Save money on groceries!

alecta337
alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
edited October 4 in Chit-Chat
Hey guys and gals

I just wanted to tell you all that you need to start using coupons to your advantage. About 4 ago I started using coupons, but I never really got organized, I just randomly chose some coupons I wanted to use and went to the store. Using this method I saved 10-20% on my grocery bills.

This last month I have been using this website krazycouponlady.com which lists every single item on sale that also has a coupon for it (it lists which newspaper it was in, what day, and if there is also an online coupon for it). The trick is to wait until an item is on sale and then use your coupons, so you get extra savings! Using this website I have saved 45-75% off on my grocery trips. Its amazing!

Also, for people who think there's only coupons for unhealthy food. This is not true! I agree there aren't many coupons for fresh produce, but many of the frozen items that are just as healthy as fresh regularly have coupons.

Even if you want to buy the same specific type of food you already get. You can use coupons for your personal hygiene items, OTC medicine, feminine products, hair stuff, body wash, etc.

I just thought you all should know about how coupons can help you out so much. I wish I had been doing this for so much longer! If you have any questions, you can message me. But I am just a beginner at this, so don't be too harsh, haha

Well, happy shopping!!

Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    yep! huuge coupon-er here and i save 60 to 99% on groceries as well. unfo it's mostly unhealthy goods but still a great savings for a large fam like mine
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Thanks for the info! I have been wanting to try out couponing, but didn't know how!
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    I love Extreme Couponing on TLC! We started getting the Sunday paper just to get coupons! I haven't gotten organized to do it yet though, I will definitely try this out, thank you!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Lots of BOGO deals!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Great idea on using them for frozen produce and other non-food related items!

For healthy fresh produce, I usually shop Asian markets. They're usually half the price per lb than the large chains we're familiar with.

I don't buy newspapers myself but will buy coupons in bulk quanties whenever there's a good sale on something I use/consume. I don't imagine coupon sellers making much money for the time they take to collect, handle and make the coupons available. I definitely appreciate the service they offer.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Been couponing for about 4 years too - before the TLC show came in and ruined a lot of couponing and resulted in stores changing their policies -

Yes you can get healthy food, yes you can save insane ammounts of cash :) I get a lot of naysayers about that on here

My advice is to find a blogger LOCAL to your area that runs your local grocery store match ups - because a lot of things are hihgly regional and you'll get the info a lot faster on clearanced as well as local info that may not be just groceries (but other freebeas) for example in Phoenix theres a massage place that gives a 30 min free massage on vets day - made an appt for my hubby today!
    I do not endorse using ANY pay for websites b/c people give the information out there for free - and you don't need to do any of the match up leg work on any given week.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    bumping for later
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Been couponing for about 4 years too - before the TLC show came in and ruined a lot of couponing and resulted in stores changing their policies -

Yes you can get healthy food, yes you can save insane ammounts of cash :) I get a lot of naysayers about that on here

My advice is to find a blogger LOCAL to your area that runs your local grocery store match ups - because a lot of things are hihgly regional and you'll get the info a lot faster on clearanced as well as local info that may not be just groceries (but other freebeas) for example in Phoenix theres a massage place that gives a 30 min free massage on vets day - made an appt for my hubby today!
    I do not endorse using ANY pay for websites b/c people give the information out there for free - and you don't need to do any of the match up leg work on any given week.

I agree about the stupid TLC show! It's not even realistic. Here, none of my stores even double coupons, so there's no way to haul the stuff they do at that price.

Even if people don't want to coupon, shopping sales will still be a huge savings. I sent hubby to walmart over the weekend with a decent list (I haven't reorganized my coupon stash yet or read that weeks sales) and just said get waht we need and be done with it. He spent way more than I usually do, and said "Ummmm yeah, you should start couponing again." This is the same man that looked at me like I had two heads when I started doing it and got excited about my savings. :grumble:
This discussion has been closed.