Running - Day 1

Options
I am very very out of shape, and today I went running...i ran a block and half then walked a block...ran a block...and walked the block and half home...not very long I know (it's raining and cold). I used to be a smoker and have not smoked in a while. Anyways my question is what are the normal aches and pains after having ran and not being used to it.
:D

Replies

• Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Its a very good start...usually your legs and back would hurt for 2-3 days then your calf pain would be there for few days..but please do stretch your hamstrings and calf after every run...all the best..
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    First of all....CONGRATS on your first run no matter how long it was! It is a start.....and you will have aches and pains for a while until your body adjust to this new venture!, (from your feet up to your shoulders probably) Invest in some good running shoes, if you havent already, they will help minimize your pain. Just dont give up and quit because it hurts, run through it! It will get better, I promise! Have you tried C25K program? It really works, and doesnt over worked your body!
    Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    One thing you will want to do is stretch really well after running. If you don't, you could end up with an injury. You can look at the Couch to 5K program. It really works! Good luck. I am a former smoker who quit almost 5 years ago now and I am in the best cardio shape I have been in since I was a teen.
  • tmarrie
    Options
    Its a very good start...usually your legs and back would hurt for 2-3 days then your calf pain would be there for few days..but please do stretch your hamstrings and calf after every run...all the best..

Thanks for the advice. Making sure that all the aches and pains are normal...lol...and i remember to stretch before and after...thanks again
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Well "normal" is different to everyone. If you didn't stretch out really well I am sure you will feel soreness and maybe the tightening of your quads, hamstrings, calves. I am sure your lungs felt like they were on fire. The important thing to do, is what you are doing. Start running in intervals. There is a great program called Couch25K that is designed for people who have not run.

Make sure that you have proper running shoes- find a running store, one that will check your gait and recommend the right show for you, and also make sure your stretch before and after your runs to help prevent injuries. Cross training is also good, on days were you don;t run, doing weights to help build up your leg muscles will help. I also like to do the elliptical inbetween my running days to give my knees a rest.

Importantly, just listen to your body! If things are really sore and hurting, then take a day off to rest your muscles. You won't be able to accomplish your goals if you push to hard and injure yourself.

Good luck!
  • kntollison
    kntollison Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say any aches are normal at this point. If you start feeling any sharp pains anywhere, then I'd take a rest. Within a few weeks most of the aches should diminish, but they are definitely normal when just starting! Running works your whole body believe it or not! Good luck!! I'm actually planning on running my first mini-marathon this coming May, and I started off just a few weeks ago where you are now! :D
  • tmarrie
    Options
    First of all....CONGRATS on your first run no matter how long it was! It is a start.....and you will have aches and pains for a while until your body adjust to this new venture!, (from your feet up to your shoulders probably) Invest in some good running shoes, if you havent already, they will help minimize your pain. Just dont give up and quit because it hurts, run through it! It will get better, I promise! Have you tried C25K program? It really works, and doesnt over worked your body!

Thanks so much for the support and advice. It means a lot. Also what is the C25K program?
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your run! I'm proud of you! You might be achy, but it's nothing terrible. Just make sure that you stretch well after each run!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I was like you years ago.... then I worked up to running a 5K - also I had smoked almost my whole adult life so that
    does not help, glad you quit!

At 1st I had shin splints... sore legs... I'd try to run firther each time until I finally was able to run 5k consitently - and then I did
    a 5k road race. You'll get there! Have fun!
  • tmarrie
    Options
    I would definitely say any aches are normal at this point. If you start feeling any sharp pains anywhere, then I'd take a rest. Within a few weeks most of the aches should diminish, but they are definitely normal when just starting! Running works your whole body believe it or not! Good luck!! I'm actually planning on running my first mini-marathon this coming May, and I started off just a few weeks ago where you are now! :D

WOW! Congrats. That is excellent news. I can only hope to be there some day. Good Luck
  • tmarrie
    Options
    I was like you years ago.... then I worked up to running a 5K - also I had smoked almost my whole adult life so that
    does not help, glad you quit!

At 1st I had shin splints... sore legs... I'd try to run firther each time until I finally was able to run 5k consitently - and then I did
    a 5k road race. You'll get there! Have fun!

Thank you. And congrats on your 5K.
  • tmarrie
    Options
    Congratulations on your run! I'm proud of you! You might be achy, but it's nothing terrible. Just make sure that you stretch well after each run!

Thank you, very much.
  • tmarrie
    Options
    Well "normal" is different to everyone. If you didn't stretch out really well I am sure you will feel soreness and maybe the tightening of your quads, hamstrings, calves. I am sure your lungs felt like they were on fire. The important thing to do, is what you are doing. Start running in intervals. There is a great program called Couch25K that is designed for people who have not run.

Make sure that you have proper running shoes- find a running store, one that will check your gait and recommend the right show for you, and also make sure your stretch before and after your runs to help prevent injuries. Cross training is also good, on days were you don;t run, doing weights to help build up your leg muscles will help. I also like to do the elliptical inbetween my running days to give my knees a rest.

Importantly, just listen to your body! If things are really sore and hurting, then take a day off to rest your muscles. You won't be able to accomplish your goals if you push to hard and injure yourself.

Good luck!

Thanks, I didn't even think about having to do strength training for my legs in between runs. I am so oblivious to anything working out. Guess that's how I got to this point in the first place.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    There's a good chance you could end up with shin splints. A common pain felt in the shins that comes from muscle fibers tearing away from the shin bone.
    It's fairly common so if you feel it don't get too worried. You can do a search for ways to help it if you encounter them.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the support and advice. It means a lot. Also what is the C25K program?

Couch to 5K....it is a program that will start you out slowly to where over time you can run a 5k race. There are alot of 5K apps on smart phones or you can print one out like by Hal Higdon online.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    C25K is AMAZING! It makes running completely doable. I'm on week 4 right now, and I get so excited for my morning runs. :)