Bread bloat?

Options
Yesterday I had for breakfast wholemeal toast, and then had a wholemeal bread sandwich with my soup for lunch, and again more bread at dinner time.....today I still feel horrendous, and really bloated. I never usually have that much bread in a day, once if at all but yesterday got caught up with tonnes of work and had no time to prepare food...it was either food prep or workout, I chose workout. Is this normal for anyone else or should I consider wheat intolerance?

Replies

• shesgrand
    shesgrand Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find this topic to be very interesting because I have been suspecting the same in my own life. The day after too many baked goods I don't feel well at all. I hope we get some answers, thanks for posting this :)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Could be gluten intolerance, or issues with the yeast, or, if you're not used to a lot of fiber, the sudden increase in fiber (I'm assuming whole meal = whole grain) can do it too.
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I find that I bloat after eating whole grains. From what I have read about whole grains that is that they are high in fiber which then makes you feel full thus not eating. However, eating too much whole grains can make you bloated and constipaed. A friend of mine sufferes from wheat tolerance so now she is on a gluten-free diet. One of the symptoms that she recieved were servere rashes all over her body. Hope this helps.
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with shop bought bread - I rarely had more than 2 or 3 slices a day but my stomach would swell up like a football and I would feel generally blurgh!

Since I bought a bread machine about 3 years ago and started making my own I've not had a problem - I've been told that it's probably the extra stuff they put in to make it rise faster and last longer that is the problem for me, as I don't have the same reaction to other foods containing wheat.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I found that I'm OK on wholemeal bread, but white bread really does bloat me, and gives me erm.... problems (sorry if TMI!)

I rarely eat more than 2 slices of bread a week now, a bit different from when I was on self destruct at my heaviest, eating practically a whole a loaf a day!
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I'll have to give it a miss for a few days and limit it again..... I love bread and do not want to have to give it up! I buy bakers fresh bread, never shop bought supermarket bread but I think I'll try making it myself again see if that makes a difference, good tip!! :smile:
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If possible, do an intolerance test and find out what your body rejects. You might be gluten-intolerant, it's quite common. But check it out, if you get the chance.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    This is interesting to me too. I used to have wheat based cereal for breakfast (special K), sandwich for lunch and or potaoes, rice, pasta etc for dinner and I really struggled to lose weight even with exercising intensely I only managed 9lbs in 4 months. I used to fluctuate by 3-6lbs A DAY in water retention.

Then I went gluten free/low carb - mainly out of desperation to lose weight... but then dropped another 9lbs in about 5 weeks!

I switched to gluten free bread and have it once a week.. I allow rice krispies or oats for breakfast (i suspect Its just wheat gluten I have a sensitivity to), salad or soup for lunch then dinner is salad or vegetables with fish or white meat.. for most meals potatoes etc are substituted with butternut squash, parsnip chips, sweet potato (allow once a week) or cauliflower whizzed up to size of rice/cous cous then steamed in microwave (in place of rice). Now I fluctuate by 1lb a day and only stays up by 1 lb next day (and goes up another pound) if I haven't been to the bathroom.. then it goes back down again... but much better than 4-5lbs a day which was my average.

Occassionally I throw in a jacket potato once a week or allow chips as long as I stick to diet rest of week I find one day doesn't make a difference to water retention... if i go back to carbs 2-3days in a row my water retention goes back up to around 3-5lbs a day.
  • Quaters
    Quaters Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am the same bread makes me bloated it makes me hungry after about an hour after i have had it, if i stop the bread especially at breakfast i am not starving all day, i also have the gluten free in the freezer if i have the need , i only like it for toast gluten free that is.
  • AH2013
    Options
    This is interesting to me too. I used to have wheat based cereal for breakfast (special K), sandwich for lunch and or potaoes, rice, pasta etc for dinner and I really struggled to lose weight even with exercising intensely I only managed 9lbs in 4 months. I used to fluctuate by 3-6lbs A DAY in water retention.

Then I went gluten free/low carb - mainly out of desperation to lose weight... but then dropped another 9lbs in about 5 weeks!

I switched to gluten free bread and have it once a week.. I allow rice krispies or oats for breakfast (i suspect Its just wheat gluten I have a sensitivity to), salad or soup for lunch then dinner is salad or vegetables with fish or white meat.. for most meals potatoes etc are substituted with butternut squash, parsnip chips, sweet potato (allow once a week) or cauliflower whizzed up to size of rice/cous cous then steamed in microwave (in place of rice). Now I fluctuate by 1lb a day and only stays up by 1 lb next day (and goes up another pound) if I haven't been to the bathroom.. then it goes back down again... but much better than 4-5lbs a day which was my average.

Occassionally I throw in a jacket potato once a week or allow chips as long as I stick to diet rest of week I find one day doesn't make a difference to water retention... if i go back to carbs 2-3days in a row my water retention goes back up to around 3-5lbs a day.

Glad I'm not the only one.....this will explain my sudden 3lb on this morning! I'm drinking water today like there's a drought coming just to get rid of extra water.......going to avoid wheat for a bit if I can. I doubt I can get gluten free in this part of the world.....too fancy for these folks but I'll look! Thanks again everyone :)
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    try sourdough bread
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If possible, do an intolerance test and find out what your body rejects. You might be gluten-intolerant, it's quite common. But check it out, if you get the chance.

It isn't gluten intolerance- gluten intolerance =coeliac disease = you would be unwell, with diarrhoea and losing weight like crazy. That is a serious condition, with potentially serious consequences, and would mean cutting out all gluten (not just bread) for the rest of your life
    The 'intolerance tests' are pretty much all garbage- wouldn't recommend them at all.
    Sounds like you're just a bit bloated after the big carb load- hope you feel better later!
  • AH2013
    Options

It isn't gluten intolerance- gluten intolerance =coeliac disease = you would be unwell, with diarrhoea and losing weight like crazy. That is a serious condition, with potentially serious consequences, and would mean cutting out all gluten (not just bread) for the rest of your life
    The 'intolerance tests' are pretty much all garbage- wouldn't recommend them at all.
    Sounds like you're just a bit bloated after the big carb load- hope you feel better later!

Thanks for that.....def not gluten intolerance, I just have a sore tum and feel bleugh that's all....still today even...I tell you what, it's put me right off bread for a while, that's for sure!

Thanks again for all the advice from everyone :)
  • stacygettinskinny
    Options
    I gave up white bread about a month ago. But last weekend had some white bread hamburger/hot dog buns at a cookout and was bloated all week. This past weekend I had some white bread out at a family gathering and now I am bloated today. But I don't have the problem with whole wheat or whole grain. Which is odd since I never had this problem before. I really wish I could give up bread alltogether, but I like it too much lol