How much weight is too much to lose in one week?

Options
I am sure everyone has seen the biggest loser on t.v. and seeing people lose 10 and more pounds in a week. Do you think this is too much? Is it healthy? Has anyone on here done it and how?

Replies

• Mswonderful4u
    Mswonderful4u Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am sure everyone has seen the biggest loser on t.v. and seeing people lose 10 and more pounds in a week. Do you think this is too much? Is it healthy? Has anyone on here done it and how?
  • jcpm98
    jcpm98 Posts: 114
    Options
    The most that I have lost in one week is 5 pounds, my goal is 2 ounds a week. I don't know how I did 5 pounds in one week but I ran with it, lol. Anyway my opinion is no more than 2 or 3 pounds a week otherwise it isn't healthy.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It's also my understanding that 1 -2 pounds per week is ideal for healthy weight loss. More than that can set you up for regaining it quickly.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I think about 5 lbs is the most I've lost in one week. I think anything more than 2 lbs/week for any extended period of time would be too fast.

The people on that show are mostly morbidly obese. Their diets are strictly monitored, and they work out for what, 6 hours a day probably? Of course the weight will fall off!

I've also read stories about the contestants on the show going on liquid diets, starving themselves, and even quitting putting ANYTHING (including water) into their bodies for up to 48 hours before a weigh-in (especially the finale).
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The general consensus is 1-2 lbs per week. However, individuals like those on BL who are approaching, or are, morbidly obese, are at such a great risk due to their obesity that they lose weight at a faster pace. It's more important for them to lose weight than it is to take it slowly because the excess weight is an immediate threat; a depressed metabolism can be fixed later on. Also, they have dieticians, trainers, and doctors supervising their weight loss and have a large amount of body fat to use for energy.

If you do inadvertently lose more than 2 lbs for a week or two, that's okay. But since you mentioned in your other thread that you are feeling very fatigued, cutting calories too far and losing too quickly can definitely cause that. In almost all cases, it's better to lose 1-2 lbs per week than it is to try to lose a ton of weight every week. It's more sustainable and will leave you with a healthier body.
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    I've also read stories about the contestants on the show going on liquid diets, starving themselves, and even quitting putting ANYTHING (including water) into their bodies for up to 48 hours before a weigh-in (especially the finale).

I would totally go into a bodybuilding cut. You can bet your *kitten* I'd consult my body out to a professional to take me down to the day of the weigh in. Those guys can absolutely drain water out of their bodies. And from the past few seasons, a few lbs of water can either make you rich or leave you with a great body..

I'd rather have both!

I wouldn't ever try and lose more than 2-3 lbs and thats pushing it...more realistic is 1-2 lbs- but for me anything over, I am usually losing muscle too not just fat.
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I also watch Biggest Looser and it's great watching those people loose weight. Just keep in mind that
    1. These contestants spend their entire days working out and putting all of their emphasis on loosing weight with professional trainers and doctors. We live in the real world of work, chores, kids, etc. I simply don't have time to work out all day long.
    2. Most experts agree that if you intend to keep the weight off, 1-2 lbs per week is the best bet and the healthiest choice.
    3. Didn't that guy who won in the Biggest Looser gain back half the weight he lost already? Something like 107 lbs.

Take your time, eat healthy (at least most of the time :wink: ), excercise regulary, and you will get it done!