Low Carbs + High Protein = Worth It?

Options
I was looking around, using 'search', but maybe I wasn't typing in the right keywords. I am doing meal replacements twice a day and am incorporating one meal a day with high protein [trying to] and a snack or two. My question is, do you really find it effective to stay low carb with high protein? I do realize my shakes are not carb free, but I am laying off the breads. I am trying to eat at least one serving of fruit and plenty of veggies daily. I am trying to lose the weight mainly and then I plan to stick with one shake to maintain--when I get to that stage. Do you think I am setting myself up for failure? How can I improve?

If you look at my diary, you will notice I have a week empty. I wasn't able to use a computer during that time. Don't hold that against me, please. It would look almost identical to any other day.

Replies

• pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Whatever works for you is worth it.
    Personally I get pissed off if I don't eat enough carbs and I am awful to be around.
    I find that as long as I am under calories after my workout I lose weight steadily.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Low carb is pointless. Been there, done that.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Your body needs carbs, like it needs everything else.

All you need to know about carbs and what they do for you: http://www.helpwithcooking.com/nutrition-information/carbohydrates.html
  • essjay75
    essjay75 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Done it-unless I'm living in a cave, it doesn't work for me. Can't concentrate, irritable, no energy for workouts.....all that stuff 'they' say is true for me. I've stopped 'refined' carbs...or 'white' carbs...
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    low carb works great for some , not so much for others, give it a try see how you like it, see how it works for you.

and no it is not pointless to those that respond to it
  • aingersoll07
    aingersoll07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have had alot of success of low carb/high protein diets. Especially South Beach. Sometimes it's important to add some in during the day for energy. I get very tired if i don't have them at all. But limiting them has always worked for me, especially around my core!
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    I've found I can lose weight on high carb or low carb but I find I have less issues with cravings and eat less if I follow a LC plan. I figured it out by tracking my intake and experimenting with different approaches. You really need to find what works for you.

@mrsgomez19, perhaps LC was pointless for you, doesn't mean it is for the OP or others.
  • SunnyDelight275
    SunnyDelight275 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on how sensitive you are to carbs. I know that my body does not react well to starchy carbs and sends my insulin level spiking. I am on a high protein-low carb diet and have been successful in the past (prior to getting on this site). I used to actually eat like a body-builder prior to competition (extreme low carb, high protein, low fat, no sugar) but found it to be impossible to maintain. Now my rule of thumb is high protein, low carb, low sugar, low saturated fat, NO processed food. It's a work in process in order to figure out what my body responds to. Cutting out processed food helps a lot. If I were you, I would monitor my progress every two weeks. Record how your body feels, what your mood is like, how hard you can workout, etc.) If you find that something doesn't work, tweak it.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    Done it-unless I'm living in a cave, it doesn't work for me. Can't concentrate, irritable, no energy for workouts.....all that stuff 'they' say is true for me. I've stopped 'refined' carbs...or 'white' carbs...

I found the same thing for the first week or two, then I felt better and have been primarily LC for 10 months. It doesn't work for everyone, some people seem to require more carbs to feel good, but you also need to give it some time. When I switch back to eating more carbs I don't feel any better and I find a bunch of gastrointestinal issues return. That is just my n=1 experience.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If you're sensitive to carbs or have medical issues affected by them, it's worth it. For the average person, it doesn't much matter.

I aim to get more than 100g of protein a day, but I never limit my carbs. Even the refined white ones that are supposed to be so bad. (Garlic bread and potatoes with dinner tonight! :drinker: )

I'm not a fan of meal replacements. I love eating too much to be satisfied with a shake. Plus, there was a time in my life when I had to have them (jaw problems) and the thought of downing a shake now sets off my gag reflex.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing (working out) and what your goals are. I know that sounds generic, but before you try something like this, can you answer the "why"? Are you replacing 2 out of 6 meals? Or 2 out of 3?

If 2 out of 6, then okay, but 2 out of 3 meals as your shakes is NO bueno. Shakes are supplements, not replacements (unless you're anorexic and they're trying really hard to put some calories in you).
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing (working out) and what your goals are. I know that sounds generic, but before you try something like this, can you answer the "why"? Are you replacing 2 out of 6 meals? Or 2 out of 3?

If 2 out of 6, then okay, but 2 out of 3 meals as your shakes is NO bueno. Shakes are supplements, not replacements (unless you're anorexic and they're trying really hard to put some calories in you).

I have different snacks [2-3] throughout the day [not sure what some people consider a snack anymore]. I am at the point that I am not very hungry, so I am making myself eat something. I am not anorexic by any means, but it's the best I can do right now. I haven't lost that much weight recently, but it's like my stomach as shrunk. I am not taking any pills to reduce my appetite, but it seems as if these shakes are doing that on its own. I could be wrong.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I find low carb, medium protein, high fat, works far better.

If you are not eating carbs or fat, you are not going to have a ready source of energy.

Almost every low carb diet replaces carb calories with fat.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I focus on maintaining a caloric deficit and hitting my protein and fat goals and fill in the rest with carbs. I've seen steady losses and my energy levels are solid.
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    It depends on you, dear. If you really want to try lc, cut out all carbs that come from sugar and refined products like white flour. See how you feel. If you want, go from there and cut wheat. Many people have sensitivities to wheat that cause them to hold weight.

I do primal/paleo, and it's great. The food is wholesome and filling (no cups of bacon grease or steak every night at dinner, but tons of healthy protien and colorful veggies and fruits.)

And LC does not mean NO carbs. Yes, we need carbs. But we need them from the right sources. Oh, and btw, if you aren't getting enough carbs, your body actually MAKES them (up to point, what you need for healthy brain function. After all, how would we have survived as a race in a world where grains and legumes were not readily available??) I keep it between 50 and 100 g most days.

And I'm finally losing again. But I am eating no sugar or artificial sweetners, no low fat products, nothing that's been messed with. I eat real food.

Best of luck to you. I hope you have great successes!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    It might work for you, you'll have to experiment. When I keep my carbs under 70-100 or so I do become irritable at times, and have too much energy - I only slept 4-6 hours a night. I've always eaten a very high fat diet and don't restrict calories, and I did feel pretty well other than that, but I lost weight too quickly. I'm pretty small and can't afford the loss. Of course I had to run to the doctor and make sure I wasn't insulin resistant. I'm not, but the weight loss really scared me. :embarassed:

Your stomach is probably smaller due to it, I lose a couple pounds of water weight every time my carbs get low, perfectly normal but it doesn't continue or equate to fat loss. Which is fine if I'm 2 days away from wearing a bikini at the beach but it just didn't work as a healthy diet for me.

Oh, personally I'm not big on shakes or meal replacements, but that's just me.
    Good luck finding out what works well for you. :smile:
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    honestly, I would be less concerned with your carb intake (although it still matters somewhat) and more focused on getting a lot of protein. Protein will give you a fuller feeling, which will help you with any cravings and keep you from eating out of habit instead of hunger. If you're getting 100g or more of protein each day, you probably won't be wanting as many carbs. At least that's been my experience :) Play around with it, see what works for you!
  • ImNotStarving
    Options
    I have also had success with low carb/high fat... I'm still figuring it all out, but I'm steadily losing weight and I feel 100 times better than I did losing it the low calorie/low fat way. That's just me though... and I do what works for me :) The hardest part for me was the first week... after that, I started feeling better than ever.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have also had success with low carb/high fat... I'm still figuring it all out, but I'm steadily losing weight and I feel 100 times better than I did losing it the low calorie/low fat way. That's just me though... and I do what works for me :) The hardest part for me was the first week... after that, I started feeling better than ever.

What exactly are you eating for the high fat deal? How much fat do you consume?
  • auctoritas
    Options

What exactly are you eating for the high fat deal? How much fat do you consume?

I'm also on a vlc high fat/moderate protein diet. I aim to consume 60-70% of my daily allotment as fat, 25-30% protein, and under 20g carbs/day. Some of my fat comes in the form of coconut oil (which I'm lax about logging lol), olive oil, and animal fats in the form of heavy whipping cream (lowest in carbs), butter, cheese, bacon grease, and cheap, fatty cuts of meat.

I feel a lot better than I did before, for sure, and the weight keeps coming off. I'm not losing at some of the crazy speeds I've seen other people at, but a steady clip of 1.5-2lbs/week, which is good enough for me. It's still a caloric deficit thing, of course, but the high fat/moderate protein curbs hunger really well, so rather than being ravenous before mealtimes, I eat maybe twice a day and am usually sated for quite a long time.

I don't like the idea of high protein diets because they still tend to limit fats, and the body needs fat for energy if it doesn't have carbs.