First 5K

Options
So I have decided that I want to sign up for my first 5K! I had never been a runner, but since August I have grown to really love it. I am pretty nervous to sign up, as I am terrified of coming in last place and running alone. Right now I am averaging about 2.5 miles in 35 minutes but would like to do better. Would love to hear some stories from anyone with a similar experience, your first 5K, how long you trained to get ready for it, and what your time was like. As always, thank you for any feedback and support!!

Replies

• Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My first race I was super ambitious and did a 9k (5.6 miles) I started training in January for the race in May (I hadn't been running, so I wanted to give myself a lot of time) I got my mile time up to 10-11 min mile on average. I too was terrified of coming in last, but the day of the race I finished faster than in any of my practice runs (offical finish time was 1:01).

What is most important though more than time, is being able to finish. Not everyone is a super fast 7 min mile runner, and that is okay. As long as you do what you feel is your best, and finish the race, that is a HUGE accomplishment!

If you want to get your mile time up, mix in speed interval training with your runs.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 2.5 miles, getting to 3.1 won't be a problem for you.
    As for when or where you finish, don't worry about that...the fact that you finish is a huge accomplishment! I've run a handful of races and will be running my first 10K this weekend and I always remind myself that finishing last is better than not finishing, not finishing is also better than not starting! Even the "zombie bait" is faster than somebody sitting on their couch!
    My training consisted of C25K, and I had about a month between finishing that program and running my first race. And your time isn't bad for a first race either.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I ran my very first 5K (it was a fun run) after about two weeks of running. Even though I walked parts of it, I loved it and finished in about 40 minutes. Now, I run them all the time and currently building up to a 10K, and then on to a half marathon. Practice makes perfect. Don't worry about speed just yet -- build up your endurance.

Believe me, you won't come in last place and even if you do... who cares =) The fact that you decided to run it is awesome!
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K on October 18th. I "trained" for @ 2 weeks (it was a last-minute decision). My goal was to finish in 30 minutes and try not to walk. I completed the race in 30 minutes (and a few seconds), and only walked @ 2 minutes of the race. It was a great experience! My next race is the 5-mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I plan on run/walking it (with as little walking as I can stand) and completing in 60 minutes or less.
  • Strider56
    Strider56 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Check to see if you have a local running group that helps beginners. Or a good tool for a lot of people is Couch to 5k. It is a free resource and many many people have used it.

I personally think that you can gradually increase your run times (or speed) each run so that you are going farther or faster. Mix it up with fast walking and you won't feel like it is an all or nothing experience.

As for coming in last - the way around that is picking a race with a whole lot of people. In our area we have a Turkey trot on thanksgiving and it is attended by thousands of people (and I am in Tallahassee, FL - not a huge place). Unless you are coming in around 50 minutes you won't be the last. Plus our race is 5k, 10k and 15k, which guarantees that there are people still coming in after you finish your 5k. In any event, even if you do come in last, it is an accomplishment versus where you were in the past.

Do a few mock 5ks to get you into game mode. I watched the NYC marathon this weekend and tell myself that I am running like the Kenyans and I'm not lying to you that I ran significantly faster than my normal pace and without being out of breath. Running is at least as much a head game as it is a physical game.

Good luck!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in December, finished in February, and ran my first races in March. My very first race was a 4.5 miler, and even though I had to walk some of it and finished near the end of the pack (it was the first of a "Triple Crown" and had mostly serious runners, not newbs like me), I was thrilled that I averaged 5.8 mph, because I always ran at 5.5 on the treadmill. A week later was my first 5k and my only goal was to not walk any, but hoped to finish in under 30 minutes. 29:42 was my time.

(Since then, I've kept up with the running, and by the third race of that "Triple Crown" last month, I ran a 10k at 7mph and got a medal for 2nd in my age group! I've also shaved over 4 minutes off my 5k time and finished one recently in 24:57.)

Don't worry about your speed. Just do the distance, and have fun with it. :smile:
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started running in March and I signed up for my first 5k in May. Before I went, I was also terrified that I would be the slowest one out there. Trust me, you will not be! It was amazing, the atmosphere is incredible and I had so much fun. I came home and signed up for another one, and then another one! Next year my goal is to do some 10k's. My advice is to go for it and have fun with it! And no matter what your time is at the end, feel proud that you finished!

The first 5k I did, I was in the middle of the pack. The second one, I finished 3rd in my age and 33rd overall!
  • jhnye85
    jhnye85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for sharing your stories and support!! I just got back from the gym and experimented, ran 3.1 miles in 40 minutes alternating between 4 and 5 mph. It felt great!! And happy to say I just signed up for my first 5k on December 4th! Thanks again and couldn't have done it with out the support!!!!