Green Stuff

Options
Lately i've stopped my fat *kitten* from eating hot pockets and other garbage for lunch and to be honest i'm loving this whole salad thing.

but like all things, it's getting boring since I have the same kind of salad every day.

- Spinach Leaves
- Diced Tomato
- 1 Oz Ham (diced)
- 1/8 Cup Shredded Cheese
- Chipotle Tabasco for the dressing because ranch and all other dressings to me are either nasty or loaded with **** I dont wanna eat lol

What do you put on salad what will keep my calories low but burst with flavor. :)

Replies

• jaxdiablo
    Options
    Stop trolling bro, you know salads aren't healthy...

Ok, seriously though...

Sauteed Mushrooms (1 tablespoon of olive oil/good fat, little bit of garlic in the pan)
    LOW FAT cheese (if I use cheese at all)
    Bacon (Turkey kind usually)
    There is a sugar free raspberry vinaigrett that I use
    Chicken Breasts
    Any good protein (turkey, pork)
    Chopped hard boiled eggs
    wasabi peas
    almonds

Hopefully those give you some ideas.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I often use spinach and throw a hot or a cold vegetable on it, like spaghetti squash, cooked carrots or portabella mushroomsfor example. Add to that 2 Tbs of goat cheese or hommus and it is delicious (and filling) It's nice to have wilted spinach and something warmer as winter approaches too. I also put ground pepper on it to spice it up a little.
  • chevysarah
    Options
    I like flavoured tunas! I have found a spicy tuna - they come in little tins - they are full of protein and low in calories - awesome on a salad. I usually throw some pumpkin seeds on as well.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I use salsa as a dressing. Throw in some grilled chicken, black beans, diced red bell peppers, and some banana peppers and you have yourself a yummy pseudo-taco salad!
  • Puggy33
    Puggy33 Posts: 300
    Options
    I use salsa as a dressing. Throw in some grilled chicken, black beans, diced red bell peppers, and some banana peppers and you have yourself a yummy pseudo-taco salad!

This one is a winner, i'm def trying it.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I always have cucumber, onion and radishes in my salad.

I like to put a bit of cottage cheese on top of my salad, too. Tasty as a dressing.

Some nuts can add flavor and crunch.
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    You can really put anything on a salad you want!!!

Sprouts
    Madarin Oranges (drain the syrup!)
    Strawberries
    Chopped onion (adds lots of flavor)
    Carrots
    Bell Peppers
    Apples

If you dream it, you can put it on a salad!!!!
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love to add all kinds of difrent things depending on my mood... frozen peas, sunflower seeds, crushed red pepper, boiled egg whites, apples, rasins, pecans, tortilla strips, a few olives (rinsed), jalepenos diced. I love salads bc you can add anything you want!!!! :tongue:
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Try pickled jalapenos, a bit of cheddar cheese, some blackened chicken, avocado, and some dried cranberries. Totally doesn't need dressing. Mmmmm.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    You can use lemon juice on everything to give it taste (if you like the taste of lemon), I add it to my salads. The amount of calories in lemon juice is negligible and it goes well with fish (tuna, salmon).
  • Puggy33
    Options
    Try pickled jalapenos, a bit of cheddar cheese, some blackened chicken, avocado, and some dried cranberries. Totally doesn't need dressing. Mmmmm.

Good call. blackened chicken is one of my favorites
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you have a trader joe's near you , they have the best salad dressings in the refridgerated section! I am very picky about my dressings..don't really like ranch, hate italian/vinigarettes...but I love TJ's Cran.walnut gorgonzola, and Cilantro dressing! They have little chunks of cheese :)
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I CONCUR :) With the SALSA POST .. Black beans YUMMIE
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i suggest u look here:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Salads
    it;s full of great salads of every kind
    hope u like it :smile:
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I like a crunch in my salad, so I usually throw in some baby carrots. Kraft makes a Greek dressing with olive oil that is tasty, and only around 60 cal. for a serving.

Another thing I toss on my salad for a bit of crunch is 1/4 cup of chow mein noodles. They're tasty, not loaded with fat or salt, and give a little extra texture to my usual salad + chicken lunch.
  • Puggy33
    Options
    I like a crunch in my salad, so I usually throw in some baby carrots. Kraft makes a Greek dressing with olive oil that is tasty, and only around 60 cal. for a serving.

Another thing I toss on my salad for a bit of crunch is 1/4 cup of chow mein noodles. They're tasty, not loaded with fat or salt, and give a little extra texture to my usual salad + chicken lunch.

Chow mein noodles...Yea...i'll be doing that here soon too lol
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Some tasty options my husband and I like are:

Red/yellow/orange bell peppers
    Peppadeux peppers-these are sweet and spicy and add a lot of flavor to a salad
    olives-black/green/kalamata
    goat cheese-my preferred is Montchevre - Crumbled Goat Cheese Onion & Basil only 35 calories for 14 grams
    feta cheese
    sun dried tomatoes (not in oil)

Good luck!
  • startingover42
    Options
    Lemon and lime juice works great for a dressing.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I love whole foods salad bar....

I usually alternate between red lettuce, spinach, kale, and muslin mix or combine
    adds vary: hard boiled egg, peppers, broccoli, grilled chicken, tomato, feta, avocado, olives, raisins, tuna....

Their low fat fig tahini dressing is delicious, even makes raw broccoli edible!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    i suggest u look here:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Salads
    it;s full of great salads of every kind
    hope u like it :smile:

Thanks for the link. I will bookmark it.