Do you wear shoes during indoor workout DVDs?

Options
I just realised that i haven't been wearing any shoes at all while doing the 30DS. At first i had a bit of leg pain but it seems to have gone away. I also am working on on a hard laminate surface, not carpet. I think it probably changes the way i do jumping jacks and stuff too - being more up on my toes than flat on my feet.

Out of interest do other people do this too or do most people wear shoes? Is there any benefit one way or another. What about those minimalist running shoes or are they really only for running?

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I don't, but then again... I normally work out on carpet.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I do - I have tiled floors.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I usually don't...but I'm on carpet...
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    depends on the workout...but if it involves legs...or jumping or anything...yes i do...SUPPORT
  • lolollama
    Options
    I always wear shoes when doing workout DVDs at home. I have tiles and I find that I have problems with my shins and feet if I don't wear them.
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes always have tennis shoes on....
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    depends on the dvd though i do have carpet - so for jumping type workouts i wear shoes for support for dance type i go barefoot
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do! I have really high arches and my feet are really thin and bony. If I don't wear shoes, it hurts!
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    i usually dont- but im on carpet
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I don't wear shoes because I am on carpet and it is dance moves.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I always do. I work out on a mat on concrete though.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS wear shoes it's really bad for you to workout without them due to the lack of support!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I dont wear shoes 90% of the time, I feel better without them. unless I am doing a workout with alot of jumping/plyometrics. With 30DS I do not wear shoes but I do with some p90x (plyo) workouts!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to find mixed philosophies, some people will tell you you NEED shoes, others will tell you that God/nature made your foot just fine, and humans have been using very little/if any shoe support for millinea living much more active lives than many of us.
    I personally am the latter, but think people should do whatever works for them. I never wear shoes (or socks) during the 30DS, on carpet, and that's the only video I've done in volume. I run in Vibram 5 fingers now, and wear cross-train type shoes to other fitness classes (at my gym, where it would be awkward if not disallowed to be barefoot, like spin classes), and of course no shoes or socks for yoga. But I'm a barefoot person, anyway, I'd never wear shoes if I could get away with it.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I wear cross trainers.

30DS is high impact exercise. You would be setting yourself up for injury if you continued to do high impact workouts without good support. With low impact exercise, such as Yoga or Pilates, you don't need shoes.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Huh, never even occurred to me NOT to wear shoes unless it was a stretch/pilates DVD.
  • NeverQuit222
    Options
    i think if you dont wear shoes you'll be ok, i did insanity barefoot the first time i tried it and nothing happened. i wear shoes now only cause i think its a little more comfortable
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I do. Hardwood floors.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I always wear shoes when working out at home. Not sure why...just do.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I've been working out to Power 90 and now P90X with no shoes ever. I live in an apartment on the second floor and work out on carpet. Just quieter that way and I guess I have strong ankles.