Wine

Options
I have been watching what I eat for a week now. But one problem that I am having is that I can't give up my 8oz glass of cabernet every night. Is anyone else drinking alcohol while counting calories...just curious

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yes I still drink wine, but mostly on days I work out so I get the extra calories. I can still lose while drinking wine provided:

A) I keep it in moderation
    B) I avoid the munchies I often get with wine drinking
    C) The rest of my food choices were smart, and not junk
    D) I get plenty of water throughout the day and in between drinking wine.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Yes. I drink wine, hard liquor mixed with low cal options, and even the occasional beer. A glass of wine is actually good for your heart and a number of other things. (Including your sanity!)

It doesn't have to be a deal breaker on the diet. Just log it.
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge microbrew snob. No way will I give my beloved nectar of the gods up. I have cut waaaaay back though. I'll have one or two (sometimes more) if I'm good on my calories for the day. Everything in moderation.........
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    search the threads for "like minded lushes" and you'll find plenty!
  • email4jenp
    email4jenp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How do you count your wine? None of them have a calorie count, so do you just use a general caloric amount? I love my wine, but I know some have to be much higher in calories than others due to the high sugar content. I tend to like the dryer reds and whites.

Just wondering how to figure out the calories for an 8oz glass of wine.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Search in the database.

I love wine, and I have a glass or two at least once or twice a week. I just make sure I have the calories left or on days when I run.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    How do you count your wine?

I use whatever is in the MFP tracker - white or red depending on what I'm having.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I haven't changed my drinking habits at all. I do events for a happy hour group here in the Raleigh, NC area and we go to bars/restaurants all over :)

Bottom line is it's like any other calorie....most wine is 150 cals/5 oz glass (check the db). Personally, I like bombay gin + tonics.

Just log it as you would anything else...oh, and exercise!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I still drink too, just make sure I log it. One thing I have found though, since I dont drink as much - now I look for quality wine - no drinking the crap stuff just for the sake of it. If Im going to have one glass, its going to be good and I am going to enjoy it!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I found that if you use the bar code scanner in your phone app (provided you have one, of course) a large percentage of the wines I drink can be found in the database. An average seems to be about 120 calories per 5 oz serving.
  • saabs80
    saabs80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I drink "Black Box" wine Cabernet sauvingon...might be misspelled. It is 120 calories for a 8 oz glass and no carbs and sugar. It is so good!!!
  • saabs80
    saabs80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I put in the brand name and that is what MFP came up with so I am tracking those 120 calories