For those who are now maintaining:

How did you decide where to stop? At your original goal weight? Did you hit a plateau and decide to maintain there? Did you eventually feel you'd lost too much and choose regain a few pounds?

I'm closing in on my goal of 20 lbs lost, but this will still place me more than 10 lbs. above the BMI cut-off for "underweight" for my height. I'm feeling healthy, energetic, and not one bit deprived or exhausted, and I haven't hit a plateau yet that's lasted more than a week. So when I reach my goal (sometime in the next 4-5 weeks, assuming I don't plateau), I'm wondering how I'll decide whether to stay there or keep going!! :)

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    I passed my original goal because I felt I could lose more.....I am about 2 lbs from my 2nd goal and will probably stay here because this is where I feel the best, and look the best in my skin! but who knows when I hit that 2 lbs what will happen. I am not really trying to lose any more lbs but get more fit and toned!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    My original goal weight was 150lbs. I hit that in Sept 2010. I wasn't 100% happy with how I looked at the time, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to try and lose more or just work on toning things up. So, from Sept 2010 to May 2011, I simply maintained. I was proud to maintain through the holidays, through injuries and some illnesses that kept me out of the gym. In May 2011, I decided to try upping my calories and switched up my gym routine - I lost 7lbs in like 10 days. I have been maintaining between 143-146ish pounds since.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Ultimately I wanted 115, i had surgery (deviated septum) the same week that I had hit maintenance and went to 112 because I ate as if I was inactive when due to the recovery i was burning extra calories. I ended up liking 112 so decided to stay there and have maintained for about 2 and a half months now. The actual goal weight when I started was 125, then I thought oh I was 105-110 in high school, I'll drop until I feel confortable again. So from 125, I went to 120, then 115 and then 112 which is where i plan on staying. 95-127 is healthy for me being 5 foot tall so the ranges never helped on deciding!! It is all about when you feel comfortable... and you'll only know that when you've arrived AND it's maintainable. To maintain 112 I can eat 1440 calories a day, something that I can manage, I'd love to be 105 but i can't see myself eating less calories that 1400 for the rest of my life! I hope that helps :-)

SW 155.1
    GW and CW 112.0
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Bits of all the above really. Originally I just wanted to be in normal BMI, then I headed for 175lbs just because it a nice round number (12.5 stones over here.) Then I dropped a bit more in tandem with taking up clean eating and C25K, because there was still a bit of fat remaining. Now I'm settled and stable on 168lbs/12 stones, the weight I was in my early 20's. Looks OK in the mirror (slim, not thin) and is east to maintain so I regard it as my 'natural' weight.