ice what?

Options
It's winter here in good ol Alberta, Canada and the other night it rained. The result is the streets and sidewalks are pure ice. You could literally skate on them. So I went out with my metal ice pick and went at my sidewalks for 45 minutes as I don't want the public or myself to injure themselves.

How would you log that? It's def not the the same as snow shoveling at all in terms of muscles/movement used.

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    It's winter here in good ol Alberta, Canada and the other night it rained. The result is the streets and sidewalks are pure ice. You could literally skate on them. So I went out with my metal ice pick and went at my sidewalks for 45 minutes as I don't want the public or myself to injure themselves.

How would you log that? It's def not the the same as snow shoveling at all in terms of muscles/movement used.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Greetings from Anchorage, Alaska...and I did just that this past week as well. Honestly though, I didn't log it. I don't have a heart rate monitor so there's no way I could figure out how many calories I was burning. I just decided if I went a little over on food that day that it was covered. It was definitely hard work...much harder than shoveling, which I do all the time. So yeah, I have no idea.:embarassed:
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    ugh seriously, so much harder than just shoveling. the ice was so thick and hard. that rain was so random at the end of january.

i ended up adding it as low impact aerobics. i dont intend to eat the calories back for it, but it's nice to know i'm covered since my boyfriend did make cookies this afternoon and wrapped up a small one especially for me.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I looked up shoveling snow on another website (I just googled "calories burned shoveling snow") and tailored the calories to something comparable here on MFP.

I'm 25, 5'6", and 160 lbs. I chopped ice for 30 minutes and logged it as 140 calories. I was definitely sweating and breathing hard.

We got a TON of ice here in Kentucky. I feel your pain!

photo.jpg?t=1233531373
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    I looked up shoveling snow on another website (I just googled "calories burned shoveling snow") and tailored the calories to something comparable here on MFP.

I'm 25, 5'6", and 160 lbs. I chopped ice for 30 minutes and logged it as 140 calories. I was definitely sweating and breathing hard.

We got a TON of ice here in Kentucky. I feel your pain!

photo.jpg?t=1233531373

awesome pic and thanks for the suggestion!
  • Chele615
    Chele615 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm from Boston and we just did that yesterday too!!! The street is still a sheet of ice!