Watch carbs, calories or both?

Options
First off I want to say I am a carbaholic so I've been trying to cut back on that. I'm just wondering what would be the most beneficial to lose weight? I don't have a lot to lose but since January I've been losing a lot of inches but not many pounds and wondered if it was from the carbs.

Take today for instance, I'm allowed a daily carb intake of 1540 in order to lose weight. I worked out today and burned off 350 calories so then I can have 1890. Well It's now 7:30 and I've taken in less than 1100 calories but I'm over on carbs by 1 already. I know my lunch had a lot of carbs so that was part of it. I manually set my carbs to 40% so I don't know.

Also I love sweets and if I cut them out completely that's when I fall off the wagon. I've been having low calorie snacks like sugar free, fat free pudding. Are things like this going to sabotage my weight loss or is this okay in moderation? What else should I eat tonight. I'm so confused.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Watch calories. Carbs don't make you fat.
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    People are so interested in carbs and sodium. If you want to lose weight, eat less calories than you burn. It's not nearly as complicated as many people try to make it.
  • Eleni3
    Options
    I have tried low carb diets, and while I lost a great deal of weight, it always comes back. I started MFP a little over a month ago and have lost 18 pounds without watching carbs. I am enjoying my food and never feel hungry. I feel so much better. The weight loss is slower, but I feel this is something I can stick with. Best wishes. You will do great!
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, eat less calories than you burn. It's not nearly as complicated as many people try to make it.

This should be posted on every thread, about every thing.
  • billrlogan
    billrlogan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree, calories are what you need to watch
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    People are so interested in carbs and sodium. If you want to lose weight, eat less calories than you burn. It's not nearly as complicated as many people try to make it.

This unless you have a proven medical issue that prevents you from eating them (and yes there are real medical reasons to watch carb intake).

If you are losing inches keep doing what you are doing, the number on the scale is only one way to measure your success!
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would say you do need to watch the carbs because they turn into sugar and then fat. Some carbs and sweets are fine and if thats what makes you happy, go for it. However try to chose healthy carbs and to eat a little less if possible, Like whole grain and bananas. Try to tell yourself, "Well I can have a sandwhich with bread for lunch, or I can replace it with a high-fiber wrap and then I can eat those carbs (from the sandwich bread) as a dessert for dinner." After all I would much rather have a slice of pecan pie at the end of the day rather than two pieces of white bread at lunch.

As for tonight, do you have any dark chocolate available? Or you could have a piece of fruit? Fruit tends to be higher in carbs, it's true, but it is sweet for a dessert and healthier than many desserts.
  • drusso1491
    drusso1491 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    what everyone else has been saying... if your calories in < calories out youll lose weight... law of thermodynamics never fails
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    what everyone else has been saying... if your calories in < calories out youll lose weight... law of thermodynamics never fails

and i guess i am just a freak, but that is another thread.

you can try it either way , see what works for you