Knee injury

Options
Hi Everyone.

I have recently sprained my knee...or so they think right now. I am meeting with an orthopedic surgeon sometime soon. I can't do much for movement with it for almost a month. What can I do for exercises? I was doing so well and I would hate to lose that momentum. I know I can do sit ups, crunches, push ups and stuff like that, but are there any other suggestions for anything more cardio? Thanks!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise but good luck with your knee.:sick: :flowerforyou:
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a rowing machine, you can try that - just focus on the arms. If you can avoid putting pressure on the knee, you can even try some bending and sliding with the rowing machine using just one leg. It won't work as well, obviously, as it would without the injury, but it is a way to get at least some cardio.

Hand bikes (stationary or mobile) are harder to find, but can also give you good cardio using just your arms.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    This just happen to me, getting my MRI tomorrow... I was running before this happen and now I can't do any cardio.

Basically I swim in the pool at the gym do jumping jacks in the pool, squats etc. to get my heart rate up.. along with crunches etc. at home.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You could ask your doc about swimming
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Punches are great cardio. If you can, do them in a squat position for extra umph.

Don't know if you can, but when I injured my knee (tendonitis), I found that slow walking uphill was great. It didn't hurt at all, and I have a treadmill at home. Fantastic cardio workout.
  • janarmac
    janarmac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Swimming definitely! You can do lots of things with arms only and still get a great cardio work out.
    I've been dealing with knee injuries for a few years now and I was told biking would strengthen my knee! Might be worth asking your doctor about.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I sprained my knee at the weekend falling down the stairs so I am totally sympathetic. Walking with crutches does burn calories but I can't really do much else right now cos everything hurts! And it is totally exhausting! We should be friends!
  • JaneWrastle
    Options
    I had PT for my knee after surgery - and ps - do NOT try rowing, i used to row - everyone uses the machine wrong that i see at the gym - rowing requires your entire body and when you row you full expend your legs and use the pressue of your feet on the foot boards to push - it's very strenuous on the legs!

For PT I had to do a lot of little but intense movements to work the muscles around the knee and stretches of course so they didn't get too tense, esp in the leg that does all the compensating for the injured leg! Talk to a trainer about things you can do while laying down while your knee is stable or at least doesn't have your body weight on it.

i'm a cardio junkie myself but i must admit - those months doing therapy without ANY cardio - i had some pretty strong legs and didn't gain too much weight.
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know how much this stinks. I tore my ankle up (ligaments) in July. Got an xray, was diagnosed with a sprain. I was told by the doctor to start putting pressure on in 4 days, which I did. I started working out again 2 weeks later. I didn't know that my situation was so severe. It has been 4 months and I am still in a lot of pain, going through physical therapy. I can't run, which is so disappointing to me. I write this to you because I started doing my cardio far too soon and I regret it so much, rather than a month of sitting out, I'm dealing with 4 months of cronic pain and inability to do intensive cardio. I am an exercise-aholic, so I know how tough it is not to move.

I found Wii boxing to be very helpful to relieve my tension. I had to do it sitting down, mostly.

I also did a lot of upper body and abs. I could do awesome pike crunches by the end of my week at home.

It would be awesome if you had access to a rowing machine or a hand-peddle machine.
  • gretchensdoll
    Options
    swimming is a great option and you can even stationary bike with one leg or use a rowing machine (but keep the leg off to the side) best to you on your road to health
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips and kind words! Duh why didn't I think of swimming! All I have is a treadmill and that is how I hurt the knee...running on the treadmill. The doctor said it might actually have to do with an injury to my knee 20 years ago when I played tennis. I am so frustrated because I am just getting going into karate too and this just throws my whole plan off. I am also a band director and we are not done with marching season yet...we have one parade left. Thinking I might have to ride that one. :-)
  • Manysongs
    Options
    I was just going to suggest swimming but see everyone else has. :) I can so understand knee issues. I've had one replacement and need one in the other! Just take it easy and don't over do. Hope things get better soon!!! :flowerforyou:
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My knees suck too kiddo!!! I would also say swimming and shadowboxing!!! Too bad *sniff* that you have to give up marching for a while.

Depending on family relationships in the future, in a year or two might venture up your way for Oktoberfest!!!