thyroid side effects

Options
Fit4_Life
Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
Anyone out there losing hair from their medication? Any over-the-counter remedies? I'm not losing any hair, but a little freaked out about it....thanks in advance.

Replies

• peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What medication is it?
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I began to lose some before taking my medicine. Now, all is well! I understand your worry, but know that everything will be fine as soon as your meds are in order. :drinker:
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Can you take a vitamin with Biotin?
    Helps hair and nails
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Besides the medication, how is your nutrition? This can cause you to lose hair very easily. But as soon as your meds put you in the normal range you should be okay.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'd say to check with your doctor if you start losing hair. I don't think that's a side effect you have to live with.

I have no side effects from my thyroid medication. I have mine filled at a compound pharmacy, though.
  • efarrar13
    Options
    I think it is supposed to make your hair less brittle. I haven't had any issues and they just bumped me up to 125mcg of synthroid. It is replacing a hormone you are lacking so don't understand having you be "normal" would cause your hair to fall out.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I was on synthroid for awhile. I didn't notice any hair loss. I know meds are scary. Try not to stress :)
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    didn't lose hair after my surgery, thyroid meds or treatments.
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had My Thyroid Removed 14 years ago, Still Have a Full Head of hair! No Worries :wink:
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Levoxyl for about 15 yrs now. It shouldn't cause hair loss, if anything it would cure it since hair loss is a major symptom of being hypothyroid to begin with. Check your iron levels, as deficiency in iron can make you lose hair too. However all of you should know that iron interferes with absorption of your thyroid meds, as does calcium. You have to space those as far away from your thyroid med as possible, like at least 6-8 hrs.
  • Fit4_Life
    Options
    I've been taking Levoxyl for about 15 yrs now. It shouldn't cause hair loss, if anything it would cure it since hair loss is a major symptom of being hypothyroid to begin with. Check your iron levels, as deficiency in iron can make you lose hair too. However all of you should know that iron interferes with absorption of your thyroid meds, as does calcium. You have to space those as far away from your thyroid med as possible, like at least 6-8 hrs.

I don't take iron vitamins. I started to take vitamin D3, fish oil and calcium. Tho, I did not know to take calcium 6-8 hrs after. I will get back on biotin and other vitamins. My thyroid Med is: Levothyroxin 125 mcg. The Dr had lowered my meds...wish I didn't have to take them at all. Grrr.. lol. Thank u all for the advice.
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I suspect the doctor lowered your dose as your blood results may have shown the dose was too high.

Hair loss usually comes with the increased metabolic rate that accompanies an over active thyroid or over replacment. There are of course exceptions but when underactive the hair isn't always affected.

It may be a while before you notice any improvement in your hair - your system needs to get used to the lower dose of thyroxine and adjust accordingly. In my experience the hair can take some time to settle but as everyone has said once things are stable it should sort itself out.

Just be careful with the vitamins etc - if they contain kelp or any form of iodine it can affect the thyroxine metabolism
  • Fit4_Life
    Options
    I suspect the doctor lowered your dose as your blood results may have shown the dose was too high.

Hair loss usually comes with the increased metabolic rate that accompanies an over active thyroid or over replacment. There are of course exceptions but when underactive the hair isn't always affected.

It may be a while before you notice any improvement in your hair - your system needs to get used to the lower dose of thyroxine and adjust accordingly. In my experience the hair can take some time to settle but as everyone has said once things are stable it should sort itself out.

Just be careful with the vitamins etc - if they contain kelp or any form of iodine it can affect the thyroxine metabolism

I have been on this lower dose for a year now. I previously had gone to the doctor and there are no changes in my meds.