    Hi there! I know exactly how you feel; it seems like if I make one bad choice, it snowballs into a bad week of choices and so on. You will get there though. I told one of my other friends on here, it is not how fast you make it to your finish line, it is just that you get there. I do not know if I am the best motivator, but I am definitely willing to jump on board as anyone’s cheerleader! What are your goals? What do you want to do? (Other than just loose weight) I have gone 2 weeks now with out loosing any weight, I have sure enough hit the dreaded plateau but, I can’t let that stop me, I know it is time to push harder. I think that is the best time to push your self. Now I am not saying that is a justification to eating fast food by working out an extra 45 mins. Thinking like that is what takes a hold of people. I’m here if you want to talk, vent, or swap tips :wink:
  • elinorrose
    elinorrose Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well thanks both of you for your lovely replies :) It's absolutely true that I need to stay positive and it's a good idea to visualise the end goal, that is a real help. I'm looking to loosing a bit, but also trying to tone up. A few years ago when I was around 10 pounds lighter I felt much more happier, right now I feel sluggish with the weight I am. Just looking to be healthier really. Eat better and do more exercise (I have always really shied away from vigorous exercise). I think just having people around to support really helps, as there is no-one in my life at the moment who I can talk to about this kind of thing. Thanks for the comments :)
  • melelana
    melelana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If I may, One more suggestion:

If you're having trouble sticking to your goals, think a little smaller. A few weeks ago, I had a BIG day planned. I had class all day, from 9 AM to 8 PM, and I was going to use my 2 hour lunch break to go to the gym, sweat like mad, take a shower, and get to class. This required me getting up early to make a lunch I could eat quickly to maximize time at the gym. Unfortunately, I slept in and didn't make lunch. I considered throwing the workout away alltogether and going out to lunch, but instead, I had a not quite as healthy lunch at the cafeteria and took a not quite as intense walk on the campus hiking trail.

Lesson: be kind to yourself... do what you can, and you'll get more done than you think!
  • elinorrose
    elinorrose Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You certainly may! Thank you. All advice is welcome, and you could be right. I do tend to plan out big plans and often they don't work out quite as I would like. I will take that on board :)
  • Cookie_4
    Cookie_4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You are not alone... We're ALL struggling or else we wouldn't have found MFP :-) What has been working for me is looking to the message boards at night, especially the success stories! I've come to find that there are more people like me who have struggled with weight and self esteem who have been able to reach their goals through persistence.

I'm only one week into being back on the wagon so trust me, it's definitely a struggle for me but I keep trying :-) Good luck! You can do it