Spinning Class

Options
Anyone every go to a spin class? I want to go but I'm afraid I might die there. HA HA.

Replies

• onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Anyone every go to a spin class? I want to go but I'm afraid I might die there. HA HA.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! I do that when it's too cold to run or I need a little rest.
    The great thing about spinning is that you can adjust the resistance to wherever you need it, and if you feel uncomfortable you can always take a seat and pedal at whatever pace you need.
  • deedun
    deedun Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I totally forgot that my local gym offers these classes :ohwell:

Just looked at the timetable and there is on at 10am tomorrow morn which I am sooo going!!

Onmywaytoskinny, try them out. The first class is always the hardest and just think of all those extra calories you will make!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I agree with songbyrdsweet. Spinning classes are what you make of them. You are in control of your resistance so if you are way too tired to turn it up a notch then don't. I was nervous too, but once I finally went...I loved it. Go a few minutes early that way the instructor can show you how to set the bike up!
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm just afraid that I am still way to heavy to start it
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

I feel that way too
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

It's not a high impact exercise. You can remain seated the entire time, so it's not going to stress your joints. Everyone has to start somewhere. Don't let your weight prevent you from trying. :smile:
  • gone2gym2befit
    Options
    You will have to try it to find out if you like it. . .so you've got to go at least once to know. Make sure you check with your doctor before starting though to make sure you've got the okay to start. You can definitely go your own pace throughout the class so no worries. Let the instructor know you are new to the class before starting too. Check with your gym personnel and find out which classes and which instructors might be more your speed as a beginner. Have fun!!!
  • Nery09
    Nery09 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, We have this class at our gym, and I tried it once. It's not for me. I have muscular legs, and for some reason I believe this will tone them even more. I cannot speak for you, and perhaps you should try it.
  • chelle0915
    Options
    Hello there! I am a spinning instructor and I want to encourage you to try a class! It can be easy or it can be hard. You choose the resistance and position.

You should try to get a bike seat because it causes a LOT of pressure on your pelvic bones. That goes away the more you try it however I will be honest that it does hurt the first time or two. It gets better.

Lastly I wanted to clear up the myth of cycling and bulking up. Cycling actually slims the butt, thighs and hips. You would have to be at your ideal weight, cycle every day at a HIGH resistance and then have a diet high in protein low in carbs....

Give it a try and keep an open mind. Most people hate it the first time or two however the more you go the more you will love it! Plus the result are fantastic!

Blessings!
    Chelle
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have just started the spin class second class completed and through both i thought i was gonna die and just wanted to walk out but i havent and actually feel great when i leave and thinking of all the calories im burning and getting healthier is enough to make me continue. You can go at your own pace its a struggle for everyone, but have to do whats right for you. I say give it a few times im 251 and i have no problems doing it... Good luck!
  • Scoobs
    Options
    I take 3 spin classes a week. Monday morning 5:15am is a beginner class that I take to get my week started. Tues and Thurs at 5:10am is an advanced class! I love it! Have been spinning for 5 years. Take it easy at first and build up. The class instructor will guide you! Make sure you either have or can borrow a gel seat or your seat will feel it by the end of class. Enjoy!:bigsmile:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I went this morning...after a 17 mile hilly bike ride yesterday afternoon and it KICKED my butt. My legs were just weak today. I am glad I went though.. burned 650 calories in an hour!
  • zano2008
    zano2008 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Spin Class is great, you can burn a lot calories, its a group event so you can stay motivated, and its been easy on my knees. Good Luck!
    132398.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • zano2008
    zano2008 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Spin Class is great, you can burn a lot calories, its a group event so you can stay motivated, and its been easy on my knees. Good Luck!
    132398.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • deamarie
    Options
    I am also an instructor and would highly encourage you to talk to the instructor first. Make sure you understand how to set your bike up or you can put a lot of stress on your joints. There is a guy who comes to my classes regularly that began spin at 290+ pounds. It can be done but you have to be very careful. Your butt WILL hurt...It happens to everyone. I always say give the class at least 3-4 tries.....Then make your decision.

If you are still too intimidated, try starting off on a recumbent bike (your body is more horizontal than vertical). Get your body used to the movements and then move up to the spin class.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Love it!

I highly recommend giving it a try. :flowerforyou: