Feels like cheating!!

Options
i haven't been eating my exercise calories, but since my weight loss has slowed (and everyone on here says your should) I have started eating them! After being the same weight for a week i lost 1lb in only two days! So, I know that i'm doing the right thing by eating them.

So, heres the problem....I FEEL SO GUILTY!!! :grumble: Every time my calorie count goes over 1,200 i feel like I have cheated! Even though I know I am being healthy and that I am still losing weight (more weight, actually) Ijust feel bad about it!

Did anyone else have a hard time when they started eating the exercise calories? I understand the how and why of eating them...but I still feel bad about it!

Replies

• MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i haven't been eating my exercise calories, but since my weight loss has slowed (and everyone on here says your should) I have started eating them! After being the same weight for a week i lost 1lb in only two days! So, I know that i'm doing the right thing by eating them.

So, heres the problem....I FEEL SO GUILTY!!! :grumble: Every time my calorie count goes over 1,200 i feel like I have cheated! Even though I know I am being healthy and that I am still losing weight (more weight, actually) Ijust feel bad about it!

Did anyone else have a hard time when they started eating the exercise calories? I understand the how and why of eating them...but I still feel bad about it!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! In my head I still think I am over and feel horrible if I get past that 1200 mark. I know that you should eat them though, or get as close as you can. I have been trying to think more along the lines of calories in vs calories out.

My dietician said that in her training they taught her that there should be about a 500 calorie defecit from what your body uses to what you eat for anyone trying to lose weight, anything more puts your body into starvation mode therefore your body holds onto everything that you eat. Makes sense though not everything she told me was completely accurate.

You are not alone though! We need to get past the number and do whats best for our bodies.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Just look at it this way...you feel bad about eating your exercise calories because it goes against everything you have been taught before. BUT, everything you have been taught has lead you to this site looking for a lifestyle change. So, if you look at it that way, you should only do things that do go against what you have been taught! :tongue: Don't worry, that guilty feeling will go away as soon as you have to buy the first pair of new jeans because the ones you have now are too big!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it might help to keep in mind that MFP has in place a calorie deficit based on what you want to lose per week. For a lb. I believe it's 500 cals for 2 lb. loss per week it's 1000. So you really aren't cheating as it's food that you need to continue to nourish your body after exercise.:flowerforyou:

You definitely don't want to go below 1200!:noway:

FC:heart: