Vinegar....Suppressant??

Options
I recently heard that vinegar can be a natural appetite suppressant! Is this accurate?

Replies

• driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Not too sure but quite possibly, I believe lemon is. Especially lemon water.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

How does adding water to lemon make it even more effective than just a plain lemon?
  • cheriematrix
    Options
    Something I recently learned is that adding lemon/lime and or vinegar to any recipe reduces the GI!
  • emkick
    Options
    Well with lemon water I would assume that you get both the benefits of being "filled" by the water and the suppressant of the lemon.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that vinegar can be a natural appetite suppressant! Is this accurate?
    It's pretty disgusting and will probably make you feel fairly ill. That's probably going to make you not hungry.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Something I recently learned is that adding lemon/lime and or vinegar to any recipe reduces the GI!
    I'm going to try this on some Twinkies, thanks so much!
  • DivaRenae
    Options
    My granny use 2 drink a tablespoon everyday....she lived to be 83,
    Some research indicates that vinegar, which provides a diluted dose of acetic acid, slows stomach emptying and thus potentially prolongs the sense of fullness after a meal (presumably, this is true even if the meal is nothing but vinegar). Of perhaps greater interest, vinegar lowers the glycemic index of foods such as white bread and pasta, making them more filling, possibly because the carbs enter the bloodstream more slowly. Also, by giving the appetite center a flavor—astringent—vinegar makes the brain feel as if it were being fed. Evidence that vinegar helps with weight loss or self-control is hard to find, but these mechanisms do make the idea plausible. As for safety, because vinegar is acidic, it may irritate the esophagus and stomach. Over time too much acid may leach calcium from bone and damage tooth enamel. Generally, though, up to three tablespoons of vinegar a day—at only 9 to 15 calories total—should be fine.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    A Japanese study showed that people who drank a vinegar drink lost more weight than those who did not. (see link) If I don't have a salad with vinegar with dinner, I take a tablespoon or so of organic raw vinegar - I think it helps with digestion. I mix with water or a little V-8 juice. I don't think it suppresses appetite however, it's not harmful so you could try it!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090622/vinegar-may-aid-in-fat-loss
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There a lot of people who swear by the benefits of apple cider vinegar. This does regain some nutrients that other vinegars don't have.
    Just use it has your salad dressing.
    I found it to be a good cough suppressant too when i had bronchitis. Just put a tbs in a small about of water with a bit of honey.
    Keep a bottle of it around, it's great for all sorts of things. I even use it in the garden to treat plants with mould problems.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    if you have the discipline to start drinking vinegar, how about trying to use that power for good and just make healthy choices about your food intake?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    last night i had a powerful hunger, so i had a shake, a banana, a pork chop, and a sweet potato. that suppressed my appetite right good.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    last night i had a powerful hunger, so i had a shake, a banana, a pork chop, and a sweet potato. that suppressed my appetite right good.

Shoulda put some vinegar on that potato to reduce the GI!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    it certainly could be for me.... i can hardly stand the smell of it let alone take tablespoons or drink it (except for balsamic = love - but needs good, crusty sour dough bread!).
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options

How does adding water to lemon make it even more effective than just a plain lemon?

It doesn't, sorry I should've elaborated more. What I meant was my preference is to have it in water because it makes it more bearable if you're not a person who can drink lemon straight.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I dunno, but there is a gal out there that loves the stuff. She has a lot of boy drama though. May be her vinegar levels.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I tried the apple cider vinegar in water and could hardly get it down!
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I dunno, but there is a gal out there that loves the stuff. She has a lot of boy drama though. May be her vinegar levels.

I love you. :flowerforyou:
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Sounds like quality Broscience
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    I have vinegar or a squeeze of lime on salad. Dunno if its a suppressant but it tastes nice and I dont like "dressings".
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I heard antifreeze is an appetite suppressant.