I think my scale is broken!

Options
I am so mad right now. I weighed this morning and it shows I've GAINED 2 1/2 pounds!!!!! What the hell? I have worked so hard this week. In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I went over on my calories 2 days, but on the other 4 days I did great. I even exercised, allbeit minimally, 3 times this week.

I was out of town for 3 days and I really worked at this. I made so many good choices, passed up the pasteries, drank water instead of the free cokes, and ate a lot of salads at meals. I just don't see how I could have gained. I really thought it would all balance out and I would still have a lose.

Obviously, I was WRONG!!!!!! It's just not fair. Frankly, right now, all I want to do is give up and eat a really tasty breakfast. I mean, if I'm going to work my *kitten* off and forgo so many things I'd like to have, it better show on the scale. Otherwise, I might as well eat what I want!

Replies

• wender
    wender Posts: 38
    Options
    I am so mad right now. I weighed this morning and it shows I've GAINED 2 1/2 pounds!!!!! What the hell? I have worked so hard this week. In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I went over on my calories 2 days, but on the other 4 days I did great. I even exercised, allbeit minimally, 3 times this week.

I was out of town for 3 days and I really worked at this. I made so many good choices, passed up the pasteries, drank water instead of the free cokes, and ate a lot of salads at meals. I just don't see how I could have gained. I really thought it would all balance out and I would still have a lose.

Obviously, I was WRONG!!!!!! It's just not fair. Frankly, right now, all I want to do is give up and eat a really tasty breakfast. I mean, if I'm going to work my *kitten* off and forgo so many things I'd like to have, it better show on the scale. Otherwise, I might as well eat what I want!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal. You could be retaining water. Also, what kind of dressing did you have on your salads, and what type of salads were they? There are a lot of hidden calories in salads that can sabotage us when we're traveling and trying to eat right.

DO NOT GIVE UP. You will kick yourself later, honest. Kick up the exercise this week and see what happens. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • CHANCE352
    Options
    Don't give up!! There are alot of things to take into consideration like are you weighing yourself at the same time of the day? Did you eat alot of sodium? Sodium will cause water retention, which will make your scale go up.

I've been doing this for 6 weeks just as you described in your post, eat right most of the time and exercise minimally and have lost 4 pounds. But that's 4 pounds I would not have lost if I didn't stick with it.
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    A week does not a lifetime make!! Keep making good choices and you will see results. You are worth fighting for, and you can do this! Never give up.

Lynnie
  • jazzycarolanne
    Options
    Don't do it!!!

Seriously....2.5 pounds is not that much and it is probably mostly water. Do the math......3500 calories per pound so....8750 extra calories for that weight to be fat. There is no way Wender. You sound like you were making some good choices with only a few slips....totally human. This weight gain will happen and it is discouraging....I know.....but unless you ate 8750 extra calories.....it is temporary. I bet if you wait a week then get on the scales.....all will be well. This has happened to me many times and I am always amazed that the next week I am back on track. So....big breath....healing thoughts....I know you can do it Wender. Stay strong!

Carol Anne
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Guess what................ I've exercised my butt off this whole month and when I checked my progress for the month, I was the SAME weight......... thruout the month, I would gain and lose 2 or 3 lbs, but, when I checked my measurements, I had lost 1/2 inch off my waist.........

There are other factors besides that scale! Keep pushing play; you'll be glad!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I did an experiment on day. I weighed myself by the hour all day long, just to see what would happen.

I went up and down through out the day by 5 pounds!! Yes FIVE pounds!

Also the next day I ended up being 1 pound lighter than same time the morning before.

Not to worry! Tomorrow you could be down by 3!

:flowerforyou:
  • lauren85
    Options
    i know the feeling i have a regular scale and a digtal (or however you spell it) scale. well the regular one shows me at 165 and the digtal one shows me at 170! that is a five pound difference! :grumble: i dont know which one to believe. and i am trying to find things that has their weight on it so i can see which one is closer but have had no luck. i am ready to exploded:explode:
  • chelseachick
    Options
    Don't give up. Weight fluctuation is normal. i"m up 1.5 lbs since yesterday - but I just started menstruating so I know that is why. I also snowshoed my derriere off yesterday and had lots of calories unused so know that I can't have gotten "fatter". So....don't get discouraged - you'll see results. Stick with it - you can do it!

:drinker:
  • wender
    wender Posts: 38
    Options
    snowboarding! I am jealous. I'm in Texas and we don't really know what snow is here, much less how to play in it.

Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate it.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I did an experiment on day. I weighed myself by the hour all day long, just to see what would happen.

I went up and down through out the day by 5 pounds!! Yes FIVE pounds!

Also the next day I ended up being 1 pound lighter than same time the morning before.

Not to worry! Tomorrow you could be down by 3!

:flowerforyou:

Not only does it fluctuate through the day, but I experimented with WHERE I put the scale and it would fluctuate 2 pounds! I finally had to mark a spot on the bathroom floor!! :laugh: