A Question for the Muscular Gym Pros!

Options
Soooo I'm the type of girl who walks around the gym aimlessly for 2 minutes between each exercise trying to decide what to do. I also have to read the instructions a lot.

I always wonder if you people are secretly watching me and laughing to enjoy my cluelessness. So I figure, why not ask. If you saw me doing this, would you laugh? Or are you all in your own little adrenaline fueled world and not likely paying attention?

Seriously curious. Because I think if I watched myself at the gym, I'd probably be laughing real hard at myself.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Most are too into their workout to notice what someone else is doing

if they do notice they have a case of "f*ckarounditis" :wink:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to others unless if they are in my way, are using the equipment I need next, or if they are being extremely loud and annoying!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I would not laugh, but I would probably have the urge to suggest to you to plan your workouts. You should know exactly what you're going to do - exactly what exercises, how many reps, how many sets BEFORE you even enter the gym.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to anyone else, unless they happen to be using the equipment that I wanted to use, lol.

Go to bodybuilding.com for videos of all the different exercises. Bring a log of exercises with you, so you can not only have a plan of attack, but can also record your progress. You will find that your workouts are more intense...and shorter...doing this.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    OK, so you people posted at the EXACT same time as me and it seems we have the same train of thought. :flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't even notice what others are doing, unless they are sitting on a machine I want, and are texting and chatting and not getting on with it.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would not laugh, but I would probably have the urge to suggest to you to plan your workouts. You should know exactly what you're going to do - exactly what exercises, how many reps, how many sets BEFORE you even enter the gym.

LOL I wish you went to my gym & told me what to do.

I always do a lot of cardio and then I pick a few machines to use but I guess that's probably not as effective hahaha
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

This. You want to keep going and not waste time. I can do 27 sets in the time most do 9.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

LOL I wish you went to my gym & told me what to do.

I always do a lot of cardio and then I pick a few machines to use but I guess that's probably not as effective hahaha

In all honesty, no it is not as effective. You should pick out some exercises beforehand that hit different muscle groups and go from there. Right now I am doing 3 total body weight training routines a week, and each routine has 8 exercises (3 sets of each exercise) and I do 1 exercise for each of chest, back, shoulders, triceps, biceps, quads, hams, and calves. I have the exact exercise for each written down, so when I go to the gym, that's what I do without wasting any time at all.

I would also suggest doing your weight training BEFORE your cardio. You can lift heavier and more intensely if you do it before cardio, but lifting heavy will not kill your cardio workout.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    if you walked into my garage gym and walked around aimlessly I'd probably have to put in my 2c worth on some stuff to do :tongue:
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Soooo I'm the type of girl who walks around the gym aimlessly for 2 minutes between each exercise trying to decide what to do. I also have to read the instructions a lot.

I always wonder if you people are secretly watching me and laughing to enjoy my cluelessness. So I figure, why not ask. If you saw me doing this, would you laugh? Or are you all in your own little adrenaline fueled world and not likely paying attention?

Seriously curious. Because I think if I watched myself at the gym, I'd probably be laughing real hard at myself.

Nope hardly notice people at the gym
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You should just find someone and ask them for some help. Be honest. Tell them you are not sure what to do. I have found that, at my gym alt least, most of the people are really willing to help anyone out.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    No I wouldn't laugh at you.. cause I've been that girl!

I don't really plan out my exercises per say, but I have a running list in my head that I've learned from my personal trainer, and make sure to hit each muscle group in my strength training(I do full body workouts at least 3 times a week).

See if your gym has a trainer that you can talk to for a session to help get you started.