Taking a break...

Options
I have been very consistent with my workout routine since May, working out between 5 and 6 days for 30 to 120 minutes each session. My workouts typically burn anywhere between 200 and 1100 calories (per my HRM). I have lost a considerable amount of weight since May.

Here is my question: Would there be any harm in taking a week off from exercising? I'm still staying within my calorie budget and I'm not staying in bed all day. I don't want to get burned out, as I know I still have a long way to go.

What are your opinions?

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    80% of weight loss is how you eat... taking a break from exercise and controlling your eating and you should be fine.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It will probably do you more good than harm, mentally and physically.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    i agree, a week off now and then is GREAT for your body
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    It will probably do you more harm than good, mentally and physically.

I was thinking the exact opposite. Taking a break might be a great way to let your muscles really rest up and help you mentally recover and relax for a bit. Now you do have to have the discipline and commitment to make sure you get back to it once your week rest is over. No excuses!! From what you've described of your workout habits, I doubt you'll have a problem but you do have to think about this and clearly set your constraints before you decide to break.

As long as you stay in your calorie goals, you'll be fine weight wise.
  • curlerlikeyou
    Options
    I absolutely agree with the poster above. Plus, it might be a good idea to give your body a brief break from your workouts (especially those intense ones)...you'll probably have extra energy and get an extra weight loss "boost" once you start up again!

Best of luck!
    Kimberly
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It will probably do you more harm than good, mentally and physically.

I was thinking the exact opposite. Taking a break might be a great way to let your muscles really rest up and help you mentally recover and relax for a bit. Now you do have to have the discipline and commitment to make sure you get back to it once your week rest is over. No excuses!! From what you've described of your workout habits, I doubt you'll have a problem but you do have to think about this and clearly set your constraints before you decide to break.

As long as you stay in your calorie goals, you'll be fine weight wise.

LOL, I goofed, I meant to say more good than harm. You're absolutely correct. I'll edit.
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals I'm glad to know I'm not crazy for wanting to take a few days. It's not like I want to eat 5,000 calories a day and stay in bed all day. I have had a lot happen the past two days and I think taking a few days off would be good for me. I will start back up either Saturday or Sunday this week.