My thoughts on the diet industry....and other "diet" ramblin

Options
My thoughts is that the diet industry is here to keep you with low self esteem and to keep you fat. Think of it like this, if most of these products worked, they would lose business once people used their great product and didn't need it anymore. That's why diet programs , after about a year of you leaving- will send you a "come back for free" deal because they KNOW the stats.
I am not speaking of weight watchers (which is a program but I believe it's more support and is helpful, or general exercise and healthy eating plans (notice I said HEALTHY). I am talking about the tons of bad info, the horrible pills out there that if they worked would be in real science mags and NOT in rag mags. lol
They feed off of the desperation of women mostly (though in recent years, men too). They don't sell health, but they sell a "dream." Their dream to you is that if , and only IF, you are strong enough to stick with their diet, you will
1- find a mate
2- have more friends
3- more people will like you
4- be more loved.
They want you to believe that you will ONLY be happy once you reach a certain goal. Until then, it's okay to be miserable. I am here to tell you that it is NOT. Be happy now for that is ALL that we have is the present moment.

I have found that it's not so much your weight as it is your self esteem that matters most in these areas. You're told if you gain weight back, it's YOUR issue, the diet program doesn't take any responsibility whatsoever and then you feel guilty - even though it's a fact that 95 percent of people can't keep weight off. It's because we are given BAD information, too much information. When you lose weight, the diet program takes the credit, when the weight comes back on, they don't. Sure they can't control what you put in your mouth, but if you give someone an unrealistic , insane diet- no one can stick to it.
One year carbs are bad, then they are good, same thing with fat. We are given a huge amount of information but there's only one truth to weight loss and keeping it off. It's learning how to see food as your fuel instead of a drug for when you're anxious, depressed, hurting. The reality is most people don't overeat because they are hungry for food- it's because they are feeding hurt. I don't mean everyone, but most of us know the true deal of weight loss- and what I love about MFP besides it's free, is that you can see all of your calories, proteins, fats, and so on, and exercise calories too, and it keeps you in a healthy range.

You must look for the root of the cause of eating too much. I know my "drug of choice" is food. I often joke that if food were illegal I'd be in jail, or that if you take me to a buffet, it's like taking an alcoholic to an open bar. I joke but the truth is, I have to fight for my life. I was diabetic in 2006, lost over 100lbs and got rid of it totally. Now , 5 years later, I am challenged due to emotional things that have caused me to go off the wagon. I am still not diabetic but I have to figure what is more important to me, my health or overeating when I am stressed.
Eating healthy doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you go off the wagon for a meal- JUMP BACK ON right away, and don't use it as an excuse to beat yourself up, or to go totally off of your healthy eating plan. DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP!
No diet program is going to help me for the long term. People will tell you a certain diet worked for them but what really works is what you are able to KEEP off, not just lose.

The only thing that can help me is being real, knowing that I need to eat healthy, not starve myself. I know I must eat in moderation, exercise. That's why I don't use the word DIET. I never say I am ON a diet- because what I am doing is just living my life and eating healthy. If a fit person eats healthy, they are just eating healthy, whereas if an overweight person eats healthy, people assume they are on some crazy, calorie restricted diet.
What kinds of images are in your mind when you hear the word DIET? I think of hunger, starvation, deprivation....those things are not a way to start a healthy lifestyle.
Don't just get thin or skinny, get FIT, not just physically but EMOTIONALLY. I am 42 years old and have been dealing with this challenge for many years. Your mind and self esteem are so crucial- and do this for YOU. YOU are worth a healthy body and mind! I am going to write a book about this - seriously I am! :)
Ok, off of soap box!

Replies

• merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rice161
    Options
    Stay on the soapbox, girl! Thank you for saying all this. Self-esteem issues have been hitting me hard in the last month even after losing 65 lbs. I feel like 90% of the time, I live life and enjoy it regardless of my size or self-esteem issues. That other 10% though... I hold back, fear failure and rejection, etc... and ALWAYS tie it back to weight. He won't be interested until I lose 30 more lbs, I am embarassed to be the biggest woman in my Zumba class even after losing 65 lbs, etc... are all things I have found myself thinking and IT IS RIDICULOUS! You can't hold yourself back and not live life. You shouldn't be letting a number on a scale or a pair of pants dictate how you feel about yourself...

How to let go of it all? I can only say that stopping the negative talk and prayers are all that's worked so far, but it's a battle I still fight now. I don't think I've realized until recently how much I hold back and really do have a self-esteem issue. Thanks for the reminder... we need to keep this in front of us and keep on moving forward!
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Good thoughts!