Yoga for Beginners video recommendations?

Options
I'm interested in learning yoga for the purpose of improving flexibility and stress relief. I don't have the money to pay for a class/instructor, so I'm hoping to get some great DVD recommendations. I have basically NO experience with yoga, so I'm looking for videos that emphasize proper form and allow me to take it slow.

Do you have any recommendations for me?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MisoSoup79
    Options
    I'm interested in learning yoga for the purpose of improving flexibility and stress relief. I don't have the money to pay for a class/instructor, so I'm hoping to get some great DVD recommendations. I have basically NO experience with yoga, so I'm looking for videos that emphasize proper form and allow me to take it slow.

Thanks in advance!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Yoga for Weight Loss with Suzanne Deason is a good choice. There are 4 different people you can follow, depending on your level.
  • Lily31667
    Options
    Hi check out CollageVideo.com, they have many exercise dvds and videos for beginners to advanced. I checked my catalog and they have several yoga dvds for beginners, the firm yoga for beginners comes with a block and strap and is about 30.00. If you go to the website, you may even be able to watch a portion of the dvd online. Also, I know there is a Pilates for Dummies dvd out there, maybe there is one for yoga too. Also, if you have Time Warner Cable,you can preview exercise dvds on exercise on demand, if you have that in your area.

Laura
  • missmez
    missmez Posts: 104
    Options
    It's a few years old but it's a good one - New Yoga by Kathy Smith. I had it on VHS but recently got it on dvd. Still like it a lot. And Charlotte from Sex in the City is in it. :smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!
    Hey there Miso,:flowerforyou:
    I get some newsletters and here's one in particular that might interest you and help you decide what to purchase or you may find enough free online vids to watch that you can use then see what they recommend to purchase. There are lots of online 20minute vids or so to do Yoga with.

http://iyogalife.com/
    Personally I think if a person has never done Yoga before I would definitely recommend taking some in person classes (if at all possible) to be sure you learn the proper form of the poses in person the instructor walks around the room and helps correct (and enourages each person) (not in a bad way, but a kind and helpful way) a certain pose if you need to change your footing or are leaning to far, not far enough, etc. I think tapes are wonderful and I use them at home myself but I also take a class at the gym and am not sure I would have felt as confident learning from a video when I began a year or so back...I think I might have missed so much from a person to person contact class. Just something to think about.:flowerforyou: But you might be very different and feel very comfy using a vid :flowerforyou:

You won't need blocks or straps or anything more than a mat or large towel to first start out, that way you can see what you like and what type of Yoga you're most interested in before you put to much more money into it...there are MANY MANY varities.:drinker:

I also subscribe to Yoga Journal & Yoga mag...both of them GREAT!!!!:love:

Hope you enjoy that site, I may have other that might interest you as well..:flowerforyou:
    FC:heart: