What do you do if you have a bad diet day?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How do you react after or during a bad diet day?
    It's usually associated with a good day full of fun with friends or family, so I'm usually content.
    Do you do extra exercise the day after?
    No.
    Do you change your diet the day after in order to compensate?

No.

Just get back on the regular plan.
  • MrsKillough
    MrsKillough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Same as most people have said, I start with a clean sheet the next day and don't take it as an excuse to keep overdoing it.

Friday was bad. Lovely but very high calorie meal out for a friend's birthday, followed by too much to drink because I felt uncomfortable around all her friends I didn't know and didn't have much in common with. I didn't get drunk and make a fool of myself, just drank more calories than I'd planned to by nervously sipping more often than usual.

Yesterday and today I've worked out as usual, done active things about the house, and stayed within my calories. Hopefully by the time I weigh myself on Thursday I'll have compensated for the damage.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just draw a line under it and move on. It took me a long time to get fat, so it's going to take a long time to get slim again and one day isn't going to ruin all the good work I put in the vast majority of the time.

Life is too short to punish myself with cutting back calories or exercising more etc beause of one bad day, so I just say "Ah well, what's one bad day" and climb back on the wagon!
  • XXXSJKXXX
    XXXSJKXXX Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im Having a Bit of motivational issues. for some reason i cant feel motivated to lose weight anymore.

i still need to lose another 4kg minumum and for some reason i cant motivate my self. i have stuck to my diet for over 1 months now. i have put on 2kg in weight and im starting to feel like there is no return. i need some advice on how to keep my self motivated and how to stop my self from eating so much.

i havent even eaten any chocolates or sweets im just eating 3 x per day and for some reason im putting on weight.

not a happy bunny at the moment.

any advice from peeps who have been in the same situation :smile:
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I know it is an old thread, but the questions are still relevant.

First of all, the question is, does having a bad day have an effect on weight loss, particularly if you have been on a good roll for several weeks/months?

Back in June, during my fragile period where I had just hit my momentum, I had to go on a work trip with co-workers. It got messy, massive steaks, beer, lots of good food, taxis all the time, all expensed, very indulgent. We did this for 3 consecutive days.

I remember I used to feel so guilty that when I got back to the hotel I just did mad push ups, ab crunches, anything I could do to get the muscle moving.

When I got back home, for a good 2-3 weeks I lived in the fear of stepping on the scale and finding that I'd gained an extra kilo or two. But you know what? I actually continued to go down, FASTER than before?!

It got me thinking, how can this be? Can 1 or 2 days really break off your cycle? And if not, what is happening with all those extra calories. Is the body just saying, hey thanks, now I am out of starvation mode and my metabolism can go back to normal, so you continue losing? Or is it like, hey this is TOO much but I know you will be back to working out soon, so I won't store them in places you can't get too?

I know that makes no sense, but surely fat storage mechanisms are too complex for it to be affect by a couple of bad days every couple of months?!
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet so I don't have bad diet days...:)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    During - I enjoy it immensely. I'm not a binge eater so a bad diet day means a celebration of some sort.
    After - if hungover - regret, vow not to do it again for a while
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If I'm hungover, no.
    No. Just back to my usual diet.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's done and can't be changed. Just continue on your journey.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I DON'T
    I AM PERFECT
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If I've had a bad diet day, I get up the next day and move on with my life. I work hard to do a better job, but I don't stress over it. Until someone invents a time machine that allows me to go back in time and not eat that extra whatever it was, there's no point in getting upset over it. It's done... just work to do better going forward.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

First time was after a visit to my aunt in July. I ate takeaway and necked a few bacardis. I consumed about 1600 cals when I was supposed to be on 1200. I felt fine! I realised life happens, it was the first time I'd seen her in months and had a great time. That day, I decided to be extra good for the next few days. Stay within cals but no sweeties.

The second time was a 3 course roast pork dinner at my sisters 3 weeks ago. Still on 1200 then, but went up to 2000 that day. The day was so brilliant and the meal so delicious, I decided not to beat myself up over it. I never gained and never changed my diet after wards and lost MORE that week. Thats when I realised I should up my calories as it will benefit me.

No. I stay within my calories as always. I find just eating at a defecit is absolutely fine with me and my body. My work is very hard going, and I am losing faster than expected purely from eating under 1400 ( It was 1200 for 55 days )

I used to, but not any more. I realise my body reacts just fine to the treats that I add in daily. The first time I went over I did, but the second time I didn't " behave well " with my intake and I was still doing fine. 2lbs a week steadily back then.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet so I don't have bad diet days...:)

I'm sorry to be so random and hijack the thread - but you are gorgeous.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way...if someone generally ate like crap most of the time...but occasionally had a "good" diet day and ate all their veggies and hit all of the macros and calorie goals...and maybe even got a run in...does that suddendly make them healthy and fit? Of course not..and the reverse applies. It's not about a particular day, good or bad...it's about how you're livin' most of the time over an extended period of time...like months and years, not a few days or weeks.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I embrace and enjoy it!

I've built them into my plan, now.

Stole the idea from a 'success story' lady. She had 2 'free' days per month. She ate 4,000 - 5,000 calories, and logs everything.

I'm just 10 days away from my next vanilla slice fest. :-)
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Get upset for a few seconds, and then move on. These days, I don't even try to make up the deficit the next day. Knowing that I have to make up for the deficit just brings on more guilt and makes me want to quit.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't diet, so I don't know if I can answer this.

When I go over my calorie requirements, though, I just make small adjustments for the next few days to compensate.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Freak out and obsess like half the people on here?

Just kidding. Move on. It won't kill you.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

1. During: OM NOM NOM. After: That was delicious.
    2. Nope, just go back to my normal plan.
    3. See #2.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't diet, so I don't know if I can answer this.

When I go over my calorie requirements, though, I just make small adjustments for the next few days to compensate.

Calorie requirements = diet.
  • saistarxo
    saistarxo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just had a bad diet day, thanks for the advice!