NEED HELP - leg pain....what/who do I see about it?

Options
Need help from some folks who have had, or know about, leg pain when exercising. Been doing Zumba for about 4-5 months. About that time, or shortly thereafter, I started having pain in outside of my right leg, in the knee area - going down the leg about 3-4 inches. It's getting worse - even though I stretch before and after. I climb 2 flights of stairs about 8-10 times a day, and it doens't give me any pain. It seems the pain is really bad when I'm doing those side movements when I rotate the ball of my foot during various Zumba moves.
I've taken Motrin, iced it, use a brace and still having enough pain that I have to modify the movements during class.
Question; What could it be? What's causing it? What do I do about it? Who do I see for it?
THANKS! Judy

Replies

• misscmm
    Options
    Come sit in my hot tub!! (and maybe it's just that age thing ....) Not what you wanted to hear, I KNOW! Have you checked that you are wearing the proper shoes? Perhaps they are worn for "walking" but not for "Zumbaing"? Check the tread and go to a really good shoe store and tell them to check your gate, your stance and have them recommend something... orthopedic ... oh wait, I didn't say that ... I meant recommend something for your different exercise styles. ooo
  • catiego224
    catiego224 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It sounds like shin splints! They are common when you increase your exercise substancially. The best thing for them is rest and ice (try making an "ice cup" by freezing ice in a cup then using it to massage your leg).

Here is more info: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Start with your doctor, ask for a referral to a physiotherapist. They will be able to help you work out what is going on and how to get rid of it.