Did you start at a different site or is this your first?

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
I have read through old posts in the forums some.... I've seen people transferred here from fitday, sparkpeople, weight watchers, calorie king, etc

Just wondering where everyone "came from" - and why you chose this place to stay. Do you use other sites in addition to this one still? Why did you leave your other place.

I guess I'm asking because I am originally from another site! Calorie King - where I spent 2.5 years and lost 60 pounds. I searched high and low over the past year for a "new home" because I didn't like the upgrades/updates the site was going through and the food diary was horribly slow and constantly "lost" the entries I'd make. Oh, and the price kept going up- last straw for me was when it hit 75$ year in December, and my opinion was that the site wasn't worth that much considering the food diary rarely even worked! So, that's my story. Their program was great! Very similar to this one actually, the people in the forums were super helpful and friendly and funny - I miss them (although a bunch of them are here now too!) I don't regret being a member over there, I just think it was time for me to move on.

I'd tried the Daily Plate, Fit Day, SparkPeople, CalorieCount and probably half a dozen other places I don't even remember the names of but just didn't like much.

I chose this one because the food diary is SOOOOooooo easy to use and FAST! The people in the forums here are equally as helpful and friendly as they were on my old site, and it's cozy (not super huge and confusing like Sparkpeople). The blogging section here could use a lot of help (was spoiled with how nice the set up was at CK!) I love the ability to put all the pictures in your profile - although it sure would be nice to be able to label them! Other than the blogs, my only other complaint is that the reports here leave a lot to be desired- they aren't very detailed and I miss having a "pie chart" of my nutrients that I can look at for the day, week or even the past year!

It's taking me a bit of getting used to as this place is definitely different, but from every other free site that I investigated, this was the one that I chose to be my "new home". I've been here just about a month now.... and still enjoying it very much so.
:smile:

Replies

• Wolfena
    Options
    I have read through old posts in the forums some.... I've seen people transferred here from fitday, sparkpeople, weight watchers, calorie king, etc

Just wondering where everyone "came from" - and why you chose this place to stay. Do you use other sites in addition to this one still? Why did you leave your other place.

I guess I'm asking because I am originally from another site! Calorie King - where I spent 2.5 years and lost 60 pounds. I searched high and low over the past year for a "new home" because I didn't like the upgrades/updates the site was going through and the food diary was horribly slow and constantly "lost" the entries I'd make. Oh, and the price kept going up- last straw for me was when it hit 75$ year in December, and my opinion was that the site wasn't worth that much considering the food diary rarely even worked! So, that's my story. Their program was great! Very similar to this one actually, the people in the forums were super helpful and friendly and funny - I miss them (although a bunch of them are here now too!) I don't regret being a member over there, I just think it was time for me to move on.

I'd tried the Daily Plate, Fit Day, SparkPeople, CalorieCount and probably half a dozen other places I don't even remember the names of but just didn't like much.

I chose this one because the food diary is SOOOOooooo easy to use and FAST! The people in the forums here are equally as helpful and friendly as they were on my old site, and it's cozy (not super huge and confusing like Sparkpeople). The blogging section here could use a lot of help (was spoiled with how nice the set up was at CK!) I love the ability to put all the pictures in your profile - although it sure would be nice to be able to label them! Other than the blogs, my only other complaint is that the reports here leave a lot to be desired- they aren't very detailed and I miss having a "pie chart" of my nutrients that I can look at for the day, week or even the past year!

It's taking me a bit of getting used to as this place is definitely different, but from every other free site that I investigated, this was the one that I chose to be my "new home". I've been here just about a month now.... and still enjoying it very much so.
    :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I was at Fitday before.
    I actually prefer some of the Fitday functions-- It logs numbers in % rather than just numbers, so if I can't eat all my calories I can at least maintain my macronutrient ratios. You can view all of your vitamins and minerals in one graph. There's also pie charts and stuff. But that was the old Fitday, and when I went back for a couple days it had changed and I didn't like it as much.

But I love the MFP message boards!!! :smooched:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I found this site first, it worked, so I've been here for over a year! :smile:

I'm one of the lucky ones!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I found this site first, it worked, so I've been here for over a year! :smile:

I'm one of the lucky ones!

That goes ditto for me!!! :smile:
    Tons of "diets" over the years, but no other site.
    I sure never dreamed that a website would work over all the places I tried, such as WW, Dr's diets, etc., but, it sure HAS! I LOVE MFP! Can't say enough good about it! :love:
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I lost weight on calorie count. I moved and didn't have a computer for a while. When I went to log back in after months I could not log in and it would not send me my password? Maybe they delete after awhile? It also was updated and seemed too confusing to me so I looked around and came here to try and I really like it.

The only thing I like more about calorie count is the graph that shows trend lines. The trend lines really help you ignore the little ups and downs and see where you were headed long term.
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've only ever used MFP so I don't know any different :smile:

I have to say that I've been more than happy here :drinker:
  • rosered51
    Options
    I tried the Daily Plate before and lost about 50 pounds...but then I had a health scare and had to quit working out and I totally got bummed and quit everything all together. I gained about 30 pounds back and decided that I was NOT going back to 250! I was getting really depressed so I went back to the Daily Plate to start all over again and it had changed! I was having problems logging my food and it was giving me error messages so I decided to look for something else to use...somehow I found this site and I absolutely LOVE it! I have told so many people about it and my workout buddy is now a member also.

For me the fact that it is FREE is mind blowing! I couldn't afford a pay site and this is so totally motivational. I know I am going to make it into the 100 club this time!
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I've tried weight watchers - couldn't deal with the points or core program, but did lose 5 pounds

Also tried Change One - good program, and I did lose about 10 pounds, but when they set me loose, I changed my habits and gained it all back.

I also tried logging food on a paper diary for a fitness trainer at work (yes, we do have a fitness center at work - great perk), and this worked pretty well also.

The trainer at the fitness center at work suggested MFP because I had done well with logging - been here ever since and love it..

jb
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    When I started my new lifestyle in Oct of 2007, I just needed to find a place to help me keep track of my calories eaten. I found this site and found it so easy to enter food, I've been here ever since. The only thing I have never liked is that it adds in exercise calories, if you list them, and does not give you the option to turn that off. At least in the beginning it had different columns and showed the exercise cals you earned and then the total unlike now where it automatically enters them in. So I never enter my calories burnt until the end of the day. (That's right, I don't eat my exercise calories and never have- I work with a trainer and am on a different meal plan and calorie count than this site would have me on, so I am already eating a lot more than this site would have me on. Following my trainer's plan helped me meet my goal and am now maintaining.)

All in all though, I love this site and once I started to use the message boards, I have met some great people and gotten a lot of encouragment, and good information.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who tried a bunch of different sites. She finally stuck to this one because of how easy the food section was. Then she started to rant and rave about it and then I decided to sign up.

I've used sparklepeople to look for different calorie things...but I don't like there set-up.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    this is the only site that I have ever used.
    I have looked at others, but to me they all seemed to complicated.

My MFP!
  • nytoaz
    nytoaz Posts: 143
    Options
    This is my first and I don't plan on switching!! I used to keep track of calories & exercise on paper (what a pain that was!! :laugh: ). I would lose some weight, then gain it back once I stopped writing it all down. This is the longest I've stuck with a plan and it's definitely working ~ I'm almost at my goal :bigsmile: I love MFP :heart: :heart:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    This is the only site I have ever used, I did check out a few after I joined MFP, but I didn't like any of them as much as I like MFP, and I have been here a month as of today. I love it here.
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    I tried BLClub for a couple of mths. Was getting too expensive. I still can't get over the fact this is free. Mike, the founder, is just awesome for doing this. The thing I like about MFP the best is that the tickers are part of our signature. We instantly see each other's goals and progress. I really love tickers. Have had a few tickerfactory ones. But the one here is customizable and shows lbs lost in big font! Which is so encouraging to go around the site and see everyone's lbs lost in such big font. It's amazing how many sites are out there though.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I tried sparkpeople but it was very time consuming entering the cals so far this one has been great!!!
  • Wolfena
    Options
    I love the tickers being part of the signature too!

& I'm enjoying reading all of your opinions and stories - keep 'em coming!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I started at the daily plate. couldn't stay consistent b/c entering food was such a chore. I found this site on 12/27/08 and will never use another one. Mike is the best!!!!!
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    :happy: I have tried tons of other sites most were just not as active as this site. I get bored easy and this site has soo much support it really helps keep me motivated. The community here is really freindly and not the least bit catty. Some sites seem to have alot of people cutting each other down instead of building them up. I loved sparkpeople too, but my group on there just kinda fizzled out, so I switched to mfp and this is where I plan to stay.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've used sparkpeople but HATED the database there, My food diary that I liked (but there was a $9 a month fee for that one), and fitday but I just really didn't like fitday. Once I found this one and how easy to use it is and the database is HUGE! I hardly ever have to manually input the food that I eat. And I love the people here! :heart: