Will I suffer from joint pain in old age?

Options
One of my worries with exercise other than swimming and maybe yoga, is the impact it has on knees, ankles and other joints especially as I age (I'm in my early 20s). Is this a real worry or just another excuse my brain has concocted to get out of exercising?

Replies

• jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    General accepted thought is that exercise actually strengthens your joints and bones as opposed to damaging them.

The idea that running will leave you crippled in later life has been largely dismissed.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm no professional, but . . . It sure seems to me that if you are otherwise healthy, exercising now is not going to jeopardize your long term health. In fact, I would say just the opposite. Overweight people suffer more from joint pain than healthy weight people because of the stress the weight puts on their body. Building muscle will help protect your joints! If you're worried about joint pain in old age, start strength training now and keep it up for life.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You can certianly hurt yourself exercising if you're not careful, but exercising intelligently should help you as you get old.