I need to stop cheating!

Options
I've been on MFP for a few months now, and during that time I've been on my best behavior. I've avoided sweets, sodas, excessive amounts of cheese, etc. My alcohol intake also has declined, and I exercise/ride my bike an hour 6x/week. Over the past week I've had cravings for candy and ice cream, and I've given into the cravings. I'm still under my calories for the week, but I'm annoyed that low nutritional food is accounting for over 1/3 of my caloric intake. I'm hoping this is a "ok, I needed that, but I don't need another bite for 6 months," however, I have a feeling these unhealthy habits are going to snowball on me. For example, I rewarded myself with a Reeses around Halloween. That lead to a ton of fun size candy bar consumption. After that, I've slipped into eating a bunch of ice cream and a fair amount of bread. I used to try to get my carbs from fruits and veggies, with the odd bits of wheat bread here and there. Alcohol consumption is going back up. Any tips to get back on track?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Cut out all the sweets for a while until you lose the craving. Also, see if there's an underlying cause (stress, etc.) for your cravings.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm doing that, but there's always "something" going on for sweets. Today, it's my roommates birthday, and a few of us baked brownies and had ice cream. I gave in. There's also stress, as finals are coming up. I'm managing stress by going on a bike ride, which I will do after finishing this post, but I'm annoyed that I'm slipping into old comfort eating habits.

I'm trying my hardest not to make excuses; I know what I need to do is have the will power to just say no. Easier said than done at the moment, though.
  • JenniCH
    Options
    I feel ya... I went from almost a year of "no cheating" (some indulgences here and there) to the last 1-2 MONTHS being riddled with cheating... some days worse than others.... this weekend I finally laughed at myself and decided enough is enough and that I refused to tumble all the way back down the hill that I worked so hard to climb! I just decided that my health and my self-confidence were worth way, way more than some sweets and tons of junk food. We all stumble a little (or a lot) here and there, those times aren't important...what's important is that you stop justifying bad habits, realize what you are doing and get back on track!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Or, allow yourself the things you enjoy in moderation. Depriving yourself will make it more difficult to change the way you eat for the rest of your life.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a few months now, and during that time I've been on my best behavior. I've avoided sweets, sodas, excessive amounts of cheese, etc.
    Any tips to get back on track?

This is the problem. Allow yourself one or two small, planned sweet treat every day, making healthy choices the rest of the day, staying within your daily goal or earning the extra calories with exercise. Then you won't be tempted to "cheat" or binge on everything you've been avoiding. Just tell yourself, I can have this today and that tomorrow. Pre-plan what you will have as your treat for the day. And stop thinking of it as CHEATING! Works great for me!
  • Junofreddy
    Options
    Oh goodness I know that feeling! I bought about $15 worth of candy and didn't get a single trick or treater. Now I have this huge bowl of candy in my house and no one to give it to so I have been munching on it here and there. You know, to get rid of some of it. ;) But I've made sure to stay under my goal caloric intake. My sugar and stuff is high, but at this point, I don't really care. lol.
  • seventwenty
    Options
    Or, allow yourself the things you enjoy in moderation. Depriving yourself will make it more difficult to change the way you eat for the rest of your life.

I'm trying to do that, and I am trying to build enough of a dietary cushion for such indulgences. I've only gone over my allotted calories twice in the past month, and I got back on track. This time though, I'm fighting my body, and it's annoying. I guess all I really want to do is just vent, lol. I've tried to recruit some people onto MFP, and it's annoying being the only one who wants to make a change. Oh well, enough venting. I know what I need to do, and I need to accept that not every day, or every week, will not be perfect, and that it's okay to enjoy the smaller things in life.
    And stop thinking of it as CHEATING! Works great for me!

Haha so true. I'm actually under my calories for the day, and I did actually make healthy choices, besides eating way too much ice cream. I think my problem, besides being a perfectionist, is that the ice cream gave me a stomach ache. Lesson learned; avoidance and bindging hurts my belly!
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm totally in the same boat! My sister started me on MFP in late January. I was great, I kept within my calorie goal, and allowed myself a small piece of chocolate, like a Dove chocolate promise each day. I did really well until about July. Then our anniversary came around... then it was a birthday and so on. I have not totally gotten back on board. I feel like you and I just need motivation. I have actually written a similar post today.
    I would like to be your friend, and hopefully we can give each other a little extra support.
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't easy if you are living with others, but I just do not buy junk food unless I feel I absolutely need to have it. For me, having chips or chocolate in my house is just a welcome invitation for me to eat it. If I know it is in there, I usually can't help myself.

If you do often crave the sweets and you don't want to deprive yourself completely, try some lower calorie options. For example, I buy 100 calorie Dairy Milk thin chocolate bars as opposed to my favourite 260 calorie Caramilk bar. Or instead of chips you could get unsalted pretzels or non-buttered popcorn. Portion size is another thing. If you really want ice cream, tell yourself you are only allowed one scoop ( either a day/week, whatever is best for you). Sometimes I do this and worry that I will want it more later, so I end up giving the craving up altogether.

One last tip is to drink a sip of water between every bite when you are eating. This actually makes you eat slower and fills you up faster.

Good luck! :)
  • seventwenty
    Options

I would like to be your friend, and hopefully we can give each other a little extra support.

Let's do it!
    I know this isn't easy if you are living with others, but I just do not buy junk food unless I feel I absolutely need to have it. For me, having chips or chocolate in my house is just a welcome invitation for me to eat it. If I know it is in there, I usually can't help myself.

If you do often crave the sweets and you don't want to deprive yourself completely, try some lower calorie options. For example, I buy 100 calorie Dairy Milk thin chocolate bars as opposed to my favourite 260 calorie Caramilk bar. Or instead of chips you could get unsalted pretzels or non-buttered popcorn. Portion size is another thing. If you really want ice cream, tell yourself you are only allowed one scoop ( either a day/week, whatever is best for you). Sometimes I do this and worry that I will want it more later, so I end up giving the craving up altogether.

One last tip is to drink a sip of water between every bite when you are eating. This actually makes you eat slower and fills you up faster.

Good luck! :)

I will say this about my roommates, we're all trying to eat right, and we do give some encouragement. I think I'm just having a stressful day and looking for some new stress outlet.

I have replaced some of the junk foods with healthier options. My chips are homemade sweet potato chips, for example, and I do drink boatloads of water. I'm at 14 glasses today!

I'm not trying to belittle anyone's advice on here. I'm very appreciative that you all are giving me the advice you are; it's giving me perspective. I made this thread in stress out mode. Now I'm thinking, "Their advice, while you already are doing it, is working for them, and their advice will work for you. Don't sweat the small stuff!" So, thank you all for that.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. The past week or two I've been slacking on my protein intake (which means I've been making it up in carbs). Still losing weight, but I don't feel as full or as energetic as I did when I had a higher protein intake. I need to get it together ASAP.