Don't take the container with you!

Whenever I wanted a snack, I always brought the bag with me. When I started here, I started take out serving sizes and putting the bag or container back. When I was done with my serving, I realized that its really all I wanted anyway and it was enough to satisfy me. The other day I brought the bag back and obliviously grazed all day. I didn't really notice how much it affected my diet. I kept saying, "oh one more won't hurt." by the end of whatever I was doing I had 10 extra. Seems like common sense, but I didn't think of it!:embarassed:

So I'm telling you! Don't forget to put the container back where it belongs when you go snacking!!! :drinker:

Replies

• michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    GREAT tip!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Thanks! Great idea!
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    I have learned to do that also. It really helps!
  • VitaLeta
    VitaLeta Posts: 19 Member
    Even if I'm not measuring out an exact serving. I always dish it out on to a plate or in a bowl. Seeing it all in one place makes it easy to see how much you're eating. Nibbling chips out of the bag and before I know it the whole bag is gone!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    The practice of eating only the stated serving is an excellent educational habit. I did that (on purpose) during the first few months and I think I learned a lot. It certainly kept my tracking in order as well. In the U.S., so many of us serve ourselves way more than we need, and putting that container away is a great first step.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Too true!
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    If it's something I know I'd have a problem stopping eating, I take the container and divide the whole thing into single servings. I put them in ziploc baggies or tupperware containers. That way they're already portioned and they are easy to grab if I'm having a busy day.
    It also lets me see " I only have 3 more bags of ___. If I have more today, I won't get any tomorrow. Do I want it now or then?"
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    This is my number one rule. Toughy, since I can't get my husband to follow it, so when we are watching a movie he brings over a full back of tortilla chips and salsa, my biggest munchy downfall. I'm starting to politely just take the bag and put some in a bowl for him before returning the bag to its spot.
    For anyone that doesn't have kids, so doesn't know this, kid-sized take-with-you snack bowls are perfect for adult snacking.
    I use these for myself way more than for my toddlers :)
    http://www.learningcurve.com/wps/portal/global/redirector?wpContentNode=wps.portal.product&wpActionName=ACTION&ACTION=targetSKU&wpForward=true&wpAction=action&sku=Y1032A3&locale=en_AU&locale=DE_DE
    You can find those or similar at just about any walmart-ish/baby store, sometimes I even find them at the grocery shop.