Muscle Gains on Caloric Deficit

Now before you rip me to shreds, I just wanted to ask this to figure it out a bit better.

Is it really impossible to gain muscle while losing weight?

Reason I ask: If I'm doing nothing and then start a diet and exercise program, I could be getting stronger. Does this means I'm gainning muscle? Also, why am I not losing weight, but losing inches? I would think fat is being loss, water and other things may be retained, but my muscles sure look healthier and like they are bigger.

Just a question to try to clear some things up. I keep seeing this asked many times over.

Replies

• tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    I have the same question, I'm doing personal training 3 days a week and I see and feel solid muscle definition, but I've only lost 9 pounds in 5 months. I'm curious to hear what others think.
  • not possible if your natural
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you are new to lifting you may see beginner gains, or if you have a lot of BF you may gain a little muscle at first, but if you are in a deficit long enough you will start losing some muscle along with the fat. Also possible if you have higher than normal levels of testosterone, but this is not very common without performance enhancing drugs ('roids, HGH, etc)

You can get stronger without gaining muscle, all you are doing is conditioning the muscle you do have.
  • not possible if your natural

I disagree. There are cicumstances where this can occur. I am hypothyroid so I can pack muscle on like I am a raging roider but struggle to lose the fat. Weight is weight but based off bodyfat% I can gain muscle and lose fat...but my endocrine system is a mess.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Between May of last year and now I have gone from 41% body fat to 24%. In that same time I have gained 3 pounds of lean mass. I don't think it's possible, I know it's possible because I've done it.
  • in my case, not so much muscle gain but strength gains.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    What does natural mean? Does it mean fit or simply human? Please elaborate.
    not possible if your natural
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Between May of last year and now I have gone from 41% body fat to 24%. In that same time I have gained 3 pounds of lean mass. I don't think it's possible, I know it's possible because I've done it.
    How are you measuring your body fat%? If you're using a scale, equation or calipers, it's not accurate.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    As a complete beginner yes you can gain some muscle. I went from a skinny fat 160 to a skinny, less fat, bit of muscle 150 or so.

After your initial gains, its not gonna happen without "help"
  • Tujitsu56
    I love the answers so far. Didn't get as much of debate on this as I'd thought. The article was a great read also, very good insight. So in short:

It is possible by very fat people in the beggining of their workout and people who were once trained and started to train again after getting out of shape. It gets really hard once you are lean.

I was also thinking it depends on what you are eating, because if you are taking in High Protien very low carbs, where does your body get the energy? Wouldn't fat be easier to break down for energy than protien?

There seems to be sooo many variables involved.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    Yes, you probably are, it has to do with our survival response, but it's short lived, maybe 6 months. Eventually being in a caloric deficit out weighs the need to build muscle, the body needs to survive ultimately, doesn't it.
  • Tujitsu56
    I agree that body fat scales aren't accurate, but they don't really range 20%:)
    How are you measuring your body fat%? If you're using a scale, equation or calipers, it's not accurate.
  • erickirb

how have you calculated BF%, if you are using the electric pulse devise or scale I would not go by it. You would have to use a Bodpod or have hydrostatic weighing to get an accurate reading make the claim you are making.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I love the answers so far. Didn't get as much of debate on this as I'd thought. The article was a great read also, very good insight. So in short:

It is possible by very fat people in the beggining of their workout and people who were once trained and started to train again after getting out of shape. It gets really hard once you are lean.

I was also thinking it depends on what you are eating, because if you are taking in High Protien very low carbs, where does your body get the energy? Wouldn't fat be easier to break down for energy than protien?

There seems to be sooo many variables involved.

Genetics and your beginning fitness level as well as your current body fat percentage have to do with how fast you can build, but most people cannot gain muscle mass at a deficit. I started as morbidly obese at 47% body fat and am now at 27% (still overweight). It comes to about a 14 lb gain in lean mass (note: not just muscle mass). My understanding is that most of this is due to fat loss and water retention in the muscles.

EDIT: Measurements for me were done by calipers by my trainer and are consistent over the last 11 months (consistent technique used and the numbers are not fluctuating wildly). I also lift heavy 3x per week and was brand new to lifting when I started.
  • usmcmp

It was done by a doctor using hydrostatic weighing. A very accurate method.
  • erickirb
    double post
  • erickirb

I would have to say you did gain some then. Were you new to lifting at the time?
  • usmcmp

how have you calculated BF%, if you are using the electric pulse devise or scale I would not go by it. You would have to use a Bodpod or have hydrostatic weighing to get an accurate reading make the claim you are making.

I don't use a BIA scale, I know they can vary up to 5% depending on just how much water you have.
  • usmcmp

I would have to say you did gain some then. Were you new to lifting at the time?

No I wasn't new to lifting. I have been lifting for years, just not quite like I have been this last year.