-sigh- no support

Options
mrsmammahunter
mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
I think my husband has an addiction he always wants me to make junk food like fried chicken, big breakfasts, and always tries to get me to agree to eat out. He knows how important it is to me to better myself and be healthy I constantly tell him exercise isn't enough to tone up you need to eat well. I'm not forcing him to follow me in my quest to be healthier but jeeze he rants and raves about milk shakes and how funny it would be to come home with McDonalds since I can't eat it. I realize communication is a key to a marriage but I HAVE told him I think hes being insensitive and to support me in this and hes not making it easy. He then replies that hes just joking and he is sorry.... 2 hours later he does it again. Then he goes on to say I don't need to loose weight anyway and I am sexy, I don't want to loose weight for him or because I don't think I'm sexy. I want to loose weight for myself, to be healthy and be the best I can be and he thinks thats stupid. How can I get my husband to understand?

Replies

• musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, from what I have heard from others and from personal experience, it seems as though men get very insecure when their girls want to lose weight. They feel like when they "look better/feel better" they will want to go and find someone equally as healthy. Maybe find a way to reassure him that you are in it for the long run! Or find a fun activity you can do together to show him that you are not doing it for him, but for you, and that it can be a very fun journey! since you have already talked to him about how it makes you feel, sounds like now he needs a visual! Turn on the waterworks!! LOL If he sees how much it hurts you and that you feel no support from him, he could make a total 180! Good luck and I hope things get better :)
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You will cook breakfast- holy smokes, you must be an Angel! I am lucky to get one meal, LOL

I think you just need to eat they way you feel is right, no one can force feed you ! After a while it might even catch on!
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Maybe it will just take you to keep to your routine. Keep working out, keep refusing to go out to eat fast food, refuse junk food or refuse to make the high fat food at home. There is a great website called 100 days of real food. It has started me getting my family eating healthier without me going overboard on a "health kick". We still have chicken nuggets, it's just home made ones cooked in olive oil. It sounds to me like maybe he is a bit jealous. Maybe he's worried about how this will change your relationship, or how he will have to change. It's just a thought though. Feel free to add me as a friend to help support you until he decides to get on board with you being healthier.
  • crazygirl78
    Options
    It sounds to me like you need to learn to ignore it when people, including your family, try to get to you. If he sees he isn't getting to you and you are determined to do this for yourself, he'll probably back off. ( I speak from experience!)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's feeling a bit insecure about himself.
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    You will cook breakfast- holy smokes, you must be an Angel! I am lucky to get one meal, LOL

I think you just need to eat they way you feel is right, no one can force feed you ! After a while it might even catch on!

I spoil my husband , I am kind of old fashioned I feel that it's my job as a wife to cook and clean for my family. Don't get me wrong by all means I appreciate and never say no to help! But i enjoy cooking for my man and usually cook twice a day at least. But no, im not an angel by any means haha
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice your all right it'll just take time and patience, I've been trying to bite my tongue because I don't want to start a fight but I shall endure and focus on what I'm doing. I just wish hed stip b*tching ugh
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    It sounds to me like you need to learn to ignore it when people, including your family, try to get to you. If he sees he isn't getting to you and you are determined to do this for yourself, he'll probably back off. ( I speak from experience!)

Oh i know it and im usually a champ at ignoring it but damn he goes on and on and hes not doing it on purpose or being spiteful so im trying not to get upset with him..
  • jessbennett1986
    Options

You poor poor man!! I always cook at LEAST one meal a day! I would be a Godsend to you!! LOL!

My husband is the same way. It really irks me how unhealthy he eats all the time. But it's his body. We are all one for ourselves and must take our own lives into our hands. It makes it more difficult when your sig other doesn't agree with you or eat like you, but it isn't impossible to get healthy. Just another obstacle. You can do it!!!
  • Kayraysmommy2209
    Options
    Sometimes, from what I have heard from others and from personal experience, it seems as though men get very insecure when their girls want to lose weight. They feel like when they "look better/feel better" they will want to go and find someone equally as healthy. Maybe find a way to reassure him that you are in it for the long run! Or find a fun activity you can do together to show him that you are not doing it for him, but for you, and that it can be a very fun journey! since you have already talked to him about how it makes you feel, sounds like now he needs a visual! Turn on the waterworks!! LOL If he sees how much it hurts you and that you feel no support from him, he could make a total 180! Good luck and I hope things get better :)

I agree here, when I told my husband I was trying to lose weight, he started to get insecure about it and he started telling me I didn't need to, that I was beautiful and perfect the way I am. I told him it has has nothing to do with me not being beautiful as he puts it. I want to be healthy. We have two girls and when he comes home he is always out playing with them (he's a truck driver) and wants me to but I'm always too tired and have no energy to play with them. He wants to go places when he is home and I always get tired and want to sit down. So the moral of this story is when he started telling me all this, that I'm beautiful, perfect the way I am, don't need to lose, mocking the fact that I am counting calories, I reminded him of all the times he got upset because I didn't have the energy to play with the kids, that I never have the energy to go out for a long period of time, and told him all the good things that will come out of me losing the weight and he started getting it. Now he is encouraging me and has even tried finding new exercises to help with some of my trouble zones. And the water works can't hurt. Good Luck, hope everything gets better.