MFP Bullying Needs to Stop

Options

Replies

• cj1234cj23
    cj1234cj23 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Amen! I stopped coming to the site for a couple of weeks after reading some posts one morning! I was shocked that they were so rude to this woman! I was really discouraged just by reading her post. hmmm....I do think I shall start calling them out on it....and no saying....regardless if it is "just sayin" gives a person the right to be rude.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I didn't know this type of thing was going on.

Just today, someone posted a question about cals in a recipe. She voiced that she thought it being baked made a difference. Some people chose to be extremely rude about it...what was the point in that?
    What's the point in this thread?

To point out that not everyone thinks the rude/snarky/sarcastic replies to people are cool.
    Well thank goodness, no more sleepless nights! :drinker:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, I think some people are just sensitive.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb-- ask youself "am I saying this to be helpful or am I just cranky because I need a snack?"
    Works wonders in my personal life. :)

Word.
  • jennajava
    Options
    OP:
    With this in mind - a sensitive poster will state their personal objectives at the start of a post before making a statement like 'should my fridge contain more lard' ... But lets be honest - not everyone is super sensitive...

It stands to reason that if one is coming in to contact with several people a day who are presumably "sensitive," the problem is most likely not with the other people.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I didn't know this type of thing was going on.

Just today, someone posted a question about cals in a recipe. She voiced that she thought it being baked made a difference. Some people chose to be extremely rude about it...what was the point in that?
    What's the point in this thread?

To point out that not everyone thinks the rude/snarky/sarcastic replies to people are cool.
    Well thank goodness, no more sleepless nights! :drinker:

Okay?
  • elizahbeth
    Options
    I think you look smashingly pretty in all your pics.

Thank you for posting on this topic.

Niceness going out should get Nice coming back, equals
    supportive community on MFP.:smile:
  • killagb
    Options
    Okay?
    Hi.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Yeah I dont think so I need to see this pole where it shows that the sensative people out number the "others" I think the "others" are being quited frequently by being "reported". That would be an interesting pole to see.

OP:
    With this in mind - a sensitive poster will state their personal objectives at the start of a post before making a statement like 'should my fridge contain more lard' ... But lets be honest - not everyone is super sensitive...

It stands to reason that if one is coming in to contact with several people a day who are presumably "sensitive," the problem is most likely not with the other people.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Yep! It's the age of rudness because everyone is hiding behind computer screens with no consquences what so ever. I would love half these rude people to be rude to my face!! Seriously. But really it has been a huge problem. Just the other day some 17 year old posted about shake weight and how to log it. Man did she get ripped to shreds.. After like 10 posts of straight rudeness myself and some other people finally gave her answer she could use... after that the rudness continued with no constructive criticism to help her!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

this is the funniest thing I've read all day.
  • killagb
    Options
    I would love half these rude people to be rude to my face!! Seriously.
    That sounds like a threat.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I think a part of the issue is the anonymity of the internet. Folks feel free to do and say things they would never do in real life. I find as a rule of thumb if I wouldn't say it to someone to their face I shouldn't type it out as a reply online. If everyone used that guideline I think a lot of the snarkiness would dissipate. But alas there are those that thrive on that kind of stuff and we just need to not follow their path.

I wonder what Miss Manners would say on this?!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    HMMM.... I have not run into very much of that.

If I see a post written by someone who seemingly has not even tried to do a web search for a legitimate answer before posing it to a nefarious group of "experts", I will suggest they do just that. I will still offer what has worked for me, They can take it or leave it.

I am always nice about it, some may be more direct. I have not seen any mean comments though.

If someone does not want to hear the answers to their question from a group of strangers who may or may not even know what they are talking about, then maybe they should not ask.

Other than that, I agree with you 100%!!
  • jennajava
    Options
    Yeah I dont think so I need to see this pole where it shows that the sensative people out number the "others" I think the "others" are being quited frequently by being "reported". That would be an interesting pole to see.

OP:

Situation:
    Johnny speaks to 10 people. He offends 9 of them. So...9 other people "are just sensitive" and Johnny probably was not offensive?
  • jennajava
    Options

this is the funniest thing I've read all day.

How so?
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love how it's the other person's problem if they were offended.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    A good rule of thumb-- ask youself "am I saying this to be helpful or am I just cranky because I need a snack?"
    Works wonders in my personal life. :)

I am going to use this in my every day life...is this a necessary comment or do I need a cookie......LOVE LOVE LOVE this...thanks
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I heart you!!!:love:
  • killagb
    Options

OP:

Situation:
    Johnny speaks to 10 people. He offends 9 of them. So...9 other people "are just sensitive" and Johnny probably was not offensive?
    So by your logic, majority always knows best? That logic is highly flawed.
This discussion has been closed.