150 lbs to lose and frustrated

Options

Replies

• Bmoney11239
    Bmoney11239 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am frustrated. I've been dieting for close to two months and have lost 16lbs. Of course, I am happy to see 16lbs gone but wish it were more. Even more though, I wish you could tell a difference. I am sitting right around 300lbs and you can't tell I've lost a bit of weight. Does it seem that way to others who have a large amount to lose? I am having a hard time staying motivated without seeing results. Help!

Yes i have 200 lbs to lose, i am currently 402lbs i lost only two lbs today, thing is that you are not going to see results till you see them. so you have to really look at yourself an imagine what you will look like in two more months. ADD me i will be your loss buddy. and we will keep each other on track :)
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Been there, felt that!

started off at 303lbs, I'm 5ft 9inches tall and I should be around 150lbs.

I finally got to the point in my life where I realised that time was marching on with or without me. If I wanted to do anything with that time I needed to sort myself out and get healthy.

Set yourself small goals, 5 - 7lbs at a time in a month. That'll set you off at a good rate of weight loss and anything over and over that is a bonus.

I've been at this a year and 5 months. I would have gotten here anyway, but right now I'm 117lbs lighter than I was.

Make the choice and be proud of it!
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    We always want results fast but patience will reap good rewards. I have to keep postive saying good things to myself all the time. Don't give up we are all here to encourage you anytime of the day. :bigsmile:
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It's all about baby steps. One day at a time, one meal at a time, one step at a time. Just stay focused and on the path. Come here for encouragement and to give encouragement. You can do this.

So perfectly said...Dead on!!! Slow and steady...your not dieting... your changing your lifesyle!!! Be proud of that. If your always hungry then there is something wrong... Are you eating the right amount of calories? if your eatting less to get more progress? If so - then your not helping yourself. Food is fuel....pick the right foods and eat your alloted calories for the day. YOU CAN DO IT!!! go with the flow - make good choices and know that before you know it - you won't want cake or whatever your trigger foods are. Go, Go, Go!!

FYI...Started at 414lbs.....I am 8lbs shy of getting under 300....I don't care how long it takes - I will get there...

So will you!!!
  • celewis2011
    celewis2011 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you , I have 130 more pounds to loss my goal weight is 185 as of right now , we will see if that changes when I get there , I started this journey 6 weeks ago at 343 lbs , I am currently 323 , 20 pounds is a good amount of weight but I also do not see a difference yet. Slow and steady wins the race, I want this off for good , I am willing to change the way I look at food and am having fun exercising. I feel better about myself and that feels good. I will get there and so will you !!! Since we have around the same amount to loss , do you want to do this together?
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I heard an analogy the other week that losing weight is like taking toilet paper off a toilet roll. You can take a lot of sheets off at first and you won't notice it shrinking, but as you get close to the end, every sheet makes a big difference. It's the same with weight loss. It can be frustrating to lose weight and not see a visible difference, but you'll get there. It's a marathon not a sprint. It's not going to happen overnight. But 16lb in 2 months is fantastic. Keep it up and before long you'll be noticing a big difference.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's all about baby steps. One day at a time, one meal at a time, one step at a time. Just stay focused and on the path. Come here for encouragement and to give encouragement. You can do this.

So perfectly said...Dead on!!! Slow and steady...your not dieting... your changing your lifesyle!!! Be proud of that. If your always hungry then there is something wrong... Are you eating the right amount of calories? if your eatting less to get more progress? If so - then your not helping yourself. Food is fuel....pick the right foods and eat your alloted calories for the day. YOU CAN DO IT!!! go with the flow - make good choices and know that before you know it - you won't want cake or whatever your trigger foods are. Go, Go, Go!!

FYI...Started at 414lbs.....I am 8lbs shy of getting under 300....I don't care how long it takes - I will get there...

So will you!!!

YES YOU WILL!!!!!! :D
  • Miriamreal
    Miriamreal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Omg!!! I am excited =D I Lost 2 pounds since yesterday, I know its been ups and downs for me since last week but, I measured my self this morning and I lost 6", So I think that is a sing that, even though I don't loose pounds I still seen results. I am diabetic and even my sugar levels went down 20 points. Yayyyy. I know I need to work harder, but I promise to do my best.

Please feel free to add me, We might be able to help eachother.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Dear when I lost 30lbs I wasn't seeing a difference. Take measurements and simply keep striving. Now that I'm down 35 I'm "seeing" a little more difference. Like jeans sliding down and back fat shrinking. It takes awhile dear. Keep going. Feel free to friend. 16lbs in two months is awesome :) you are doing great!!!!
    Kimmy
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I had to lose almost 50lbs before anyone noticed I had lost any weight. It sucks, but I think when we start out a bit bigger its not as noticable at first.

The paper towel (toilet paper) analogy is a good one. 10lbs (or 10 sheets) off a full paper towel roll and you can't even tell....but take even just one sheet off when the roll is almost empty and its obviously smaller right away.

Just keep at it. Its easy to get frustrated that it doesn't come off quick (I know I was/am). But you have to just keep going. I've been at this over a year and barely past 50lbs lost....when I first started I was hoping to be at -100 lbs by now...but the reality is, there is always going to be holidays, birthdays, parties...and well just me slipping up and eating a pizza all by myself.... but I still feel way better than I did 50lbs ago, and even though I wish I was losing faster, this is probably for the best anyways.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I am totally, completely, right there with ya. Are you tall, too? 'Cause I am 5'10, and I was up over 300 to start with and have now lost over 40 lb. Although I can tell a difference in the way my clothes fit, I don't see it when I look in the mirror. People are just now starting to ask, kind of tentatively, "Are you losing weight?" so I guess it's starting to be noticeable. But I think because I'm tall & was so big to start with, even an accomplishment like losing 40lb is just a drop in the bucket. Sigh.

As far as how much you've lost, I think 16lb in 2 months is great! I'm averaging 1 or 1.5 lb per week, slow but steady; took me 10 weeks to lose 16 lb. (Yes, I have a chart, so I know exactly when I hit each milestone! :smile: ) After all, if you lose too quickly, you run the risk of losing muscle as well as fat, and you also run the risk of slowing down your metabolism. Slow & steady loss will end up being more healthy & sustainable in the long run. It's hard to be patient, though, I know!

I agree with the poster who suggested taking it in baby steps. I'm also trying to lose 150 total, but I have it split up into new goals each month. I'd recommend that strategy for you, too. As long as I hit my mini-goals, I feel like I've accomplished something, even if I don't seem that much closer to 150. It does add up eventually! Hang in there!

Good luck to you!
  • cobarlo14
    Options

So will you!!!

YES YOU WILL!!!!!! :D

check out Kimcat73 - we've been doing this about the same time > She has rocked it!!!!
    You can too - Let all of us help. You are going to know what you can or can't do. Start out with small walks and gradually pick'em up.... your body is going to crave more. Go get it!!!
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    Dear when I lost 30lbs I wasn't seeing a difference. Take measurements and simply keep striving. Now that I'm down 35 I'm "seeing" a little more difference. Like jeans sliding down and back fat shrinking. It takes awhile dear. Keep going. Feel free to friend. 16lbs in two months is awesome :) you are doing great!!!!
    Kimmy

Great point - you could be losing inches too.....
    We didn't put the weight on overnight - it won't come off overnight either.....
    pace yourself - your about to take the ride of your life!:flowerforyou:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Anyone with a lot to lose can relate to how you feel. I know I do. Keep at it though. The upcoming days, weeks and months are going to come and go regardless, and you can either be in a better place at the end of them, or you can give up and be in the same place you are now (or worse.) When I think of it that way, it's easier to keep going and not feel so overwhelmed by what is admittedly a daunting task.

I was where you are (16 pounds down) just a few months ago. My clothes weren't really fitting great - because they had been tight to start with. I was tired all the time. No-one had noticed that I had lost any weight and the changes to my lifestyle were an imposition some days. But I stuck with it - mostly because I was really scared about my health, but also because I wanted to feel good. Physically, mentally, spiritually - it is all tied together.

I am coming up on five months now, and the changes in my body are really taking hold. It is finally showing enought that I get a lot of comments from people who've noticed. I'm down a few sizes. I have a little (not a lot, but a little) more energy. I have fewer headaches and the ones I have are less severe. Many, many other wonderful changes have occured over the past few months. Don't give up. You really are just around the corner from starting to experience the benefits from your effort. The pounds come off one at a time, and I recommend that you celebrate EVERY success - from each pound, to every slight improvement you notice. Celebrate the days when you ate well. Celebrate the days you exercised. Celebrate when you turn down a treat because you know it will put you over on calories. Celebrate when you climb to the top of the stairs and aren't breathing heavy. Celebrate it all!

Read the success stories for inspiration. You CAN do this.
  • rice161
    Options
    It is such a cliche, but you didn't put it all on that quick, so take your time to get it off. It's much more likely to become a habit! You'll learn to try new foods and exercise that you didn't think you would in the past so rushing through this process will only slow your learning.

You can do this...just stay connected and get support. I also took an up close picture every 10 lbs to see the difference. It does become more noticeable the longer you go! Set smaller goals for yourself. Rewards are great motivation too... find what works for you!

I was at one time 310 lbs. I honestly still had people coming up after losing SEVENTY lbs asking if I was losing weight (Men are so observant and afraid they might offend you, haha). Today I weigh 217...I still need to lose 72 lbs just to be a normal BMI. Sounds daunting! Yet my next goal is only 17.5 lbs away, much more manageable. You're not alone in this...add friends if you want them!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Hang in there...it will come. You might want to try setting some mini-goals and reward yourself when you reach each one (not with food, though! Maybe a mani/pedi, massage, whatever will motivate you other than food!). There's a saying: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Eating an elephant would be a daunting task, but one bite at a time is doable. Same with weight loss: How do you lose 150 lbs.? One pound at a time. Mini-goals will help you have smaller "bites" to contend with. Maybe set a goal that you will get a manicure after your first 25 lbs. Then a mani/pedi after the next 25, a massage after the next 25, etc. My final goal is 75 pounds, and when I reach it, my reward will be a new wardrobe. But I have mini-goals of 25 pounds at a time. I'll do something to reward myself after each 25.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 330 lbs to 205 lbs. It can be frustrating at first but you just have to realize that it took you years to put on the weight and it's going to take you years to take it off.

You have to be it for the long run and don't expect immediate results.
  • Tammylyn117
    Options
    They say, slow and steady wins the race. I have been and am still in your same boat. It seems like it takes a lot more loss for it to actually show. One thing that seems to work for me is to set small attainable goals and work towards that, and try not to focus on the big picture. I usually try to reward myself when I acheive these goals with things like a pedicure, the new purse I've been eyeing, a new top in a smaller size, etc. It is still hard, but it helps it become a bit more manageable. Good luck with your journey. 16 pounds is still quite amazing, and it's 16 pounds lost not gained, so be proud!
  • Tammylyn117
    Options
    I heard an analogy the other week that losing weight is like taking toilet paper off a toilet roll. You can take a lot of sheets off at first and you won't notice it shrinking, but as you get close to the end, every sheet makes a big difference. It's the same with weight loss. It can be frustrating to lose weight and not see a visible difference, but you'll get there. It's a marathon not a sprint. It's not going to happen overnight. But 16lb in 2 months is fantastic. Keep it up and before long you'll be noticing a big difference.

I like that analogy! :tongue:
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am frustrated. I've been dieting for close to two months and have lost 16lbs. Of course, I am happy to see 16lbs gone but wish it were more. Even more though, I wish you could tell a difference. I am sitting right around 300lbs and you can't tell I've lost a bit of weight. Does it seem that way to others who have a large amount to lose? I am having a hard time staying motivated without seeing results. Help!

It's normal. You'll continue to look and feel like the same person for a very long time. That's why its important to keep tabs on your weight, measurements, and progress pictures. It's to provide perspective.