Exercise and autoimmune trigger?

Options
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody else has an autoimmune condition whereby they find exercise can actually trigger them off on attack mode? I overdid it yd (I didn't really, it was very mild, I was just walking and I really wanted to run) But I overdid it because I got a flare up. I find that exercise, unless its mild and easy can set me off. It's so frustrating when you're trying to get fit. I just wonder if anybody else has this problem and if/how they've overcome it?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have noticed some flare ups also since i started jogging :(
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's linked but I've been diagnosed coeliac this year - 3 years since starting to exercise and at my peak intensity (and lowest weight).
  • beliot
    Options
    Every single time!!! I like dance classes and every time I have gone to classes at least 3 times in a row, i am down for the count for at least 2 weeks. Not to mention, my joints got worse because i didn't realize i was in a flare at the time (didn't feel bad yet, the next week diagnosed with uveitis). I can only do about 6 minutes on the elliptical and still be continually functional.

I hate feeling like I have to start over all the time. I go into a flare and then have to start back at 3 minutes. But I figure it is the nature of the beast. But I totally understand the frustration! (been dealing with autoimmune issues for 15 years now)
    What exercise are you doing?

P.S. i also notice i do not lose weight unless on an immune suppressant or prednisone. I don't know if that is weird or not.
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    YAY I'm not the only one!!!!! Happy happy thank you for replying everyone it makes me feel a lot better.
    Every single time!!! I like dance classes and every time I have gone to classes at least 3 times in a row, i am down for the count for at least 2 weeks. Not to mention, my joints got worse because i didn't realize i was in a flare at the time (didn't feel bad yet, the next week diagnosed with uveitis). I can only do about 6 minutes on the elliptical and still be continually functional.

I hate feeling like I have to start over all the time. I go into a flare and then have to start back at 3 minutes. But I figure it is the nature of the beast. But I totally understand the frustration! (been dealing with autoimmune issues for 15 years now)

P.S. i also notice i do not lose weight unless on an immune suppressant or prednisone. I don't know if that is weird or not.

I feel your pain. It's infuriating isn't it!!! Well through trial and error over the last few years I have black-listed; running, jogging, any gym. Basically anything that leaves you breathing a bit faster hahahaha what I'm left with is walking and wii (slow pace) and I got a new dvd I'm gonna try do tomorrow. ....we'll see...and swimming which is fine but the prospect of putting on a swimsuit...not so fine hahaha

It's so annoying because attacks happen when I'm only just getting into it, feeling great about exercising them BAM it hits me. I have angioedema (non-allergic) which effects the airway and it's a pain in the.....Last time I over did it I was in hospital for a month so I find myself walking 2 mph when I really want to run 7mph just to somehow strike a balance between exercise and not jepordising my health.

Really I think swimming is probably the safest that I've found. There doesn't seem to be as much backlash with that. Also it's easier on your joints which if they aren't ruined by autoimmune they will be by our friend and foe prednisone. Btw here is your sister that stuff is the devil when you're trying to lose weight or even maintain. That stuff is the reason I'm currently trying to lose 46 lbs

Basically in order not to trigger my experience is we must be like the tortoise in the story of the tortoise and the hare :laugh: except the tortoise moves faster.

But hey even the story the tortoise got there in the end....didn't it.......
  • beliot
    Options
    The tortoise totally got there in the end!! My doctor will not allow me to be on prednisone because of the weight gain properties. Currently I am on plaquenil and methotrexate. I have lupus' long lost twin but don't test positive for lupus (undifferentiated connective tissue disease). I like the elliptical but it burns my legs. I just put up with it. Less work on the joints and hopefully the muscles with get strong enough to help the joints not get worse.

Swimming is probably the best bet; but, i feel the same way about bathing suits! I also do not have total access to a pool.
    You are very much not alone of the infuriating exercise journey, but the tortoise did get there in the end!!!

Have you ever tried modified yoga?
  • Dee678
    Dee678 Posts: 53
    Options
    One of my first symptoms of my autoimmune condition was weight GAIN! In 2009, I was training for the Breast Cancer 3 Day, walking 35 to 40 miles a week (not counting the 15 mile days every other week) . . .
    If I went to the gym and tried to work out like I used to (In my early twenties I was a gym rat and could easily put in 3 hours 5 times a week;I felt great! Weighed 214, 18% body fat and was a size 14) I would be in agony for days.
    I finally stopped going to the gym because of this.

Last January (2011) I was screened for autoimmune issues. This January, I was finally diagnosed with Inflammatory Polyarthritis, secondary osteoarthritis (in nearly every joint in my body) and secondary fibromyalgia. During the time in between I was misdiagnosed with SAPHO SYndrome and started on Sulfasalazine (which was actually a good thing; it slowed my weight gain), I was also diagnosed with localized scleroderma in November . . .

I've been on Sulfasalalazine since May, the dose was increased mid-December. Last month I was started on methotrexate. I have noticed a slight increase in energy.

Hearing that others have been able to take off weight once on immunosuppressants gives me hope!

Thanks!!!
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm a little bit further along in my weightloss journey so I can report back what I've learned :happy:

Anything strenuous or any over exertion does trigger badly. The trick is to very slowly up the ante. I walked everywhere for months and built up my fitness this way and now in the last few weeks Ive been able to kick it up a gear and even start running :noway: I don't know myself, 15 mins running burns the same calories that would take me an hour to burn before. It's crazy!

You must build it up slowly though. I can't stress that enough. In the past I tried running too soon and triggered critical attacks on several occasions. I pushed myself too hard. This time I've gone about it all different. I started by walking 2.5mph 15 mins here or there then 3mph for 30 mins then 3.5mph for an hour and then in the last 8 weeks I've just walked everywhere. If I'm meeting someone I walk there and back or if I have an apt I walk there. Now I'm starting with the C25K and that is manageable for me. I've repeated day 3 a few times :smile: try maintain each level before upping the tempo. I take two days off in between and I'm just like anybody else trying to get fit and lose weight.

My advice, take it really slow and you can do most of the same as anyone else
  • rahmyers
    rahmyers Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've found for me that cardio actually helps control my immune system some while strength training stimulates it to flair. I have to balance the two. I try to begin and end each workout with cardio and sandwich the strength in between, careful to not over do either. Oh yeah and I built up VERY slowly on both.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    beliot wrote: »

Prednisone was a high risk medicine for me. Got hospitalized with Vasculitis in 2011 and put on Prednisone. It "cured" the blood inflammation, but it's been extremely hard to lose weight since. Btw, they told me at hospital to avoid using NSAIDs and Ibuprofen. The only way to lose weight has been a total rehaul of my diet and Intermittent Fasting. Only had one flare up, but it was triggered by extreme heat wave, I think.

To OP, I second the suggestion of yoga cause it's easy to regulate intensity. But you know your body best, trial and error. Good luck :)