spike 84 lifestyle!!

Options
I would encourage anyone struggling with their weight loss to check this out

http://www.spike84.com/

I was currently on a 4month stall and was searching for something I could stick to and would work and this did it. The scale is moving again and I love lifting weights so it is a win win for me. I hope it will be for others too. We do have a spike 84 group on here if anyone is interested. Thanks

Replies

• rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this information:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I encorporated this into my weightloss journey and have never looked back. Good stuff!!
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    4TK was my inspiration to look into this, I got the kindle version of Russell's book from amazon.com and incorporated it that same week.

It works well on so many levels!
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    4TK inspires me too Bruce.

What I really like about the Spike group is we have some very intelligent members who improve the Spike program with their ideas and research. They also look outside the box for answers and they've had amazing results.

They help anyone who asks and love Spiking just as much as I do. It's a fun group to be around.

Thanks for posting this tmaksparkie :smile:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    So I'm curious. .... the main way this works is that most of the time you keep to the healthy, calorie-restricted diet, and then every so often you have a binge/spike day?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    So I'm curious. .... the main way this works is that most of the time you keep to the healthy, calorie-restricted diet, and then every so often you have a binge/spike day?

The reason this works is the hormonal response associated with a one day spike in calories and carbohydrates. Bmr for six days, one day around 2 x bmr usually works well. I have also seen good results spreading those spike day calories over two days.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joellevh
    joellevh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Where is the spike group? I am hoping to loose 130 pounds total. I have 12 off so far. :)
  • Russellb97
    Options
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I can say I was looking into a couple diets including Body 4 life, found the spike84 diet on here and gave it a try.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51259&d=1326850769
    attachment.php?attachmentid=51258&d=1326850767

Join the group and several of us spikers will help you out!

I've actually put about 4 pounds on last month or so hitting the gym hard. Down another pant size, love handles seen in the picture are barely there and my strength has gone up greatly! I'll take inches over the pounds at this point :-)
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    this has worked for me but never realised it was called the 'spike' method aha. i started off at 282lbs and am now around 175lbs. goal is 145-150 and im 5'10 so im quite tall for a girl lol! but yea, this method defo works for me, i have 6 days at about 1200 cals and then once a week go between 2700-4000 cals depending on how im feeling:)
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've been wavering back and forth about it. I bought the book a few weeks ago and read it (yay kindle app). The 1200 cal days have me a little scared, but I guess I could manage. It's only 2-3 days a week, that might work. I might have to rethink it some more and maybe reread the book.

it should work well w/ my current program since I'm lifting 4 days and have 3 days off.

If it wasn't for D2, I prob would have never even known Spike existed ... plus he rocks and his progress is amazing! :)
  • snaggly
    snaggly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm really disappointed.

I have been doing very well with my weight loss journey, no plateaus etc and have only 8 more lbs to go to GW. I tried a "spike" day on Sunday (it's now Tuesday over here) and I put on 3lbs and have only lost around 1lb the next day (Monday)! I did keep to my cal goal on Monday. From all accounts, I'm supposed to have lost all the pounds by today but instead, I have to work hard to lose that 2lbs AGAIN to get back to where I was pre-"spike" on Saturday.

Spike is out for me.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

I have been doing very well with my weight loss journey, no plateaus etc and have only 8 more lbs to go to GW. I tried a "spike" day on Sunday (it's now Tuesday over here) and I put on 3lbs and have only lost around 1lb the next day (Monday)! I did keep to my cal goal on Monday. From all accounts, I'm supposed to have lost all the pounds by today but instead, I have to work hard to lose that 2lbs AGAIN to get back to where I was pre-"spike" on Saturday.

Spike is out for me.

#1. It hasn't been a week.
    #2. To have gained 3lbs of weight you would of had to eat 10,500 cals roughly over your maintenance. Most likely it's water and food weight and will still come off this week. Unless you ate 12,000 cals, if you did... That would be the most amazing food diary entry EVER!
    #3. If you spike you can't be obsessed with weighing yourself daily. After a spike you will put on weight and you will drop it over the course of the week and then some.

I am sorry it hasn't worked for you, everyone is different and you have to find the way that works for you!
  • snaggly
    snaggly Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Spike is out for me.

#2. To have gained 3lbs of weight you would of had to eat 10,500 cals roughly over your maintenance. Most likely it's water and food weight and will still come off this week. Unless you ate 12,000 cals, if you did... That would be the most amazing food diary entry EVER!
    #3. If you spike you can't be obsessed with weighing yourself daily. After a spike you will put on weight and you will drop it over the course of the week and then some.

I am sorry it hasn't worked for you, everyone is different and you have to find the way that works for you!

So for those who spike effectively, they will lose the water and food weight AND their target weight after the spike? So, say, if you put on 3lbs straight after the spike and your target is a loss of 1lb for the week, would you find that you lose 4lbs all up for the week then?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Spike is out for me.

So for those who spike effectively, they will lose the water and food weight AND their target weight after the spike? So, say, if you put on 3lbs straight after the spike and your target is a loss of 1lb for the week, would you find that you lose 4lbs all up for the week then?

No necessarily, but it isn't about scale weight. The point of the spike is twofold: hormonal change and fuel for a KICKBUTT workout the next day. Your weight will fluctuate with the amount of stored glycogen/water which are increased after your spike day. The point is body fat, not scale weight!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Spike is out for me.

No necessarily, but it isn't about scale weight. The point of the spike is twofold: hormonal change and fuel for a KICKBUTT workout the next day. Your weight will fluctuate with the amount of stored glycogen/water which are increased after your spike day. The point is body fat, not scale weight!

Correct, like I said earlier. I've gained several pounds the last couple weeks but waist is down a whole pant size and my strength is up. I do find I usually lose its just later in the week.

Example.

Spike DAY NOM NOM NOM: I'll be up 5 pounds.
    Next Day, I'll still be up 3.5 pounds, loss of around 1.5 pounds.
    Next Day, I'll be up around 2.0 pounds,
    Next Day I'll up around 1.0 pound
    Next Day I'm back to pre-spike weight
    Next Day I'm down .5 pounds
    Next Day I'm down a total of 1 pounds
    Next Day (Spike Day) in before spike I'm down a total of 1.5-2 pounds.

That is usually how my week works, that is why you can't scale watch on the Spike diets like Spike84/Body4Life and etc.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    That makes a lot more sense ... Hmmm ... will go home and read later. I would read now, but I'm already about to fall asleep ... LOL

Work is sooooooo slow!
  • Russellb97
    Options

Spike is out for me.

I'm sorry snaggly, for me it's always about long-term success. The scale fluctuates too often day to day to be any sort of reliable guide for fat loss.

This is why the numbers and science are very important to me. If you really gained 3lbs of fat, you would have had to of had 10,500 calories over the calories you burned that day. So say you burned 2,000, you'd have to eat 12,500 calories and at the same time had full glycogen stores. It's totally impossible.

When we spike, the excess calories are stored as glycogen, and our body stores 3 grams of water for each gram of stored glycogen, hence the reason why we gain 2-4lbs after we spike. During the next few days you burn through those glycogen stores and lose the water weight. Plus your metabolism is rocking so the fat is coming off the whole time.