Will I still build muscle if I strength train every other da

Options
Hi! So I use the 30DS as sort of "strength training" for me. I am still new to building muscle, so it is perfect for the time being. I did it for a little over a month 5 days a week and have built muscles in my legs, arms, and even in my stomach! I was wondering if it is OK for me to slow down and only do it every other day and just do cardio every day? I don't want to lose my muscles, I would like to stay nice and toned! Advice please.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    you aren't supposed to lift every day....at least not the same body part. your muscles need 24-48 hours to repair after you train them.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    you aren't supposed to lift every day....at least not the same body part. your muscles need 24-48 hours to repair after you train them.

Agreed. Your results will actually be better only doing it every second day.
  • SAC0O3
    SAC0O3 Posts: 95
    Options

Agreed. Your results will actually be better only doing it every second day.

Even something as simple as the 30DS?
  • n_unocero
    Options
    i dont know exactly what the 30DS is...never done it. but regardless of what the strength training is you need to give your body a rest. muscle forms during that recovery period. if you don't give your body time to build itself back up you will not build the muscle, or worse...you could end up hurting yourself.
  • SAC0O3
    Options
    Its that Jillian Micheals 30 Day shred... You lift like 3lbs weights!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred only used 3 lb weights....not real "lifting".
    So the "don't do it every day" rule doesn't really apply. Yes, you need a rest day, but you don't have to worry about doing it 2 days in a row.

I suggest you switch to a heavy lifting program. Buy some 10 and 15 pound dumbbells to start and work your way up from there. Soon you will laugh at the thought of Jillian being "lifting".

The shred is a good workout though, don't get me wrong, you just can't call it weight training. It's circuit training at best. Yes it kicks your *kitten*, but it's just not considered strength training.

Do cardio and heavy weights alternating days with one day of complete rest.
  • SAC0O3
    Options
    So the "don't do it every day" rule doesn't really apply. Yes, you need a rest day, but you don't have to worry about doing it 2 days in a row.

I suggest you switch to a heavy lifting program. Buy some 10 and 15 pound dumbbells to start and work your way up from there. Soon you will laugh at the thought of Jillian being "lifting".

The shred is a good workout though, don't get me wrong, you just can't call it weight training. It's circuit training at best. Yes it kicks your *kitten*, but it's just not considered strength training.

Do you have any lifting programs you could suggesT?
  • n_unocero
    Options

thanks for the clarification. i agree tho...lift heavier!!
  • n_unocero
    Options

just switch days. one day a week do legs, one day arms and abs, one day chest and back. throw 2 days of straight cardio in and boom!
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Check out bodybuilding.com, they have lots of routines. http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/ They give you what to do on different days with accompanying videos to show you the correct form. You can easily modify them (subtracting different exercises from the program) if you are a beginner so it isn't as overwhelming :)