Limited means

Options
Hi All,

I have very limited means, i am not part of a gym too expensive for me right now! But i do have some what of a home gym, i have a pair of dumb bells and the big ball and ankle weights and a stationary bike! I have a routine that i follow then life took a turn for me several times and went off track several times. Now i am back on track for good i really wanna loose this extra weight i put on from all the stress in my life!

I am just wondering if what i do is enough...I walk ALOT at lunch time walk here and there. at least 1hr a day

This is what i do after supper

-10 Min stationary Bike

all of them are 4 sets each
-shoulders 8lbs 15 reps
-chest 8lbs 15 reps
-back no weight 20 reps
-Biceps 8 lbs 12-15 reps
-tricep 8lbs 12-15 reps

the next day is the following 4 sets
-10 Min stationary Bike
-Crunches 12-15 reps
-reverse crunches 12-15 reps with ankle weights 2lbs
-leg raises with ankle weight 2 lbs 20-25 reps
-then i use the ball for some exercises with my egs like reverse leg curls 12-15 reps
-use the ball against the wall and go down for my legs. 15 reps
-Cal raises with ankle weight 2lbs 10-15 reps

Skip a day but on the skipped day 20 min stationary bike then continue the next 2 days with what i just said up there!!! As well i eat as well as i possibly can....

Should this work if i keep at it? And continue to eat properly

I wanna loose 5 pounds by New years...

Replies

• breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm not an expert but I think you probably need to add in some more cardio if you really want to impact the pounds...but it is definetly a good start. Building muscle and toning is super important too so it's great that you are putting in both. I don't have a home gym either so I treadmill and use videos to get my strength in.
  • lynzyn
    lynzyn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For now that it is really nice outside i walk alot then when winter comes i plan on using the bike more often
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I lost 36 pounds in three months and looked great without a gym membership OR a home gym. It's a luxury, but not a necessity.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Certainly better than nothing
  • lynzyn
    Options
    I just feel that when i was on track about a month ago i felt great but didn't really see any results...Maybe i should go at it harder!
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There are some amazing videos out there and you can check them out via the library. I would also change it up to keep your body from adjusting to it. If you are doing a stationary bike you should do your own type of spin class, you can google spin classes to see what they do. It will definitely get you toned fast.
    Just remember, abs every day and cardio as much as you can.
  • lynzyn
    Options
    i remember when i used to go to the gym that it wasn't good to do the same muscle group 2 days in a row so i make sure i give it a day before i do it again, i do upper body one day then do lower body the next....
  • Luchesse
    Options
    Losing weight is a simple calculation. Calories burned must be more than calories consumed daily. For every 3500 excess calories burned you will lose 1 pound.

Using my fitness pal you can calculate your toning by using strength training. Even when it's cold you can go out and walk by saying "I can't walk because it's cold" your giving yourself an excuse not to do it. Layer up and off you go remove layers as you walk or jog if you get too hot.

I am at the beginning of my journey but I have been researching a lot on this stuff. You don't need a gym, a special food, or a special pill to help lose weight. Get motivated, move however, wherever you can, and reduce your calories.

This is a change of lifestyle not a "diet".
  • rml_16
    Options
    I just feel that when i was on track about a month ago i felt great but didn't really see any results...Maybe i should go at it harder!

How's your eating? You need both to see results. Well, some people see results without exercise, but it's still better to do it! lol
  • lynzyn
    Options
    trust me winters here u wouldn't want to go outside on milder days ok but colder ones not so much ( i will be walking alot cause the traffic is unbearable here i take public transit and that doesn't help much either when it snows) So long johns and boots are on the list to walk home if necessary!...

That is my plan but when it is -40 not so much!!!!! Cause that will cause freezing of the skin if exposed for more than a couple mins...
  • lynzyn
    Options

How's your eating? You need both to see results. Well, some people see results without exercise, but it's still better to do it! lol

I mean it isn't bad but isn't great either i have alot of work to do, i don't eat junk food nor greasy foods....I think i eat too much even tho it is good for me i have to be careful of the portions which i am starting to do! I am doing alot of measuring now!
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    check out your public library, mine lends workout dvd's...keeps you going without spending $ :)
  • rml_16
    Options

I mean it isn't bad but isn't great either i have alot of work to do, i don't eat junk food nor greasy foods....I think i eat too much even tho it is good for me i have to be careful of the portions which i am starting to do! I am doing alot of measuring now!

It isn't difficult to overeat, even on healthy foods. My mother is nearly 300 pounds and she doesn't eat junk, either. Counting calories is essential. Good luck!
  • lynzyn
    Options
    Thanks i think i will start measuring and being more careful!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

It isn't difficult to overeat, even on healthy foods. My mother is nearly 300 pounds and she doesn't eat junk, either. Counting calories is essential. Good luck!

Agreed - you can work out all you want, but if you're still overeating by more than you're working off, then you're not going to lose weight. Someone on here had a signature that said you can't out-train your diet. I remember once hearing on The Biggest Loser that you can work out all you want, but if your diet isn't in line, you're not going to have much success.

In other words, eating is as important as, if not more important than, exercising when it comes to losing weight.

That said, you could probably lose five pounds by New Year's just by getting your calorie intake in line. You'll do better for sure if you keep exercising, and every bit of exercise you get is good!
  • lynzyn
    Options
    i understand i can't over eat even on the good foods NOTED i will be sure to measure everything i eat now!!

Thanks everyone i appreciate the help :)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a simple calculation. Calories burned must be more than calories consumed daily. For every 3500 excess calories burned you will lose 1 pound.

Using my fitness pal you can calculate your toning by using strength training. Even when it's cold you can go out and walk by saying "I can't walk because it's cold" your giving yourself an excuse not to do it. Layer up and off you go remove layers as you walk or jog if you get too hot.

I am at the beginning of my journey but I have been researching a lot on this stuff. You don't need a gym, a special food, or a special pill to help lose weight. Get motivated, move however, wherever you can, and reduce your calories.

so, you're saying that you have to burn 3500 calories more than you consume in a day? I'm pretty sure you're going to die if you keep that up for too long.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Logging your calories is more important than exercise for weight loss. You can be a very fit fat person if you eat more than you burn! That said, your routine is fine.
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    Use that bike!! Increase your cardio and you'll continue to see the pounds come off. You can also change up your routine so your body works muscles differently. Good luck.
  • rml_16
    Options

so, you're saying that you have to burn 3500 calories more than you consume in a day? I'm pretty sure you're going to die if you keep that up for too long.

If you want to lose a pound a day, yes. But I don't think that's what was meant.