Dorm Recipes

Options
I'm 36 yrs old, so I dont actually live in a dorm, but I made a choice to really downsize my life recently and moved from a 1200 square foot house to a 12X13 guest room (I have a seperate entrance and my own tiny bedroom). I dont have a stove or oven, but I do have a medium-sized fridge, a microwave and a hot plate. What are some good, easy things for someone like me to fix? I really like recipes that make 4-5 servings, so I can tupperware left overs and eat on them through the week.

Replies

• 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I love making healthy tuna salad. I use chunk light tuna, plain fat free greek yogurt, peas, chopped up carrots, dill pickle relish, mustard and some season salt and garlic salt. It would also be good with onions, peppers, celery, etc, and it has very few calories. You could do the same thing with chicken or egg salad. Put it on some whole wheat pita or a bed of lettuce.
    As far as hot meals go, I don't know. I'm pretty sure there are recipes out there for microwave lasagne, and you could probably health-ify them. I'm not sure about the hot plate, I've never used one.
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    Also, Oatmeal!! Very versatile, healthy, cheap and microwaveable.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    If you can have them get a water boiler, foreman grill and toaster oven. These items, in addition to the microwave and fridge, will open up the food possibilities. You ought to be able to get all of them under $100, esp if you can find a durable used product.

With that said, here are some things I made back in my dorm days:

Toaster oven personal pizzas, pasta, toaster oven baked chicken, foreman grill steak, foreman grill burgers, hot plate home fries, etc. My apologies for not having the healthiest of choices, but if you can make a personal sized option of the foods you already eat, you shouldn't need to turn to microwave dinners and ramen.