Is it Gluten Free or Not?

Options
2»

Replies

• bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In Australia It has to say in the list of Ingredients where things are derieved from Eg. tomato,onion,thickener(wheat)
    or strawberry,caramel colour (from corn) etc. Also it has to have an Allergen's list bellow i.e milk,dairy,nuts,wheat,gluten,crustacia.

Caramel colour from wheat normally isnt a problem these days as normally it is so highly processed that there will no longer be gluten present. What normally is the problem is that it can be contaminated from being used on the same machine's as other products containing gluten.

I have an App on my iphone form the ceoliac society Australia which has all the info and additive's. apparently our law's etc are alot more strict with Gluten Free foods. We cant even have certified Gluten Free Oats... (except some are trying too...they are about to get in big trouble!!)
    If you want this app, i highly reccomend it....
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    In Australia It has to say in the list of Ingredients where things are derieved from Eg. tomato,onion,thickener(wheat)
    or strawberry,caramel colour (from corn) etc. Also it has to have an Allergen's list bellow i.e milk,dairy,nuts,wheat,gluten,crustacia.

Caramel colour from wheat normally isnt a problem these days as normally it is so highly processed that there will no longer be gluten present. What normally is the problem is that it can be contaminated from being used on the same machine's as other products containing gluten.

I have an App on my iphone form the ceoliac society Australia which has all the info and additive's. apparently our law's etc are alot more strict with Gluten Free foods. We cant even have certified Gluten Free Oats... (except some are trying too...they are about to get in big trouble!!)
    If you want this app, i highly reccomend it....

I was going to mention them they have a HUGE list on what is ok

seriously if someone butters normal bread and uses that knife in your butter and then you use that butter you will get sick. Why bother taking the risk? You're safer to buy chicken breast cook it then separate into the serving sizes you use and freeze it. It will take you maybe 30 mins to cook it by steaming it on a stove top you can buy a few and do a months worth of sandwich meat in under an hour. (judging by how little you say your would use it)
  • erinrose07
    Options
    I don't have an answer whether it is gluten free or not - but I'm very curious to know what kind of product has corn sugar in chicken????
    I'd be just buying and eating chicken (no added sugar!) if it was me, then you know what you are getting (assuming a reputable supplier of course) and you know for sure there is no gluten.

It's The Carving Board, oscar mayer, deli chicken breast. I was contemplating putting a couple of pieces in a corn tortilla with hot sauce. I didn't really want a WHOLE breast of chicken sitting in my fridge because it would probably go to waste after those couple of pieces. I'm SURE there are tons of creepy preservatives in ALL of the chicken we eat unless you kill the damn chicken yourself.....this is America after all, lol ;)

Actually, it's not America here, it's an international forum - but you're quite right, deli meat has all kinds of stuff in it, and if convenience outweighs my better judgement I just don't look at what's in it - but I appreciate that it's really important if you need to be gluten-free.
    I've never come across such an ingredient before, hence my question!

Well, it iiiiiis America that I'm referring to in terms of creepy additives in our food. So with regard to my comment, yes, it would be America. I wonder which nations, aside from ours, have as dishonest a food industry as we do. Every one is out to make a buck in this industry and cut costs wherever they can find a way....with no concern for the fact that the true cost is our health. Trust No One.
  • erinrose07
    Options
    I was going to mention them they have a HUGE list on what is ok

seriously if someone butters normal bread and uses that knife in your butter and then you use that butter you will get sick. Why bother taking the risk? You're safer to buy chicken breast cook it then separate into the serving sizes you use and freeze it. It will take you maybe 30 mins to cook it by steaming it on a stove top you can buy a few and do a months worth of sandwich meat in under an hour. (judging by how little you say your would use it)
    [/quote]

Good idea :)
  • erinrose07
    Options
    BTW.....after extensive research, it is not gluten free. Ho-hum. It doesn't taste that good anyway. I just NEVER get around to eating meat of any kind so it would have been a convenient was to sneak it into my diet.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Okay, quick suggestion. Look at the contains allergens info underneath the ingredients section. Does it say wheat?
    The problem with this list of ingredients is that it is not specific enough. Most times, you will see ingredients like chicken broth have sub ingredients, showing what it contains. Since this doesn't have that, I would be hesitant to eat it (I'm gluten free, and get wicked ill when I have anything that contains wheat). Since I know chicken broth typically contains wheat, that would be my reasoning for steering clear of it.

The allergen info will specify whether a product has wheat or gluten. My rule of thumb is to check that allergen info first, as it saves me having to read down a list of ingredients in the first place.

Good advice! Thank you :)

It is good advice, but not a fail safe. Oftentimes they won't list other offensive ingredients like malt syrup in the allergens info. It's obnoxious. But, I do agree that it is one quick way of checking before you labor through the ingredients list.

Although, I saw a brand of granola (and I'm not trying to start a discussion on the gf status of oats or granolas) today that didn't have wheat listed in it's allergens info, yet had wheat germ and wheat bran in the ingredients. So, not everything is labeled properly either.

So annoying for us!