Is coffee good/bad for you?

Options
I love coffee and I drink it on a regular basis. I drink it black with no sugar or sweeteners. The calories for it on mfp are so negligible (5) that i dont even track it in my diary. I have been doing this for years and have always assumed it was pretty much the same as water. Someone told me recently that it does have a negative impact on my weight loss though. Something about the caffiene impeding weight loss and that it really does have a bunch of calories. I had never heard this before but i was wondering if anyone else had. thanks

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and I drink it on a regular basis. I drink it black with no sugar or sweeteners. The calories for it on mfp are so negligible (5) that i dont even track it in my diary. I have been doing this for years and have always assumed it was pretty much the same as water. Someone told me recently that it does have a negative impact on my weight loss though. Something about the caffiene impeding weight loss and that it really does have a bunch of calories. I had never heard this before but i was wondering if anyone else had. thanks

it only has a bunch of cals if you add lots of sugar/creamers etc to it. And research has shown time and time again that caffeine is beneficial to weight loss
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I have always been under the impression that the opposite is true, that if anything it helps buy getting your heart pumping a little faster. If you drink it straight up and black, the a couple of coffees a day wont do you any harm. Gosh I hope that's true or I'm in trouble :P
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Coffee good, keep on drinking.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Honestly a cup a day is not going to hurt you at all! I drink a cup a day and it has not affected my weight loss at all. Enjoy it!!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    And it hydrates you! Count them towards you daily fluid intake! :D
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Coffee good, keep on drinking.

Yes. Coffee good. Not coffee bad!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Like you, I drink my coffee black with no sugar. I don't bother logging it either as 2 or 3 cals twice a day isn't going to change anything! If I have a latte (I don't do those flavoured candy confections, but I do like a skinny latte now and again) then I log it as there are a whole lot more calories.
    I understand that it can be beneficial to weight loss and exercise - I think I run better when I've had a cup of coffee first!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It's negligible calories and can help you power through a workout a little harder. Drink up! In moderation and without sugar, etc.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee :drinker:
  • soupandsandwich
    soupandsandwich Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hope it's good for you too. I just got Kcup machine. I know to watch the flavors, but I think a lot still minimal calories. I started with the coffee, to try and get off the diet soda, which I have been drinking in the morning. I need to get my caffeine from a different source, and I assumed coffee would be better than diet soda. As long as it's not loaded with sugar and creams, etc.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If coffee not good, me quit. Everything.:drinker:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Coffee is awesome.
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee!! I have been trying very hard to cut down only because I love flavored creamers. I have drank coffe ongoing and it has not stopped me from losing. I of course have to log mine because the creamer.:happy:
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm a die hard coffe drinker also. Straight black coffee is what? about 5 cals? I've never heard about it impeding weight loss. Caffeine is a stimulant and some use it as a diuretic. Anyway you look at it, it is mostly water, so I don't know where the calories are coming from (that you're friend is talking about).

Now starbucks drink of the season....that's a whole other story.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I hope it's good for you too. I just got Kcup machine. I know to watch the flavors, but I think a lot still minimal calories. I started with the coffee, to try and get off the diet soda, which I have been drinking in the morning. I need to get my caffeine from a different source, and I assumed coffee would be better than diet soda. As long as it's not loaded with sugar and creams, etc.

I'm doing the same thing now. Gotta kick the Diet Coke. I've been experimenting mixing coffee with milk or soy milk. It's still low in calories and not bad at all.
  • danginar
    Options
    coffee is low in calories, but the bigger issue is that it is a flushes water from your body. I have always been told as long as you aren't adding creamers and you compensate the same amount in water then you should be okay. It is the caffeine that causes the problem, no different than drinking other caffeinated beverages such as diet soda.
  • danginar
    Options
    coffee would be better than diet soda due to the sodium content in soda.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe it is good for you. Cause I drink 4-6 cups daily black, very strong and if I can't have my coffee,... whats left? Coffee has to be good right Toto?!!!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    I firmly believe it is good for you. Cause I drink 4-6 cups daily black, very strong and if I can't have my coffee,... whats left? Coffee has to be good right Toto?!!!

Has to be!! :drinker: