Looking for recipe for BBQ Chili

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
We had a chili/soup day at work last week. Someone brought this awesome brisket chili. I asked for recipe and got this reply:

"I appreciate your interest, but the chili is not an over night thing. It is a 3 to four day deal. You cook the brisket in the oven for so many hours then you make your chili from the chopped Brisket. There is really no recipe it is something that you put together. "

Soooooo, now I'm looking for a good recipe. Had a bit of a bbq taste to it, but not overwhelming. And I'm thinking if you have a Chicken BBQ chili recipe, even better!

Thanks!

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump-friggity-bump-bump!!!
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Texas BBQ Chili
    Ingredients
    2 lbs ground turkey
    1 onions, chopped
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    dill, to taste
    chili powder, to taste
    cumin, to taste
    red pepper flakes, to taste
    2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained or 2 (14 ounce) cans substitute your favorite rotel
    1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    4 (16 ounce) cans chili beans
    3/4 cup picante sauce, your favorite flavor and heat
    1/2-3/4 cup barbecue sauce ( I love the original KC Masterpiece, but any thick, sweet BBQ sauce should work.)
    1 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies

Directions
    Sauté onion in a little bit of oil. Add ground beef and minced garlic. Dust with dill, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes. Mix and cook covered over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is cooked through. Drain fat.
    Add tomatoes, tomato paste and beans.
    Add picante sauce, barbecue sauce, diced green chilies.
    Add any additional chili powder and/or red pepper flakes.
    Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or more. I have let this simmer for up to 2 hours and the longer it sits, the yummier it gets. It's great the next day, and the day after, too!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Ah, that's a good one Rmartin, thanks!

I don't think the one she made had beans. But it did have a lot of grease from the brisket, so I definitely need a healthier version and beans would help bulk it up without the fat.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    bump!