Weight training and calories?

Options
Is there any way to calculate how many calories you burned after using various weight lifting machines? Today at the gym I decided to test myself to see where I was at regarding weight training. I had a personal time limit for how long I was supposed to be at the gym, so not much time was spent doing cardio. For a good hour I was using the weight lifting machines. Apparently, MFP doesn't calculate calories lost for that. I'm a little disappointed. I worked really hard today. Does anyone know any webs sites that can help calculate the calories I burned? I have the names of the machines (seated leg press for example) and the amount of work I did plus the weight's lifted.

Replies

• elbandito
    Options
    If you search under cardio for weight lifting, you'll find some options. I don't know how accurate it is, but you can at least log /something/.

I'm lifting hard for an hour every two days, and it says about 330 cals per hour. I figure that might be understating it a little, but better to capture it than not. :D
  • clong1985
    Options
    If you go under the cardiovascular exercise category and search for weight lifting or strength training, there is an approximation in there for calories burned time-wise. Not sure how accurate it is, but it's at least a rough idea. I don't find it useful as far as progress though, so I keep track of that in a notebook (weight lifted, reps, sets, etc.)
    I think a lot of people on here have had good luck with heart rate monitors to accurately track calories burned during weight lifting as well.
  • Katie187
    Options
    Yep, i also capture it under Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)
  • utilena
    utilena Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your body knows!
  • noctuae
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the responses! I'll look into it.
    Side question: Are you really able to use heart rate monitors to calc. calories lost? That would be a life saver.

&@utilena: Oh, yes. It does know. Lol. So sore yesterday.