HELP! MY NERVE ENDINGS IN MY STOMACH ARE BEGGING

Options
Hi everyone. This is my first week dieting, I mean lifestyle change. Today has been really tough, I must be going through detox just like a drug addict. I thought about it today. I have a food addiction! Not only is my stomach aching for food, but my mind is telling me you have to eat something! Why are you putting yourself through this! EAT! EAT! EAT!
I am under the assumption, just like a drug addict you have to go through the motions for a certain period where your body becomes acclimated. But what I want to know is how long?
I have been thinking about food ALL DAY LONG! Yes, I tried reading a book, soak in the tub, clean out my closet. I am going CRAZY! Any advice out there?

Replies

• wannabeflaca
    Options
    Hi everyone. This is my first week dieting, I mean lifestyle change. Today has been really tough, I must be going through detox just like a drug addict. I thought about it today. I have a food addiction! Not only is my stomach aching for food, but my mind is telling me you have to eat something! Why are you putting yourself through this! EAT! EAT! EAT!
    I am under the assumption, just like a drug addict you have to go through the motions for a certain period where your body becomes acclimated. But what I want to know is how long?
    I have been thinking about food ALL DAY LONG! Yes, I tried reading a book, soak in the tub, clean out my closet. I am going CRAZY! Any advice out there?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    What are you eating now?

I eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day so I'm never hungry & my body is always burning. :smile: You're not on a "diet" here, you're learning a new way to eat/live. :smile:

Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Oh yeah, drink your water! :drinker: :laugh:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

I can't say that I've ever had a really hungry day like you're having, and I've been with MFP since last April. I don't know what you're eating, but maybe you need more fiber and protein to help fill you up. Drink lots and lots of water too, it REALLY helps! :smile:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    So eat - just eat healthy! I eat every couple of hours and the first couple of weeks, I kept cut up celery and carrots and apple on hand (I need crunchy) - then as I educated myself, I added things - like certain cheeses and different fruits, and dark chocolate and baked chips and all sorts of nuts. I sort snacks into snack baggies with a half serving per bag - that way, if I'm satisfied after the half serving, great. But if not, I can have another bag no harm.

Drink Drink Drink your water!!! It will help satisfy your body - it's crazy how well it works.

You can do this - there are lots of great ideas on this site to help you in your transition to being fit. Don't listen to your stomach - it's just bored right now - listen to your head. You KNOW what you need to do... and you can totally do it.

We're all right here, cheering you on!!!!
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    As a former weight loss counselor - and current lifestyle changer, let me reassure you that what you are going through is totally normal. So much of our lives are connected to eating - socializing, emotions, taking breaks, even going to work - so why shouldn't you experience some form of withdrawal?

If I can make a suggestion or two that worked for me....

It sounds like this is more mental hunger rather than physical hunger. Remember that nobody EVER gained weight eating vegetables. I know that they add calories, but they are the good kind and completely safe (I promise)...so when you feel the need to eat - induldge in making something veggie related. Experiment with making your own foods, such as salsa (without the oil), make it spicy - make it lumpy, make it so you can dip veggies into it's tomatoey goodness. Make some ice cubes out of sodium free, calorie free, sugar free drinks (Diet lime Diet Rite is great, some of the sparkling waters are also good). Then make yourself some slushies.

What I am getting at is involve food in this process you are going through rather than rejecting the food entirely. Veggies, veggies, veggies.

Also, all those things you have been trying are pretty relaxing (well, except for cleaning out your closet), and it's easy to think about food when you are doing things that are relaxing) - so if I may suggest getting out and walking - get an aerobics tape - do some squats - do some crunches....

Everyone has a moment that brought them to the point where they wanted to lose weight...mine is when I saw a photograph of myself (ugh!)...so I leave that photograph on my refrigerator and one in my mirror in the bathroom. Remember what your thing was and write it down. Write down how you felt when the event happend.

Finally, remember that this process is about baby steps (how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time).....do not be too hard on yourself. You CAN do this, one bite at a time.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water! Also, hot tea helps make you feel full! Frequent small meals also help. I get 1200 cals a day I eat about 300 cals per meal and 3 snacks with 100 cals a piece. That way I stay full - in fact, i feel like I am always eating...so I don't miss out on much! One of the things I really crave on a "diet" is pasta and cheese...so I get lean frozen meals with those inthem!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I would say you need to eat.

The only time I had serious stomach pains was when I crashed dieted 1200 calories or less.

In the 2 years that I have taken off 70 lbs I have never once felt like I was starving. I would guess to say that if you are that hungry then you need to eat.

Try vegetables, water, lemon water, high fiber toast.

I am also a food addict, but like I said before only had the issue when I was really "Dieting" and not eating healthy.
  • wannabeflaca
    Options
    Thank God for this website! And thank you for all of your responses! I have to say, I am eating 1,200 calories a day and attempt to do 1 hour of aerobic activity. Your ideas will help me with my new lifestyle. Eating every 2-3 hours a day I will try tomorrow after I go grocery shopping to get all my veggies. That was a great idea using salsa as a dip with veggies. I do have to get used to eating more vegetables.
    Going from eating about 2,500-3,000 calories to 1,200 is taking a shock to my system. Thanks again everyone!