HIIT training for REAL Fat loss

Options
About a year ago I posted a routine I made up that was based on my years as a high school and college football(US football, not soccer) and rugby player. Little did I know it was all just an advanced derivative of the now widely popular HIIT training type (High Intensity Interval Training). Which fatigues muscles to anaerobic burn. This triggers the release of hormones which stimulate fat burn and suppress cortisol release (Testosterone and HGH among others).

You can see the article about it recently in OnFitness magazine (Issue 26) where they talk about HIIT training in the EPOC article. You can also get the basics on HIIT training here:
http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

anyway, here is my posted routine. Feel free to take it and use it. It is modefied for a more advanced athlete (I go for an hour about 2 times a week), but you can cut it down in half and still get amazing results if you are willing to do the work (it really kicks your *kitten* the first time you do it!)

*****WARNING***** This is an advanced routine, if you have back, heart or respitory problems don't attempt this without first consulting your doctor or a trainer.
This isn't complicated or magical it's quite simple actually. Block out an hour of your day, that's all you need is 1 hour (your heartrate will hit 90% for a good 30 to 45 minutes of this so don't worry about calorie burn, you'll burn 7 to 800 easy probably closer to 1000).
Find a park or open field with flat grass, watch out for rough patches that can turn an ankle.
First do an opening 5 minute jog around, you should make this brisk, not just a warm up, but faster, try to get your heart rate up to about 70% max.
Next start with wind sprints, we will start with reps of 15. Count 30 yards, 30 strides should do, call it 32 or 33 for shorter people. mark them with something (I just make a mark in the grass with my heel)
Sprint as fast as you can, pushing yourself as hard as possible through the end of the sprint, give yourself 30 seconds and return the same way. Do 15 of these, I guarantee by 15 you'll be saying, "Wow, this is worse then I thought").
Next give yourself 3 minutes to rest, and off to the frog jump. Using that same distance, do a frog jump from one end to the other, AS FAST AS YOU CAN. no stopping for breath, just push through it. for a frog jump, you squat until your hands touch the grass, and explode forward and up as far as you can, repeat. do 5, 30 yard lengths of these.
Another 3 minutes.
next is side shuffle. Also same 30 yards, position yourself facing 90 degrees from the end of your 30 yard line, taking long strides put your forward leg out and "skip" sideways, never crossing feet, always bringing your back leg towards your front. Don't cheat, do this fast, keep your *kitten* down, center of gravity low and knees bent. Do 10 of these.
3 minutes rest again
Jumping jacks. If you have a watch, do 3 minutes of these, AS FAST AS YOU CAN, you will start to slow down probably, this is rough on the thighs, but keep going, don't stop even if you pace is nill by the end.
3 minutes rest
forward crab crawl. Same 30 yard distance, get on your hands and balls of your feet with your butt up high, crawl to the end as fast as you can, 30 seconds rest at the end, return do 10 of these.
By now you should be very winded, you should be at about 35 minutes by now.
3 minutes rest.
Pushups for 1 minute, don't stop for the whole minute, even if you have to slow down, never take your body out of a start position, never rise up to your knees, even if you can't complete another one,stay at the start position until you collapse or the 1 minute is up.
2 minutes rest. You should have enough wind back to do your final lung buster.
another 15 wind sprints
DON'T LET UP NOW, ALMOST DONE
Do these as hard as you can. don't take a break, you should be dizzy with fatigue by now. Don't stop, this is the point where your body actually starts to make it's changes! Push through the fatigue, really tell yourself, this is where it counts!
take a 3 minute break, put your arms over your head to recover your wind.
Do a 5 minute jog to cool down.

NOTE: this routine is easilly modefied to indoor settings (Like a gym) where space is limited, to do so, simply replace straight sprints with monsters (see below for what a monster is), and any other distance routine with a similar strategy of multiple repititions.

Monster is: Mark off a 1/2 way point (or 1/3, 2/3 if you want to really push it hard) run as hard as you can to the mark, touch the floor at the mark and run back, touch your starting line and run all the way to the end, touch again, and all the way back. A good distance is 10 yards 1/2 way I realize that 60 yards total, but the stopping to touch makes it not quite as intense as a regular sprint.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I posted a routine I made up that was based on my years as a high school and college football(US football, not soccer) and rugby player. Little did I know it was all just an advanced derivative of the now widely popular HIIT training type (High Intensity Interval Training). Which fatigues muscles to anaerobic burn. This triggers the release of hormones which stimulate fat burn and suppress cortisol release (Testosterone and HGH among others).

You can see the article about it recently in OnFitness magazine (Issue 26) where they talk about HIIT training in the EPOC article. You can also get the basics on HIIT training here:
    http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

anyway, here is my posted routine. Feel free to take it and use it. It is modefied for a more advanced athlete (I go for an hour about 2 times a week), but you can cut it down in half and still get amazing results if you are willing to do the work (it really kicks your *kitten* the first time you do it!)

*****WARNING***** This is an advanced routine, if you have back, heart or respitory problems don't attempt this without first consulting your doctor or a trainer.
    This isn't complicated or magical it's quite simple actually. Block out an hour of your day, that's all you need is 1 hour (your heartrate will hit 90% for a good 30 to 45 minutes of this so don't worry about calorie burn, you'll burn 7 to 800 easy probably closer to 1000).
    Find a park or open field with flat grass, watch out for rough patches that can turn an ankle.
    First do an opening 5 minute jog around, you should make this brisk, not just a warm up, but faster, try to get your heart rate up to about 70% max.
    Next start with wind sprints, we will start with reps of 15. Count 30 yards, 30 strides should do, call it 32 or 33 for shorter people. mark them with something (I just make a mark in the grass with my heel)
    Sprint as fast as you can, pushing yourself as hard as possible through the end of the sprint, give yourself 30 seconds and return the same way. Do 15 of these, I guarantee by 15 you'll be saying, "Wow, this is worse then I thought").
    Next give yourself 3 minutes to rest, and off to the frog jump. Using that same distance, do a frog jump from one end to the other, AS FAST AS YOU CAN. no stopping for breath, just push through it. for a frog jump, you squat until your hands touch the grass, and explode forward and up as far as you can, repeat. do 5, 30 yard lengths of these.
    Another 3 minutes.
    next is side shuffle. Also same 30 yards, position yourself facing 90 degrees from the end of your 30 yard line, taking long strides put your forward leg out and "skip" sideways, never crossing feet, always bringing your back leg towards your front. Don't cheat, do this fast, keep your *kitten* down, center of gravity low and knees bent. Do 10 of these.
    3 minutes rest again
    Jumping jacks. If you have a watch, do 3 minutes of these, AS FAST AS YOU CAN, you will start to slow down probably, this is rough on the thighs, but keep going, don't stop even if you pace is nill by the end.
    3 minutes rest
    forward crab crawl. Same 30 yard distance, get on your hands and balls of your feet with your butt up high, crawl to the end as fast as you can, 30 seconds rest at the end, return do 10 of these.
    By now you should be very winded, you should be at about 35 minutes by now.
    3 minutes rest.
    Pushups for 1 minute, don't stop for the whole minute, even if you have to slow down, never take your body out of a start position, never rise up to your knees, even if you can't complete another one,stay at the start position until you collapse or the 1 minute is up.
    2 minutes rest. You should have enough wind back to do your final lung buster.
    another 15 wind sprints
    DON'T LET UP NOW, ALMOST DONE
    Do these as hard as you can. don't take a break, you should be dizzy with fatigue by now. Don't stop, this is the point where your body actually starts to make it's changes! Push through the fatigue, really tell yourself, this is where it counts!
    take a 3 minute break, put your arms over your head to recover your wind.
    Do a 5 minute jog to cool down.

NOTE: this routine is easilly modefied to indoor settings (Like a gym) where space is limited, to do so, simply replace straight sprints with monsters (see below for what a monster is), and any other distance routine with a similar strategy of multiple repititions.

Monster is: Mark off a 1/2 way point (or 1/3, 2/3 if you want to really push it hard) run as hard as you can to the mark, touch the floor at the mark and run back, touch your starting line and run all the way to the end, touch again, and all the way back. A good distance is 10 yards 1/2 way I realize that 60 yards total, but the stopping to touch makes it not quite as intense as a regular sprint.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Bump for use later! :flowerforyou:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit stupid but I'm not understanding what I'm supposed to do here:

"Another 3 minutes.
    next is side shuffle. Also same 30 yards, position yourself facing 90 degrees from the end of your 30 yard line, taking long strides put your forward leg out and "skip" sideways, never crossing feet, always bringing your back leg towards your front. Don't cheat, do this fast, keep your *kitten* down, center of gravity low and knees bent. Do 10 of these."

What the heck???

My mental image is all confused. Do you perhaps have some kind of visual representation of this one because the written description is confusing the heck out of me.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options

"Another 3 minutes.
    next is side shuffle. Also same 30 yards, position yourself facing 90 degrees from the end of your 30 yard line, taking long strides put your forward leg out and "skip" sideways, never crossing feet, always bringing your back leg towards your front. Don't cheat, do this fast, keep your *kitten* down, center of gravity low and knees bent. Do 10 of these."

What the heck???

My mental image is all confused. Do you perhaps have some kind of visual representation of this one because the written description is confusing the heck out of me.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/37793_youth-sports-training-side-shuffle.htm
    (It's the first one they show in that video) :flowerforyou:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    Alright Banks, I printed you up..... I feel a heart attack coming on!
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    I know this isn't exactly, but the Plyo routine in P90X is also close to this in intensity and can be done in your living room.

You can also do routines that incorporate this concept on treadmills and stationary bikes.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

"Another 3 minutes.

What the heck???

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/37793_youth-sports-training-side-shuffle.htm
    (It's the first one they show in that video) :flowerforyou:

Thank you thank you! That was WAY less complicated then my brain was conjuring. hahahaha.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Alright Banks, I printed you up..... I feel a heart attack coming on!

Please don't! And be careful, make sure if you feel dizzy or faint that you stop and make sure your ok! Cuz you probably will a few times (I do all the time, the key take your full rest periods, and extend them if you still feel out of breath at the end of one).

But the first few times you want to make sure it's just you going into your anaerobic zone, and not something more serious!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I love the challenge....and believe me...I'll rest!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Okie doke then. Have at it Haws. :tongue:
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    Double post...:grumble:
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    were you in the military? We used to do this stuff in Basic, right after grass drills. Man you are evil. I am bookmarking this for the spring...