Am I still hungry?

Options
I know when I am very hungry, but once I begin eating I really struggle with knowing when I am satisfied. Not sure I have a satisfied point, I may go right from still hungry to sick full.

Has anyone else dealt with this and figured it out?

Thanks!

Replies

• bitterbrownie
    Options
    i don't tend to have this problem of not knowing when i'm full - but i do have a problem with stopping ;p i eat with my eyes!

what works best for me is eating a portion size (leave any more in the kitchen or wherever i am NOT eating so it's harder to get seconds) and then wait a reasonable amount of time (such as 20 minutes) to see how full i feel.

also, try drinking water or diluted squash at meal times which will make you feel fuller

hope this helps :)
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this same thing on occasion, with my binges. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me as to how to stop before I make myself physically sick!
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Yes. What helped me was to drink a large glass of water before each meal. Then I would go outside and walk for just 5 minutes. Then I would sit down to eat my meal. I would eat exactly half of my meal and then leave the table for 10-15 minutes. I would go outside, walk again for 5 minutes, and then return to my meal. If I was still hungry, I would eat it all. If not ... I would leave food on my plate. This worked for me because my portions were WAY off. I did not know the difference between REALLY hungry and just eating out of habit until I was stuffed. I also made myself slow down and really chew each and every bite ... slowly. You don't have to do this forever, just until you learn how to eat and enjoy smaller portions. I hope this helps you too.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I just stop eating when I hit my calories. I'm never full longer than a few hours
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I plan what I'm going to eat in advance, I eat it, I wait. If I'm still hungry an 30 - 60 minutes later I have something small, I like to keep apples on hand just for this occassion. I eat 6 times a day.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat quickly and I always had the tendency to eat way more than needed. Now I plan what I am going to eat, and even though I am not satisfied when I finish, I know that in 20 minutes or so I will be satisfied. If not, I have a snack.

But even if I don't plan what I am going to eat, I have figured out about how much I need to eat to be satisfied. It might take some experimentation.