I want to be a runner!! Advice??

I want to be a runner and train for a race someday... but sometimes it is hard to run for long stretches because I have had knee surgeries and other issues! I managed to jog for about 15 minutes today, but the pain started to get bad (I can power walk with no problem, and I walk for an hour a day). The doctor says there is nothing wrong with me running and it doesn't damage my knee, it just hurts. Is there any advice on how to combat the pain? I am thinking that once I lose weight that it will ease the knee pain. Does anyone have any experience with this? Advice? I will take anything :)

EDIT - How does one go about training for their first race? What is involved? I am so clueless about the whole thing... and when I research everything comes from people who have done it for awhile. I need some beginner's advice!

Replies

• Maputi
    Maputi Posts: 49 Member
    I am training for my first half-marathon. I am going to walk it. Try walking longer distances/times and see if it gets better.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    try running for a few minutes then walking for a minute, then running again. If you use walking breaks you can usually run for longer distances and times. Also make sure you have a good pair of shoes and stretch after (not before) your run. Maybe try a foam roller? Does your doctor have any suggestions to ease the pain (since they gave you the go-ahead to run)

Try icing your knee afterward as well.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    google couch to 5k. that is what I am doing.
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    its probably not your weight, because you don't look overweight at all. do you wear any kind of brace? i tore my MCL last summer and have to wear one when i run. and before races, i take 2 motrin.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Go see a doctor let them know what your plans are then once you get cleared make sure you get a good pair of shoes
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Definitely try intervals, and look up Couch to 5k. That will help a lot. What kind of knee issues do you have? I have subluxing patellas (basically my knee caps pop out). On Saturday, I ran with a lady who tore a meniscus in both her knees and is back running. It can be done! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. I know how frustrating it can be!

Edited to add: I run with a patella stabilizer on one knee and an Ace bandage on the other (until I can get a second stabilizer)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    C25K! love this program. Couldn't even run the mile back in highschool, now I can do 2.5 miles. I comfortably run a mile just about every day thanks to this program.
    http://www.c25k.com/
  • You probably need to strengthen the muscles in your legs as well - I have problems with my knees, and a sports medicine friend of mine suggested doing some squats and lunges to work the leg muscles.

Also, stretch a lot! I started C25K before I broke my foot (unrelated injury to running) and was loving it! Hopefully you can do work into something like that and have some progress without pain.
  • try running for a few minutes then walking for a minute, then running again. If you use walking breaks you can usually run for longer distances and times. Also make sure you have a good pair of shoes and stretch after (not before) your run. Maybe try a foam roller? Does your doctor have any suggestions to ease the pain (since they gave you the go-ahead to run)

Try icing your knee afterward as well.

The doctor said that pretty much I am out of luck as far as easing the pain goes. He said when I am about sixty I can get knee replacement surgery.... hahaa. So in the mean time I just try to listen to my body, take some advil once in awhile and see how much I can do before it gets unbearable. To no surprise, the doctor did say that exercise would be good for my body as a whole, so I am trying really hard to exercise each day, which includes one hour of power walking.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    The doctor said that pretty much I am out of luck as far as easing the pain goes. He said when I am about sixty I can get knee replacement surgery.... hahaa. So in the mean time I just try to listen to my body, take some advil once in awhile and see how much I can do before it gets unbearable. To no surprise, the doctor did say that exercise would be good for my body as a whole, so I am trying really hard to exercise each day, which includes one hour of power walking.

I was told, when I first blew out my knees, and also by several doctors after that, that I would never be able to run again unless I had both of them replaced. I ran with that (pun intended :embarassed: ) for almost 12 years only to find out that they're not always correct :smile:
  • its probably not your weight, because you don't look overweight at all. do you wear any kind of brace? i tore my MCL last summer and have to wear one when i run. and before races, i take 2 motrin.

I am overweight, even in my picture my BMI is almost 29... I am just tall (5'10) and I guess it distributes the weight? haha. I need a good brace... the one I have falls off all the time. They all seem to. I am not sure if I should get a smaller size or what. I have never consistently exercised in my life prior to two weeks ago and I am still learning a lot.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    I've had knee issues for years and this past Feb, I had a lateral release surgery to correct out of track knee cap.

Best advice is to strengthen your leg/glutes and muscles around your knee. Ask your doctor for a script to see a physical therapist? My PT made running possible for me again with proper strength training!

I agree about shoes, too - good shoes are a must! lol
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    More Couch to 5K love (recent graduate here!), along with heavy squats. Welcome to the club! :D
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Yup, C25K is magic... Took me from the couch in January to running a 12k race in August and training for a half marathon now!
    There are lots of beginning runner programs out there - google it and you'll find heaps. Or just go straight to C25K!
  • rmb8
    rmb8 Posts: 15
    Couch to 5K - iPhone app - I just started it last night! :)